Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my remote start kit from dealer today. Installed the new hood latch that comes with the kit and now i just have to contact the dealer to have the new remotes programmed....

I'm going to put in writing on the service ticket that they are NOT to update my engine or transmission computers in any way.... Don't want my tune disturbed! :wink2:

·
887 Posts
You also want to tell them you want to keep the remotes you have now as they will take them. I would have wanted mine as a spare incase my remote start fobs would quit working and they wouldn't let me keep them. Said their instructions were to keep them and dispose of... aka put on their personal eBay site

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You also want to tell them you want to keep the remotes you have now as they will take them. I would have wanted mine as a spare incase my remote start fobs would quit working and they wouldn't let me keep them. Said their instructions were to keep them and dispose of... aka put on their personal eBay site
Not only was i told that, but the installation instructions say the same thing...

·
887 Posts
I don't get it... that keeping a spare would be such a bad thing. If they are worried about possibly using the wrong one or messing up the programming you could always take the batteries out

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What does something like this cost? As for installing, how hard was it?

Thanks.
The kit comes with a new hood latch assembly....15 minutes to install. Then you go to the dealer and they have to program the 2 new remotes that come with the kit.... That's it. I paid $250 for the kit and I don't know yet what it will cost to have the remotes programmed. I'll find out this morning when I make my appointment to have it done.

·
629 Posts
The kit comes with a new hood latch assembly....15 minutes to install. Then you go to the dealer and they have to program the 2 new remotes that come with the kit.... That's it. I paid $250 for the kit and I don't know yet what it will cost to have the remotes programmed. I'll find out this morning when I make my appointment to have it done.

Thanks, I’ll be following this for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1 Posts
Got mine done the other day. $215 for parts and $85 for the install. Also, I asked them if I could keep the original key fobs and they said yes, but I had to bring them in for programming when they did the install. They have to program them all at the same time. (well thats what they told me)

·
324 Posts
Sorry I have to ask, what is different about the good latch that i5 needs replaced?

Search the web, there is likely an instruction out there to self program your fobs. I did it on both my other Titans and my GM truck

·
1,331 Posts
So all there is to getting remote start is installing a different hood latch and of course programming the key fob, that can’t be right.

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I have to ask, what is different about the good latch that i5 needs replaced?

Search the web, there is likely an instruction out there to self program your fobs. I did it on both my other Titans and my GM truck
The hood latch is different in one very small way.... If you go look at your XD's hood latch w/o remote start, you will see just to the left of the assembly a wire with a connector on it that is not being used... The new hood latch comes with a connector that plugs into that wiring harness. It is an electronic "safety" that apparently keeps you from remote starting if the hood is up.... That's it!

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So all there is to getting remote start is installing a different hood latch and of course programming the key fob, that can’t be right.

Believe it...That's all there is to it! Technically, you don't even need the new hood latch, it's just a safety mechanism. If you bought some remote start fobs on ebay, you could have them programmed to remote start your truck. The programming to remote start is already in the engine computer. You just need to program the fobs to access it.

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got mine done the other day. $215 for parts and $85 for the install. Also, I asked them if I could keep the original key fobs and they said yes, but I had to bring them in for programming when they did the install. They have to program them all at the same time. (well thats what they told me)
I'm going to ask about that when I get to my appointment this morning at 10am.... That sounds more reasonable to me...

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I'm all set.... The dealer programmed the new remotes for the remote start and he agreed to program my old remote also and give it back to me. Obviously, it won't remote start the truck, but it will still get me in the truck and allow use of the push button start.
The only extra thing I bought while there were the 2 "keys" that lock into the remotes. Those don't come in the remote start kit. But, w/o those, there is no loop to attach the fobs to a key chain...

·
145 Posts
I've got a hypothesis on that. Only because I pored through the Owners Manual trying to troubleshoot an issue with my Remote Start.

What I found was that there are a few instances where the Remote Start will not function. I think there may be a few other reasons, but these were the most relevant.
1. Key is inside the vehicle. This was the problem I had as my wife had left her copy of the key in the glove box. This is obviously to prevent theft.
2. Hood is not latched. This is for safety. In the event someone is working on the engine, it could be bad if the engine were to start.

I'd guess that the hood latch is replaced with one that tells the truck that the hood is securely latched.

Out of curiosity, were there any other parts in the kit besides the hood latch? With all the connected electronics in vehicles today, most actually have remote start capability, but they just don't have a means to send the start signal from the key fob. A buddy of mine added remote start to his Jeep by addition of a module that linked in to the CAN BUS. He can now use his original remotes (without a Remote Start button) to start his Jeep. When he presses the door lock key 3 times within a specified time, the module recognizes that command and sends a start signal to the starter.

·
324 Posts
The hood latch is different in one very small way.... If you go look at your XD's hood latch w/o remote start, you will see just to the left of the assembly a wire with a connector on it that is not being used... The new hood latch comes with a connector that plugs into that wiring harness. It is an electronic "safety" that apparently keeps you from remote starting if the hood is up.... That's it!

Okay, that makes sense. The programming is more than the remotes, they have to turn on remote start in the ECU as well. That would be my guess.

How much were the fob keys?

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've got a hypothesis on that. Only because I pored through the Owners Manual trying to troubleshoot an issue with my Remote Start.

What I found was that there are a few instances where the Remote Start will not function. I think there may be a few other reasons, but these were the most relevant.
1. Key is inside the vehicle. This was the problem I had as my wife had left her copy of the key in the glove box. This is obviously to prevent theft.
2. Hood is not latched. This is for safety. In the event someone is working on the engine, it could be bad if the engine were to start.

I'd guess that the hood latch is replaced with one that tells the truck that the hood is securely latched.

Out of curiosity, were there any other parts in the kit besides the hood latch? With all the connected electronics in vehicles today, most actually have remote start capability, but they just don't have a means to send the start signal from the key fob. A buddy of mine added remote start to his Jeep by addition of a module that linked in to the CAN BUS. He can now use his original remotes (without a Remote Start button) to start his Jeep. When he presses the door lock key 3 times within a specified time, the module recognizes that command and sends a start signal to the starter.
The only parts in the kit are the new hood latch and two fobs.... Thats it! The tech told me today that the computer has all the codes to remote start in it already, the dealer just needs to "activate" the code and program the remotes...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts