Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jalopnik Reviews the Titan XD, Calls It "The Cheapest Cummins Diesel Crew Cab 4WD"

Jalopnik has published its full review of the 2016 Nissan Titan XD. I've picked out a few quotes from the write-up, and at the bottom of the post I've linked to the full review.

All else being equal, it looks like the Ram 2500 Cummins has significantly better cargo capabilities for just a few thousand dollars more. Nissan will argue that their ride quality and daily usability is better. Until I can convince both companies to lend me some base-model trucks, you’re going to have to traipse to some dealerships and make that decision on your own.
Seems like the Titan XD is pretty competitively priced against comparable half-ton pickups though, which is where the meat of their market is. The Titan XD is aimed at folks who want a little extra oomph in their capacity numbers but want to stick around the prices they’re used to paying for a decent Ford F-150 or Chevy Silverado.
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/nissan-titan-xd-officially-the-cheapest-cummins-diesel-1749301681

·
857 Posts
Sadly i've been seeing more and more reports just like this and not just from publications but from owners, before these reviews even came out. That's something which has me wondering how sales will go.

·
16 Posts
When it comes to reviews on anything you have to read inbetween the lines. Reviewers can't just bash a product otherwise manufacturers would not send them products to review and they need them to do that to make a living. Example if a review says "at $60,000 I would hoped for a little more ecceleration and cargo capacity" that means in plain English that it's a dog to drive and can't carry ****.

·
235 Posts
Was reading the comments and some people are still on board with the titan XD.

other than maintaining and carrying insurance for two vehicles, many people don’t have space for more than one vehicle per person in their household that drives. Also many people have lifestyles that necessitate a larger vehicle than a car, and require 4WD, AND tow/haul stuff. Why not just invest in a single vehicle that can check all those boxes?
Makes sense to have a daily driver and a truck all in one.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the amount that people spend on other trucks, I just don't find the price to be that off-putting. More about what it is capable of. I think the price is fine.

·
45 Posts
for me it came down to the f150 and titan xd. F150's that I test drove, 2016, didn't have the front sensors; they had a camera. Which was really awkward and I didn't feel comfortable with my wife sitting behind the wheel trying to park in tight spaces. The parking assist was really cool though in the F150 but I've been wanting a diesel for a while. The titans cab is bigger and fits my family in it better. The first year pains are going to suck but overall when it came to a family veh with plenty of "work" capabilities it was the XD for me. I feel that reviews are going to focus more on the 2 aspects of truck sales 1/4 vs 3/4+ than seeing this truck for what it is designed for. I have a great family daily driver and when I need to tow a boat or camper to to enjoy the outdoors or do my honeydo list I have plenty of capability to do that without feeling undergunned. I think Nissan has a started a new niche in the truck market and hope that they will address any future problems/issues correctly.

·
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for me it came down to the f150 and titan xd. F150's that I test drove, 2016, didn't have the front sensors; they had a camera. Which was really awkward and I didn't feel comfortable with my wife sitting behind the wheel trying to park in tight spaces. The parking assist was really cool though in the F150 but I've been wanting a diesel for a while. The titans cab is bigger and fits my family in it better. The first year pains are going to suck but overall when it came to a family veh with plenty of "work" capabilities it was the XD for me. I feel that reviews are going to focus more on the 2 aspects of truck sales 1/4 vs 3/4+ than seeing this truck for what it is designed for. I have a great family daily driver and when I need to tow a boat or camper to to enjoy the outdoors or do my honeydo list I have plenty of capability to do that without feeling undergunned. I think Nissan has a started a new niche in the truck market and hope that they will address any future problems/issues correctly.
So you think the other truck companies are going to come out with something similar in size so that Nissan isn't the only one offering something like this?

·
658 Posts
So you think the other truck companies are going to come out with something similar in size so that Nissan isn't the only one offering something like this?
Too early to tell, but atm I would say no. So far I doubt the XD is taking much, if any, market share from the big 3. Is that due to the super slow XD roll out? lack of dealer inventory? low perceived capabilities (for a 5/8 tuck)? or higher purchase cost (when considering ridiculous dealer markups and big incentives on big 3 3/4 ton trucks)?

·
363 Posts
I doubt it as well. We'll see if Nissan has the stomach for waiting it out until they can come up with a more thought-out tweener implementation.

·
72 Posts
Unless **** starts to break I see ZERO reason to ever go back to ford or dodge, barring a 20k load.
the XD is just to **** nice of a rig compared to what they are offering.
Ya I know "but dodge make a 3/4 ton", some guys on here need to get there head around the fact that many of us have and do own many dodges Chevys and fords. And are sick of there new 'technology' and the problems they have created for us and the money they have taken off our kids tables.
I DONT WANT a dodge, or a new ford. Been there, done that. I'll keep my old ones, but Trying some new thinking for the main family rig.
Probably a pretty high percentage of new Titan owners here did a bit of shopping around before they dropped 50-60k on a new truck (just guessing? Lol).
" But dodge makes a 3/4 ton" is a broken record already.
Go drive the whistling rattletrap then. I did. Did not want it. Pretty sure the others on here that actually ponied up For the XD did not want one either or they would not have got the XD right? Kinda common sense?

Perhaps if you were to start your own thread, something like "hey did anybody know that dodge makes a 3/4ton?" Than those of us lacking such knowledge can get all straightened out, thanks for that. Might keep the forums less cluttered for those that want OWNER input. Speculation becomes a bit obsolete when actuall owners have real experience

·
36 Posts
Unless **** starts to break I see ZERO reason to ever go back to ford or dodge, barring a 20k load.
the XD is just to **** nice of a rig compared to what they are offering.
Ya I know "but dodge make a 3/4 ton", some guys on here need to get there head around the fact that many of us have and do own many dodges Chevys and fords. And are sick of there new 'technology' and the problems they have created for us and the money they have taken off our kids tables.
I DONT WANT a dodge, or a new ford. Been there, done that. I'll keep my old ones, but Trying some new thinking for the main family rig.
Probably a pretty high percentage of new Titan owners here did a bit of shopping around before they dropped 50-60k on a new truck (just guessing? Lol).
" But dodge makes a 3/4 ton" is a broken record already.
Go drive the whistling rattletrap then. I did. Did not want it. Pretty sure the others on here that actually ponied up For the XD did not want one either or they would not have got the XD right? Kinda common sense?

Perhaps if you were to start your own thread, something like "hey did anybody know that dodge makes a 3/4ton?" Than those of us lacking such knowledge can get all straightened out, thanks for that. Might keep the forums less cluttered for those that want OWNER input. Speculation becomes a bit obsolete when actuall owners have real experience
Thanks Bornon. Youre a breath of fresh air on these boards, you and atc. Keep all of us poor guys in the know about the truck and good luck with your truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts