Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Okay, that makes sense. The programming is more than the remotes, they have to turn on remote start in the ECU as well. That would be my guess.

How much were the fob keys?
The dealer charged me $20.00 each and that included cutting them.

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Considering all being done with the dealer, you must of sent your chick in to personally negotiate wearing a big smile. Unheard of deal you got!
Why didn't i think of that????
I hope my good relationship with the dealer will help me on Monday morning when I go in to see him about my headlight issue.... I believe it needs more than a new ballast and the last I heard headlight assemblies were $800.00 each.

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OK, I'm all set.... The dealer programmed the new remotes for the remote start and he agreed to program my old remote also and give it back to me. Obviously, it won't remote start the truck, but it will still get me in the truck and allow use of the push button start.
The only extra thing I bought while there were the 2 "keys" that lock into the remotes. Those don't come in the remote start kit. But, w/o those, there is no loop to attach the fobs to a key chain...
Forgot to add... I placed a huge note on the steering wheel and rear view mirror warning the tech not to upgrade my engine or transmission software. After the remotes were programmed, I got the truck back and the tech came out to see me. He said he laughed when he saw the notes because as soon as he started the engine and heard the exhaust/turbo he knew there had been a modification. Then he said he also has a Titan diesel and just deleted his....:angel:

·
836 Posts
Okay, that makes sense. The programming is more than the remotes, they have to turn on remote start in the ECU as well. That would be my guess.

How much were the fob keys?
The dealer charged me $20.00 each and that included cutting them.
Shane06fl, The programming just registers the fobs to the vehicle. The remote start option is usually already turned on in the module.

Bikerdiver, I might be wrong but I believe Shane06fl is asking about the fobs and I am guessing that you are referring to the mechanical keys for the fobs.

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Shane06fl, The programming just registers the fobs to the vehicle. The remote start option is usually already turned on in the module.

Bikerdiver, I might be wrong but I believe Shane06fl is asking about the fobs and I am guessing that you are referring to the mechanical keys for the fobs.
Yes, I am referring to the metal key that slides into the fob. I had to have to cut. $20.00 each to buy them and have them cut.

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Couldn’t you just take the metal keys out of your original key fobs and put them into the new key fobs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would work for the ONE original fob I have left...my wife lost one somewhere between NC and NH.... So if I'm going to buy one, I might as well just buy two and leave the original metal key in the original fob... Sigh...

·
901 Posts
OK, I'm all set.... The dealer programmed the new remotes for the remote start and he agreed to program my old remote also and give it back to me. Obviously, it won't remote start the truck, but it will still get me in the truck and allow use of the push button start.
The only extra thing I bought while there were the 2 "keys" that lock into the remotes. Those don't come in the remote start kit. But, w/o those, there is no loop to attach the fobs to a key chain...
Forgot to add... I placed a huge note on the steering wheel and rear view mirror warning the tech not to upgrade my engine or transmission software. After the remotes were programmed, I got the truck back and the tech came out to see me. He said he laughed when he saw the notes because as soon as he started the engine and heard the exhaust/turbo he knew there had been a modification. Then he said he also has a Titan diesel and just deleted his....
I wonder if he can still get warranty work done;)

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Nope you don't. I keep mine in my hitch locker
I placed a remote in a tupperware container, sealed it with waterproof tape and cable tied it up on top of the frame near the rear of the truck. I now have a spare remote with me. I'll take it down once a year and replace the battery. Losing a remote on a trip will never be a problem again...until it happens again...

·
174 Posts
I placed a remote in a tupperware container, sealed it with waterproof tape and cable tied it up on top of the frame near the rear of the truck. I now have a spare remote with me. I'll take it down once a year and replace the battery. Losing a remote on a trip will never be a problem again...until it happens again...
Hi

Is this out of range of the system, or can anyone without a key fob now open the cab?

russ

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi

Is this out of range of the system, or can anyone without a key fob now open the cab?

russ
Yeah, the back of the truck is out of range..... No issue with a drive off... Now, i'm assured that if, make that when, my wife loses her set of keys, I will have another ready to go no matter where we are.

·
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The remote start hood latch contains a "safety" switch that won't allow the truck to remote start if the hood is opened. If you do NOT have the remote start hood latch, it's POSSIBLE that the software in the computer, that must be turned on by the dealer...might let you remote start. It's just as possible that the software has a check built into it that looks for the safety switch and if it doesn't find it, won't let the remote start work....

The fobs themselves look like the right ones and should work once you pay the dealer to "turn on/activate" the remote start software. But I have no idea if the dealer would even do that w/o having the hood latch safety switch in place. Liability and all.....

·
273 Posts
If I bought a pair of these would they work without the hood latch!?!?!
You can find the kit online for around 200. It will include the latch that is required. Better to just go that route. My dealer had to verify I already installed the latch before they would program the remotes I gave them. I'd wager, from a liability standpoint, that there's no way they'd do it without it. It may not even work either, as the sensor is 2-wire and might show the hood being open without it.

·
30 Posts
Hey everyone first post as a Titan XD owner. Just wanted to add I just worked out buying the kit and having it installed for a one stop shop price of $328.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts