Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 XD with the diesel and have been trying to gauge what I get for MPG. Empty at 65mph I get 20mpg.The problem is I can drive down the same road a day later and the truck is getting 17mpg.No big change like wind or weather so what gives? Also when pulling an empty enclosed 16ft trailer(3000lbs) I get about 13mpg.This is what my old powerstroke used to get pulling a 32ft travel trailer. I'm really starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my truck, I've read about others getting 20-21mpg at 70mph.

·
465 Posts
I'm pretty sure the variance you are seeing on identical roads would be related to regen cycles. I would speculate that you will see approximately the same mileage for the same conditions on the same road MOST of the time and OCCASIONALLY see an instant read out for the same situation that is lower due to it being in regen and dumping more fuel into exhaust to burn off the carbon.

I would say that your reported mileage for a loaded trailer is in line with what most of us see, but it will stay fairly level even when you increase the weight. As noted in other threads, one of the largest factors is wind resistance and that is going to be about the same whether you are towing a trailer that is 16ft long or 25ft long so long as they have similar front profiles. There are a lot of other factors which may effect pulling resistance (eg. Bias vs Radial tires, single vs double axle, brakes or no brakes on trailer, weight distribution), I've even observed variances due to the type of axle or bearings in the wheel hubs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
308 Posts
I have a 2016 XD with the diesel and have been trying to gauge what I get for MPG. Empty at 65mph I get 20mpg.The problem is I can drive down the same road a day later and the truck is getting 17mpg.No big change like wind or weather so what gives? Also when pulling an empty enclosed 16ft trailer(3000lbs) I get about 13mpg.This is what my old powerstroke used to get pulling a 32ft travel trailer. I'm really starting to wonder if there's something wrong with my truck, I've read about others getting 20-21mpg at 70mph.
65 and under is definitely the mpg sweet spot for my truck, and with my air dam off and with 265s replacing my stock 245s, I'm getting 16.9 in combined city/highway driving, including regens. I experienced the same thing trailer-wise as you did - I do better with a full trailer than an empty one, just because I think an empty utility trailer with a ramp acts like a sail given the aerodynamics of our particular trucks.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be honest I had really hoped for better from this truck. I used to get about 9mpg pulling my 32ft trailer with my 5.4 triton and if I drove 65ish I'd get high teens mpg. I'm now wondering if my Titans economy will drop to near this when I pull a bigger load. Hopefully not.

·
35 Posts
We're tracking MPGs with different oil additives, and without.
I can say without hesitation, MotorKote is coming out on top, followed by Aimsoil & HotShot (equal), and last is straight oil. Typically we're seeing 1.5mpg improvement over straight oil, everything in the truck is stock (except tires are just slightly larger).

As you suggested, our sweet spot for best MPG is +-65mph, maybe closer to 70mph.
Regens just KILL mpgs, like Diesel #1 drops us at least 1 mpg, so we always look for Diesel #2 (the down side is more regens, but the fuel economy makes up for it).

We recently added MK to power steering and transmission, and then hit a F-king deer, a nice big buck who hit perfectly flat against the front, missing both headlights, but crushing the intercoolers, trans-cooler, bent the radiator just barely, and ran up a $11,350 repair bill. As soon as it gets out of the shop, the truck gets a grill guard, whether I make it, or buy it, the damage to the front end - which looked minor - was extensive and expensive! And.. the 8 point buck, shook it off, and ran down the highway.. didn't even lose a drop of blood, patch of hair, etc., all damage was wifey's truck.

·
1,507 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be honest I had really hoped for better from this truck. I used to get about 9mpg pulling my 32ft trailer with my 5.4 triton and if I drove 65ish I'd get high teens mpg. I'm now wondering if my Titans economy will drop to near this when I pull a bigger load. Hopefully not.
I'm averaging 11 mpg towing a 33' bumper pull camper weighing almost 9k loaded (guessing weight).

·
83 Posts
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but I noticed something odd today and wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else. A couple of days ago my DEF low 35% warning came on. I was already planning on refilling the DEF tank soon, but have been riding on as normal in the meantime. This morning I left for work and it was at 30%. I needed fuel, so I stopped at one of the several stations along my route that has diesel, and one of which I have filled up at previously. When I left home my cruising range was at 65 miles and my low fuel warning came on. I don't like running my tank that low, and rarely do. I've just been a bit on the lazy side lately. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Anyway, I noticed that my cruising range was dropping quickly and thought maybe I was doing a regen. I verified I wasn't by viewing my MPG display and saw that it quickly jumped up to 30 whenever I would let off the go pedal. During regens, it doesn't do this, as we all know. Anyway, I stopped at WaWa and filled up. Normally, after a fill up, my cruising range will show anywhere between 408 and 420 miles. This time, I was shocked to see the range was only 325 miles! I was wondering if it was reading that way because the DEF was so low? Not sure how or why that would have anything to do with it. Just asking out of curiosity. On my lunch break I went to Autozone and got some DEF and refilled the DEF tank. My cruising range still shows 300 some odd miles to Empty, but my needle hasn't budged off of Full.

·
2017 Titan XD
74 Posts
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but I noticed something odd today and wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else. A couple of days ago my DEF low 35% warning came on. I was already planning on refilling the DEF tank soon, but have been riding on as normal in the meantime. This morning I left for work and it was at 30%. I needed fuel, so I stopped at one of the several stations along my route that has diesel, and one of which I have filled up at previously. When I left home my cruising range was at 65 miles and my low fuel warning came on. I don't like running my tank that low, and rarely do. I've just been a bit on the lazy side lately. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Anyway, I noticed that my cruising range was dropping quickly and thought maybe I was doing a regen. I verified I wasn't by viewing my MPG display and saw that it quickly jumped up to 30 whenever I would let off the go pedal. During regens, it doesn't do this, as we all know. Anyway, I stopped at WaWa and filled up. Normally, after a fill up, my cruising range will show anywhere between 408 and 420 miles. This time, I was shocked to see the range was only 325 miles! I was wondering if it was reading that way because the DEF was so low? Not sure how or why that would have anything to do with it. Just asking out of curiosity. On my lunch break I went to Autozone and got some DEF and refilled the DEF tank. My cruising range still shows 300 some odd miles to Empty, but my needle hasn't budged off of Full.
My truck range varies from 325 to 400 most of the time. I wouldn't worry about it as I've stayed the same in economy even if the range says differently.

·
160 Posts
Did you happen to notice when filling if it was a high blend of biodiesel? When I am forced to run A higher blend of biodiesel I notice my mpg drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
198 Posts
I didn't notice, but I'm fairly certain WaWa doesn't sell biodiesel, at least not around here.
I've never seen biodiesel at Wawa either, only thing outside the norm I've ever seen is E85 gasoline at a few locations.

·
83 Posts
Well I'm not at all sure why it was showing 325 miles after a fill up, but it looks like the computer adjusted itself because I am at 1/2 tank now and it is showing a 210 mile cruising range. Odd, but not really an issue to me unless it happens again.

·
67 Posts
depending on your current mpg your range will differ. if i fill up and have crap mpg i’ll get low 300 miles, if i fill up and just got off the highway with great 20+ mpg i’ll show 400 plus mpg

·
465 Posts
I've never bothered to figure out just how many miles/how much time the trip computer needs to receive updated mpg data before it adjusts the DTE numbers but it isn't instantaneous *although it does seen more responsive when you are down to 50 miles to empty or lower. The DTE number after fill up spends a fair amount of time being calculated by the last mpg on the prior tank.

It's kinda crazy how interested we all are about this crutch we have been given and how worried we all get when we aren't sure if it is right. Kinda' like how no one calculates their change from a purchase in their head anymore and the clerks have no idea if it is right nor how to count out change so we all just go along with it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
253 Posts
depending on your current mpg your range will differ. if i fill up and have crap mpg i’ll get low 300 miles, if i fill up and just got off the highway with great 20+ mpg i’ll show 400 plus mpg
Same. Usually says 340-350 daily, although I never make it that far. After Highway and getting 17-20 it will say 420-440. But then changes back when I’m back to daily.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts