Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2017 Titan XD SV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. I just recently made an account, but I have been on a few times checking stuff out. I have a '17 SV with the Cummins and have liked it a lot over the last two years I've owned it. To make a long story short, I was a little disappointed with the Pedal Commander. I can definitely notice the responsiveness, but really only right off the line. Any other time I'm still waiting for my transmission to decide to shift down before anything happens. Once I get into gear, I feel a little more pull, but it certainly wasn't what I expected after the feedback I've read on here and all over for various vehicles. I only drove the truck for about 20 minutes after installing, and I'm planning to keep it, so if my opinion changes I will definitely update this post. I just wanted to share my opinion for anyone like myself looking for something to make this truck even better.

Now to make the long story long, and give you the reason why I ended up with a Pedal Commander anyways. I just recently got the chance to use my toy hauler 9 months after purchasing it (I know, it sucked lol), and after doing that I wanted to look into something for adding some performance. My trailer is 14k gross, and I didn't have it full of water or even close to the limit for toys , but there was one hill in particular that I was stuck at 45 the whole way up. I'm in Utah, so a lot of times we are going up and right back down a mountain into another basin. With that being said, coming the opposite direction I was 55-60, but it isn't nearly as steep on the backside. It was probably as steep and definitely as long of a hill as I will ever see while towing (I wish I knew the grade and distance for reference), but I was definitely a little bummed and wishing I had a truck with a 6.7L Cummins haha. On flat ground and small hills, this truck does amazing with my trailer, and even downhill too. The trans-braking and brakes are phenomenal. But, on the topic of brakes, I did notice a "0.9" code on my brake controller on the way back home. Seeing some stuff on here about that, it seems to be due to a ground issue with the trailer connection and a lot of people are seeing it with EOH trailer brakes, which I don't have. In my situation, the brakes on the trailer wouldn't work and then all of a sudden the gain would start showing and it was working just fine. I didn't notice this at all on the way to the campsite, and really didn't feel anything except at low speed testing with the controller and feeling nothing with the error code displayed, then suddenly functioning brakes.. My OE batteries had quite a bit of corrosion built up on the posts, so when I got home I cleaned them up really well and am hoping that may have been the issue. Otherwise, I'll be looking into my bed plug some more, even though I already checked connections and routing. Back to performance, I read all over what everyone thought was best and came to the conclusion I wanted an EZ Lynk and support from either HPP or PPEI, but I just couldn't justify the expense right now. I originally planned on getting a Scorcher, but I saw too much negative feedback about it. It's also halfway to the price of an EZ Lynk and tuner support, so I didn't do it. A lot of people seem to still have a Pedal Commander with their EZ Lynk and tunes and I've heard so much good stuff about them, so I decided to give one a try for now until I get the courage to buy a tuner and tunes. Hopefully this Pedal Commander wasn't a waste of my money, but right now I'm not very impressed with it.

Sorry for the incredibly long post, but just for fun I'll throw up a couple pictures of my truck with the trailer! They aren't great, but the first two are the day I picked it up without airbags, and the last one is before leaving for our trip, with the Airlift bags at 60 psi and after the truck has been leveled with a 3" spacer up front and a 1" spacer in the back! I use an Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel hitch that connects to my Curt Gooseneck ball. It's a great setup!
IMG-6760.jpg 58984316307--143DF5B0-91C7-42F2-99A4-914E4112B0CD.JPG adfsda.jpg

·
441 Posts
Re: Pedal Commander

It is a decent enough device but keep in mind all it really does is to not allow the accelerator input to drop to zero under most circumstances and then to increase the accelerator input at various points along the input curve.

I've always felt that given it's just a fancy signal amplifier the price is kinda high.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
2017 Titan XD SV
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Pedal Commander

It is a decent enough device but keep in mind all it really does is to not allow the accelerator input to drop to zero under most circumstances and then to increase the accelerator input at various points along the input curve.

I've always felt that given it's just a fancy signal amplifier the price is kinda high.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That’s honestly why I was always skeptical. I didn’t see how it would make the truck actually be faster, but I was recently thinking that maybe the ECU just needed to read that the pedal was moving quickly and it would make the truck move quickly haha. I don’t think the price was horrible. I was really just expecting more based off of reading everyone’s reactions, ya know? Maybe it will get better, but eventually I’ll have an EZ Lynk and hopefully there will still be someone tuning these trucks lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts