Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a manual adjustable high idle feature? Hands down the most usable feature on my '07 Dodge is the adjustable high idle via cruise control; turn cruise on, hit set and it goes to 1100rpm, then use the accel/decel buttons to increase or decrease that between 1100-1500rpm.

Makes those cold morning warmups effortless.

I've seen nothing on this, but it's not something that Dodge advertises for the 6.7 either.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
I know GM had the same feature on the duramax. Even if you were just sitting talking, the high idle smoothed the engine out and gave better AC performance.

Ford has a similar setup but it's handled via the up fitter system and RPM is controlled by resistance.

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know GM had the same feature on the duramax. Even if you were just sitting talking, the high idle smoothed the engine out and gave better AC performance.

Ford has a similar setup but it's handled via the up fitter system and RPM is controlled by resistance.
Yep. But I think both the GM and Ford are not adjustable; I know the Ford 6.4 you set the parking brake and hit the switch in the up fitter panel, like you said, and it went up to the preset level. Used it all the time sitting on location when I got a 6.4 truck to drive when I worked at Halliburton.

The GM I'm not sure what they have nor how it works.

I believe all three have an automatic high idle dependent on temp and such, two for sure have a manual one (Dodge/Ram and Ford).

I'm not 100% sure though, only know for sure what the Dodges have.

I hope it does.

I highly doubt it will though. Its nissans first rodeo with a diesel.
But it's not Cummins' first rodeo....that's what I'm crossing my fingers on.:grin2:

But, I have a feeling you're correct and it won't be there, they didn't even add an exhaust brake feature which surprised me.

Maybe both are things the aftermarket can supply; BD Diesel had exhaust brakes using stock turbos on the Duramax and the 6.4 before either were implemented OE, and BD also has a high idle switch for Cummins and the other two I believe.

Can always just carry around a brick for the petro peddle.
I actually do that with my '03 as '03 Dodges did not have the feature and cannot have it enabled. It's not a brick but a homemade adjustable stick. It works but you have to set it without revving the engine way up, and then adjust again as the truck idles down. The '07, set it and forget it. I may try the high idle that BD Diesel has for that '03, see if it works.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
Yep. But I think both the GM and Ford are not adjustable; I know the Ford 6.4 you set the parking brake and hit the switch in the up fitter panel, like you said, and it went up to the preset level. Used it all the time sitting on location when I got a 6.4 truck to drive when I worked at Halliburton.
On the 6.0L at least, if you ordered the upfitter kit with the high idle option it was preset to X RPM. Though because of the way the wiring is in the ford you can wire things yourself. A resister in line with the circuit would set the idle RPM. Some clever sorts devised using a potentiometer to have variable control over the RPM but I didn't try either mod for myself. Removing the seatbelt buzzer and the door/key buzzer made me happy enough.

But, I have a feeling you're correct and it won't be there, they didn't even add an exhaust brake feature which surprised me.
I don't know either way, but if the ISV uses a throttle plate like many other modern diesels have started doing, the vacuum drawn in combination with transmission braking may have been more than enough hold back for the weight the truck is designed to pull. Again, just a thought but untested.

Maybe both are things the aftermarket can supply; BD Diesel had exhaust brakes using stock turbos on the Duramax and the 6.4 before either were implemented OE, and BD also has a high idle switch for Cummins and the other two I believe.
The trust old 7.3L PowerStroke has a warm up valve behind the turbo. If you wire a switch with 12v to drive the solinoid for the valve and a relay that is tied into the idle microswitch on the throttle, you have a reasonable effective exhaust brake!

The engines you list I believe already used CVT/CNT turbos so exhaust brake was possible. In the case of GM the exhaust brake was in the programming for the Kodiak trucks that had the Duramax but disabled for the pickups. Not sure what years that was though.

I actually do that with my '03 as '03 Dodges did not have the feature and cannot have it enabled. It's not a brick but a homemade adjustable stick. It works but you have to set it without revving the engine way up, and then adjust again as the truck idles down. The '07, set it and forget it. I may try the high idle that BD Diesel has for that '03, see if it works.
I had a 30cm wooden school ruler I found in the basement of a rental house for exactly that purpose. I would wedge it between the throttle and the dash. I could get to about 1200 rpm, but liked 1000 the best.

·
1 Posts
Any new info on this?

Has anyone found anything out their to allow you to switch to a higher RPM while you let it idle?

Thanks

·
485 Posts
Letting it sit idling..esp at higher RPM is going to load your DPF unless you have deleted.

·
190 Posts
Letting it sit idling..esp at higher RPM is going to load your DPF unless you have deleted.
If you leave the diesel idling long enough the truck automatically increases rpm to over 1000 for the emissions system

I've never really felt like the xd needed one and its regularly -20 to -32*c around here in winter.

·
141 Posts
If you leave the diesel idling long enough the truck automatically increases rpm to over 1000 for the emissions system

I've never really felt like the xd needed one and its regularly -20 to -32*c around here in winter.
So the XD will regen at idle?

·
142 Posts
No, even at high idle of 1K rpm there isn't enough heat to clean the DPF. It's kinda like the truck is prepping to be in regen as soon as it starts moving at the appropriate speeds. I guess you could say its technically in the regen process sitting at idle since in regen the RPMs are a little higher with higher fuel output for increased heat/RPMs, but it will not complete the process it will actually make it take longer the longer you sit there.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
When I read my ownership for my Ram 2500, it stated not to idle your vehicle but that if you were doing something that required it to please use the high idle feature to keep the DPF from being all sooted up. My research at the time indicated that the DPF clogs more at idle due to cooler temperatures and less complete combustion.

Hope that helps

·
422 Posts
When I read my ownership for my Ram 2500, it stated not to idle your vehicle but that if you were doing something that required it to please use the high idle feature to keep the DPF from being all sooted up. My research at the time indicated that the DPF clogs more at idle due to cooler temperatures and less complete combustion.

Hope that helps
What he said! Plus it helps with cylinder wash ect, ect,ect. It's something that definitely needs to be on it

·
190 Posts

No it isnt a regen, it's just trying to bring everything back to operating temps to reduce tailpipe emissions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts