Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tell you owning a black truck is tough BUT for some reason I am getting SO MANY blemishes. I am getting pretty deep scratches and I have no clue where they are coming from? I don't know if this paint is soft or if I need a good coat of wax or what? How is everyone else's experiences with the XD?

·
122 Posts
Ive got a black one with some light clear coat scratches but I am an idiot and went through one of those brush car washes.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I saw a blue one in the showroom with its share of marks. Thought to myself glad I got white. Mind you I have to keep on top of rail/brake dust spots.

·
1,979 Posts
Don't worry about the imperfections, Nissan uses the cheapest clear coat they can find so in a few years everything will be peeling off anyways.

·
608 Posts
I'm sure that waxing it to protect the paint yourself is a good way to prevent scratches from happening as easily/frequently. Can't really think of much else you can do other than being careful not to do anything that would scratch your vehicle.

·
404 Posts
I tell you owning a black truck is tough BUT for some reason I am getting SO MANY blemishes. I am getting pretty deep scratches and I have no clue where they are coming from? I don't know if this paint is soft or if I need a good coat of wax or what? How is everyone else's experiences with the XD?
Lol check out all the Titans on the road and 25%+ will have a rusty roof or no clear coat at all.

I was actually cleaning mine the other day and noticed a good sized blemish on the roof above the drivers side door. Probably 4-6" circle that is very cloudy. Haven't had a chance to attempt to buff it out. Hopefully it's just excess wax from the dealership.

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not really like dull spots or anything like that. Just many scratches. And not like the brush scratches the dealer did when they washed it. It seems to be deeper scratches? I mean I use a truck for a truck but it looks like I drove through a briar patch (but not that bad). Just my 2 cents. Not sure what the paint warranty is though...

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
I think that was my only issue with my black 2012 titan. After a winter of driving and our sand/salt spray, the box sides with design bulge out in front of the rear tire and seem to catch the brunt of front tire debris. Once spring rolled around from the bottom to half way up my box side was turning grey with wear. I took it to the dealer. They said it was common, I said if I had of known I would have 3m'd it from new. They repainted my box sides. I never 3m'd it and 2 years later it still looked like new.

·
99 Posts
Nissan paint is notoriously soft. To keep the black looking good you need to avoid all automated tunnel washes. It's really best to wash it yourself in all honesty (if you have the time), second best being a hand wash.

Checkout detailingbliss.com . Great detailing forum with tons of expert advise.

There are some aftermarket ceramic clear coat options available to go on top of your OEM paint (Modesta, Opticoat, etc.) but they will do next to nothing in protecting your paint if you don't properly wash the vehicle (two bucket method, clean mitts + towels, etc.)

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Lucas slick mist and new micro fibers have always been my best friend with black vehicles. When I got my white f150 last spring I didn't know what to do with myself, alot less time vehicle cleaning. But the wife still has a black wrangler unlimited.

·
120 Posts
Wax does not keep you vehicle from scratches period. Invest in a glass coat is 22ple, polish angel cosmic or chemical guys. Get a good polish cem guys, p.a, menzerna, or ammo. This do not have fillers.
1st was truck
2ND clay bare truck
3 polish with correction polish

Almost forgot get a good d/a polisher, flex is ok Rupes and Torq are pretty much the same. But the torq has a stronger motor it would be a little more aggressive. Meaning on edges and indentations I will still spin.

4th jewel polish. Make sure you have all maring cleared
5 1/2 h20 1/2 isopropyl alcohol. Wipe down truck
6 apply your glass coat twice as-per specs.
7 NOW apply a wax.

Yeah the process takes a long time but it lasts a long time. It's well well worth a weekend a year

·
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much would this type of detail cost to have done? I looked into the torq2 per your last post and it was I think like $375. Didn't know how much I would have into it If I just took to a professional detail shop?

·
120 Posts
How much would this type of detail cost to have done? I looked into the torq2 per your last post and it was I think like $375. Didn't know how much I would have into it If I just took to a professional detail shop?
About 600$ for full paint detail. Idk for a glass coat. Seen some prices like 1500 for polish angel. I would never bring it to a shop let alone a dealer. Antiquated stuff around here. Also the sealant you get from the dealer that last a lifetime is S#!+. You pay 800 bucks and people think they're gtg. In the last 3 years car care has eclipsed its self 3 to 4 times. Was give a care a soft warm look which I like. But paint sealants give it protection. There's some decent sealants for 50 bucks. Menzerna, chem guys m109 and a few others I can't remember. But last like 6 to 8 months. In some cases 375$ won't even buy the product then they charge 50$ an hr. It would probably on a clean truck take a solid 10 hrs to get it to glass coat then another 12hrs for glass with drying in between. Uv lights speed up that process greatly. I'm not talking about the flash wash single polish with a roterty polisher a single wax that leaves ghosting all over the car.

·
77 Posts
My 2005 Silver Titan still looked like new after 9 years and it sat outside its hole life. Hand washes and wax about 4 times a year seemed to keep it looking good.

·
38 Posts
My 2008.5 smoke looked brand new and I belong to a drive thru car wash club....almost daily! I use Royal Purple wax a couple times a year. Got lucky I guess.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts