Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I love the sound of this engine during idle, I wish it was a *little* louder that it is right now. Is there anything I can do to this engine to make the cranking of the Cummins sound better? I am not specifically talking about the turbo whistle as much as I am about the raw chugging of the engine itself.

·
1,979 Posts
No, They have spent Millions of dollars to get rid of that Diesel sound you are looking for. I'm sure there is a ring you can take out of the intake for the Turbo that will give you more whistle sound.

·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, They have spent Millions of dollars to get rid of that Diesel sound you are looking for. I'm sure there is a ring you can take out of the intake for the Turbo that will give you more whistle sound.
I dont think there is a silencing ring on these turbos because of their unique design. I may be wrong but because it doesnt have the traditional spherical helix design, it may not have that ability.

·
207 Posts
How many miles do you have? I just hit 8000 miles and it's definitely louder then it was when I bought it

·
1,265 Posts
10k plus on mine and the wife can still sleep while we are traveling.... Not noticeably louder..but then again, my ears aren't what they used to be!:wink2:

·
1,300 Posts
yea mine has defiantly gotten louder since brand new. They will get a touch more clatter but not much unless you tune it, to change injection duration and fueling.
There is no silencer on the intake on these trucks. installing a cold air intake might get the noise a touch louder all depends on if its a sealed intake.

·
224 Posts
I'm not certain what you could do to defeat all the work that Nissan has done to reduce the noise level. After all, it's common rail, and the turbos are buried in the block V with the fuel pump. There's a lot of metal around them. I think any sound enhancements would also negatively affect cabin noise levels too, but maybe that's what you're after?

MB

·
1,300 Posts
Y-E-E . H-A-W ... Rollin Coal on County Lines With Cletus, and Jesse-May Lynn

·
430 Posts
While I love the sound of this engine during idle, I wish it was a *little* louder that it is right now. Is there anything I can do to this engine to make the cranking of the Cummins sound better? I am not specifically talking about the turbo whistle as much as I am about the raw chugging of the engine itself.
as some of the other members of the forum have mentioned, removing the noise insulation under the hood is a quick cheap and easy way to let the cummins' voice be heard. As a bonus, it is an easily reversible mod and will not void warranty... just make sure to watch the clips as they like to fly out as you pry them out of the hood.

·
712 Posts
Another bonus with removing that is, you can mess up the paint on your hood.
These engines make quite a bit of heat. I doubt Nissan will repaint if for free after they see you've removed the insulation.

I bought this truck because it's quiet. If you wanted a loud diesel, maybe you should have bought a first gen Dodge or an old Powerstroke.
This engine is designed to be quiet. Lots of R&D money spent in the truck to make it quiet.

·
430 Posts
Another bonus with removing that is, you can mess up the paint on your hood.
These engines make quite a bit of heat. I doubt Nissan will repaint if for free after they see you've removed the insulation.

I bought this truck because it's quiet. If you wanted a loud diesel, maybe you should have bought a first gen Dodge or an old Powerstroke.
This engine is designed to be quiet. Lots of R&D money spent in the truck to make it quiet.
I have digressed from my original statement. I did not think about the heat from the egr valve affecting the paint on the hood. the added noise was nice, but not worth the cost of painting a new hood.

·
74 Posts
I just turned 13k on mine and feel it has gotten louder. Not that I think it?s a good or bad thing just noticed. Hoping it was normal.

·
485 Posts
Why in the world would you want it louder??? Silence is golden. Have you ever driven a Tesla??? You mash the "go" pedal on that car and it slams you into your seat and does all that with nothing more than a subtle whine from the electric drive system. Much more impressive than the roar of a ICE that someone has taken the exhaust muffler off of. One of the main reasons I bought the Titan was i liked the power of the Cummins but loved the low noise level. I like having power without feeling like I am riding in a train locomotive.

·
90 Posts
I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet. The intake draws air from the driver's side fender, the Cummin badge is also within the fender. Why not drill holes in the waffle design of the badge? I did this about 6 months ago to increase the ability to better hear turbo whistle. Not only did the whistle get more noticeable, the other engine sounds became more apparent. I'll snap a pic for clarity once the Apple watch is done updating.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts