Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brother saw this on facebook somewhere and it had me wondering If it was anyone here. Was hoping to hear how she pulled with that much weight behind her.
Last I checked round bales are 1000+ lbs each. With that many bales and the weight of the trailer it's easily the most I've ever seen behind any Titan.

·
2018 Titan XD Diesel
12 Posts
Depending on size and whether they're dry or not, they could be as low as 600# for a 4x4 bale. Still a lot of weight. But it's a Nissan - at least that's what I tell my neighbors with F250's or Duramax's!

·
166 Posts
wow. i bet that trailer alone is at least 6-7k lbs. and yes moisture content on the bales is a big big deal (i grew up on a farm and my brother and i hated moving around damp bales)

PS that's got to be over 15k lbs. and she's squatting like Big Time!!

·
1,148 Posts
As much shit as I'll get for this comment, but I bet it pulled that load fine. I've seen old second gen Cummins running loads like these and those trucks have less power than us and their tow ratings are a c.f actually lower than ours and they pull just fine

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As much shit as I'll get for this comment, but I bet it pulled that load fine. I've seen old second gen Cummins running loads like these and those trucks have less power than us and their tow ratings are a c.f actually lower than ours and they pull just fine
Actually you're right I've seen many of the old 3/4 and 1 ton Dodges pulling loads like this and no one bats an eye. The old 5.9 Cummins was a lot weaker than the 5.0 Cummins and even the 5.6 in the Titan.

·
267 Posts
When I see loads like that, regardless of what's towing it, I can't help but thinking how you can practically hear the life expectancy dropping. Every stress is affecting the frame and suspension. Welds are getting stressed, metal is getting stressed, parts are going well beyond their capabilities. And it's even worse when you consider the condition of that dirt road they're on and the ruts/potholes they'll be hitting. You can think as many happy thoughts as you want, but you can't change physics. Better to heed the old saying - use the right tool for the job.

·
411 Posts
When I see loads like that, regardless of what's towing it, I can't help but thinking how you can practically hear the life expectancy dropping. Every stress is affecting the frame and suspension. Welds are getting stressed, metal is getting stressed, parts are going well beyond their capabilities. And it's even worse when you consider the condition of that dirt road they're on and the ruts/potholes they'll be hitting. You can think as many happy thoughts as you want, but you can't change physics. Better to heed the old saying - use the right tool for the job.
Maybe so, if you are looking to keep your new truck shiny, happy, and 'like new' BUT not everyone buys a Titan XD to be a pretty pristine glossy grocery getter that hauls their boat or camper to the lake every so often.

I think the thing to look at here is that this truck will work like a beast if you ask it to & that it holds up just fine doing it. I don't recall hearing many (or any?) complaints that their frame broke or bent, that their suspension failed (other than expected wear & tear) or that the built in tow points in the frame failed. Hey, I'm not saying someone isn't going to trot out a story about someone's Titan having a failure at 150k when they felt it should have made it to 200k.

By all accounts this truck is one that does better and likes it more the harder you work it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
267 Posts
LOL! I"m up here in AK where we use trucks as trucks. 90% of my miles are towing and hauling over more mountain passes than you can count and on dirtroads we refer to as "highways". So I'm not the "pristine glossy grocery getter" type. I didn't say anything failed. As I clearly stated, you can't change physics. Between physics and 50+ years of towing, including many of those doing farm work, I can easily say they're significantly reducing the life of their vehicle. I've seen it many times. Again, smart people use the right tool for the job.

·
411 Posts
LOL! I"m up here in AK where we use trucks as trucks. 90% of my miles are towing and hauling over more mountain passes than you can count and on dirtroads we refer to as "highways". So I'm not the "pristine glossy grocery getter" type. I didn't say anything failed. As I clearly stated, you can't change physics. Between physics and 50+ years of towing, including many of those doing farm work, I can easily say they're significantly reducing the life of their vehicle. I've seen it many times. Again, smart people use the right tool for the job.
Hey, I get it. I am not saying you don't know what works for you.

What I was trying to highlight with the hyperbole was the difference between wanting or expecting the machine to last indefinitely or acknowledging that if you use it and have it do hard work that is capable of doing, parts and pieces of machinery of every sort, experiences wear. Things we use WILL eventually wear out.

I'm just not willing to tell someone they need to go buy a Freightliner to move something an XD will do fine. Sure, there is wear on the truck from working hard but it isn't excessive and it doesn't result in sudden unexpected failures.

I understand the concept of having a tool that well exceeds your requirements, but really, you don't need an excavator to plant a bush, you don't need a jackhammer to clear off some extra mortar on the brick wall and you don't need a semi truck to haul some big ole bails of hay from here to there.

·
267 Posts
Again with the extemes. That's pretty bizarre. No need for a freightliner. A simple set of air bags and beefed up suspension would probably do for their needs. Or just borrow someone's 3/4 or 1 ton. But anyone who has done any serious towing can see what they're doing is just plain stupid. And doing it just to spite yourself and destroy an investment out of sheer ignorance is just... stupid. I don't do the stupid route.

·
411 Posts
Well, go with what makes you feel comfortable. I'm not faulting you for your view on this issue and no one should do something with their truck they don't feel comfortable with.

As an interesting comparison of the whole "right tool for the job" thing, in the late 1980s we had a pair of F350 Fords that we would move loads bigger than this around with and their stats were barely on par with the Titan XD. One had the biggest gas motor I had ever seen before, something like 460 cu and if memory serves it only made about 220 or so horsepower and not much more than 375 ft/lb of torque. The second truck had a Navistar diesel, 420 cu, and it only made around 175 horsepower and maybe 310 ft/lb of torque. Those ugly brutes don't compare to the Titan at all. And man I hated those 5 speed manuals, throw was so long you felt like you were going to bash your knuckles on the dash in one direction and ram your elbow through the back of the seat going the other way.

We've come a long way, baby.

·
267 Posts
I didn't address anything about torque or HP. I addressed the structural issues related to doing something that stupid. I grew up on the farm using tractors with a fraction of the hp/torque you mention. But we weren't concerned about speed or take off we were concerned about making sure that tractor was around 10 years down the road. It had the frame and suspension made to haul heavy loads. Again, the right tool for the right job. And everything about that picture screams the person isn't very bright.

·
3 Posts
Not sure why some folks get their knickers in a knot when a completely rationale question like yours comes up, but I hope this helps:
I regularly tow a travel trailer with my 2018 XD Cummins down here in the southern states (TX, LA, AL, FL, etc.) so it's pretty flat. My trailer is around 100" wide, 38' long, and about 11'6" tall. Loaded weight is about 11,200 with a hitch weight around 1200 lbs. I use a Blue-Ox WDH to transfer some of that hitch weight back onto the front axle.
So - with that background, to your question: How does it tow. That's a real subjective thing, but I do make sure that all of the weights are 'in the green' - axles, max payload for the Titan, MCWR, etc. so I have piece of mind about being covered by insurance, not putting other drivers at risk and not breaking the law when going down the road (it does make a difference to the towing experience - at least for this old boy).
The truck handles it just fine and there seems to be adequate power / torque for all of my driving needs. Am I going to out drag some of the HD 3/4 and 1 ton trucks out there going up a steep mountain pass - of course not but I couldn't give a hoot. I'll get there a minute or two later - no sweat. I am very confident knowing that the truck will be safe and very stable going down he other side of that pass too.
The comfort of the Titan is very good - in fact I've driven non-stop from East TX to Southern Cal quite comfortably (not towing, of course).
The stability of the truck is great with the XD frame, but with trailer of those dimensions, I definitely know there is a heavy weight behind me at all times, especially when there is a fresh cross-wind (anything above 15 MPH), but it's not white-knuckle driving with a good stabilizer / WDH combination like the Blue-Ox.
No - you'll never hear me say 'I tow 10K lbs and don't even know there is something behind me'. Just not part of that crowd.

Anyway - hope that provides some constructive response to your question.

Be safe.

·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think anyone here would argue that the truck isn't stressed under a load like that. I think it's just interesting to see people using the Titan and Titan XD for more than just pulling little pop up campers or jet skis to the lake. These things aren't the latest and greatest 1 ton pullers, but I do believe they are under rated for what they are.
Thanks everyone here who has contributed. We don't all have to agree but it does sound like we all still consider safety the most important thing and at the end of the day that's all that really matters. Trucks are replaceable, human lives aren't.

·
10 Posts
Brother saw this on facebook somewhere and it had me wondering If it was anyone here. Was hoping to hear how she pulled with that much weight behind her.
Last I checked round bales are 1000+ lbs each. With that many bales and the weight of the trailer it's easily the most I've ever seen behind any Titan. View attachment 44824
I had a 2018 XD diesel and regularly towed a 35' 2 car hauler. Went across a scale with 2 full size 60's Lincolns on it and the scale showed the trailer weighing 13,900. JUSt under the max load rating of 14k. Other than reduced braking (leaving a min of 10 car lengths between me and the car in front) and running 65 or less it handled the load fine. Mileage sucked, but who cared? The Titan XD was a beast when it came to towing. Sure, it's not a 1 ton, but come on....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts