Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
461 - 480 of 515 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Doubt it, the new Ford will be built for city driving, just like the current towing model they have. Yes they give it a high payload and towing capacity to make it seem unbeatable but just watch that truck squat while the XD barely drops with the same load, any heavy towing will move the Ford around like most 1/2 tons while the XD is planted.

The XD is a towing machine, within its limits. Plus many including myself will not own a Ford.

Truthfully I still feel the XD is a niche truck, for someone that wants a 3/4 ton without the harsh ride and doesn’t need the extra capacity in payload or towing.

Unless the new F150 Diesel is beefed up way more then what they currently sell it’ll be no different then the Ram Eco Diesel.
Agreed ^ , Looking at the numbers from a Ford Brochure it is nothing more than an Ram Eco diesel competitor. Here are the numbers from Ford and usually these are with single cab, standard options only and 2WD. It is definetly not a Titan XD.

HP - 250 @ 3,250rpm
Torque - 440 lb.-ft @ 1,750rpm
Payload - 2,020 lbs.
Max Towing - 11,400 lbs.

IMO, The XD Diesel would do WAY better in the market if it was cheaper, had a little more power (cannot imagine 310 and 555 is at it's max from Cummins), bigger fuel tank and an exhaust brake (wishful thinking since the turbo design would have to be completely redone).

https://www.ford.com/services/assets/Brochure?make=Ford&model=F-150&year=2018
You hit the nail on the head on most points except for the exhaust brake....
You don't need an exhaust brake when you have a transmission that intuativuly downshifts with deceleration as our XDs do to accompany slow down and stopping.
An exhaust brake would be nothing but overkill and heartache for the folks who tow a ton like myself.
I tow at the top of the limit of the XD and I'm perfectly happy with letting my transmission do most of the braking.
Of course I come from the Allison transmission retarder world so I could be a little biased but it is healthier for both the engine and transmission.

·
577 Posts
Nissan may be turning a corner as year to date sales are now higher than last year.

Jul '18: 3977 units sold for 2.0% market share.
Aug '18: 4661 units sold for 2.1% market share.

I now live in Washington and I see alot of them here.

·
577 Posts
OCT '18 gets 4114 which is the exact same as last October. It was slightly stronger at 2.1% market share (using GM Quarter AVG.) vs. 2.0% last year. Here is an updated graph of sales:

Nissan will is ahead of last year now, but will need about 11K trucks over the next 2 months to match last year.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
OCT '18 gets 4114 which is the exact same as last October. It was slightly stronger at 2.1% market share (using GM Quarter AVG.) vs. 2.0% last year. Here is an updated graph of sales:

Nissan will is ahead of last year now, but will need about 11K trucks over the next 2 months to match last year.
Should be a good time for deals for folks looking if they are trying to beat last years numbers which presumably they will. Thanks for sharing the sales info.

·
577 Posts
Should be a good time for deals for folks looking if they are trying to beat last years numbers which presumably they will. Thanks for sharing the sales info.

After November's results, it is looking like 2018 will end worse than 2017 unless Nissan has a monster December. The Titan was once again below 2% market share if using GM by-quarter monthly average. Not good.

Attachments

·
1,331 Posts
Nov 2017 looks like an anomaly, must have been a good rebate period. Overall numbers look steady to me.

But something that did attract me to the Titan, you don’t see it everywhere like the big 3. Also how are sales of the current body style doing compared to the previous gen in its first 3 years?

·
577 Posts
Nov 2017 looks like an anomaly, must have been a good rebate period. Overall numbers look steady to me.

But something that did attract me to the Titan, you don’t see it everywhere like the big 3. Also how are sales of the current body style doing compared to the previous gen in its first 3 years?
The last gen did about half of what this gen is doing. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Titan

However, 2010 was not exactly a great year for trucks, so market share may have been similar.

More notably, this gen uses 2 different trucks except the body, so production costs are higher.

EDIT: Disregard, The Titan was getting over 80k its first couple of years:
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/nissan/nissan-titan/

·
577 Posts
The Titan ended 2018 with 4661 Titans sold for a total of 50,459. Not only was this worse than last year, but Nissan was the only manufacture to have lower full size sales than 2017. Market share was 2.1% for the year.

Surprisingly, the dated Frontier did better than last year. It will be interesting to see how the Ranger shakes things up.

Attachments

·
44 Posts
Interesting. I bet their Dec sales were really good. Seems like I see Titans everywhere now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
577 Posts
Interesting. I bet their Dec sales were really good. Seems like I see Titans everywhere now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were slightly higher than 2 years ago and worse than last year. After 3 years in the market, the new Titan is still just 2% market share. This can not be blamed at being a foreign company. The Tundra did far better, especially considering how old it is. Also, the Frontier did respectable. For 2020, Nissan could at least try a face lift. Anything to bring some life to the dismal sales.

·
50 Posts
I think an advertising push might help. Nissan seems to do a lot less advertising than the big 3. I've never seen them at the state fair, farm shows, trade shows or other events where trucks are usually displayed. There are a couple of Titan ads that run on TV, but they are short, don't give much info. I just think their marketing sucks.

·
50 Posts
Another thought. The big 3 sell a lot of fleet trucks, it gets more trucks on the road to be seen by consumers. I see some Frontiers in fleets, Oreilly's comes to mind, most of their delivery trucks, around here are Frontiers. I have never seen Titans as fleet trucks.

·
1,979 Posts
Another thought. The big 3 sell a lot of fleet trucks, it gets more trucks on the road to be seen by consumers. I see some Frontiers in fleets, Oreilly's comes to mind, most of their delivery trucks, around here are Frontiers. I have never seen Titans as fleet trucks.
I saw a bunch of Budget fleet Titans last weekend at the Burbank Airport .

·
50 Posts
I saw a bunch of Budget fleet Titans last weekend at the Burbank Airport .
Good, Maybe they are starting to get them out there. I know Budget, and some of the others, have rented Frontiers for a while. Next year when I fly to San Diego I may be able to rent a Titan, Cool!

·
702 Posts
They were slightly higher than 2 years ago and worse than last year. After 3 years in the market, the new Titan is still just 2% market share. This can not be blamed at being a foreign company. The Tundra did far better, especially considering how old it is. Also, the Frontier did respectable. For 2020, Nissan could at least try a face lift. Anything to bring some life to the dismal sales.
The problem is that nearly all of the well-known reviewers (magazines, etc) have absolutely excoriated the Titan for its many many issues and sadly I feel the image of the Titan may never recover.

·
1,979 Posts
The problem is that nearly all of the well-known reviewers (magazines, etc) have absolutely excoriated the Titan for its many many issues and sadly I feel the image of the Titan may never recover.
They've always done that..

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Hi,
It will Recover, and Nissan does not quit easily on models.. The Cummins will pull it Thru, play on words there.. Anything new has computer issues.. most of the issues with Titan as well some people doing things without enough knowledge and skill and dig a hole in the truck rep.. Life is a Learning experience, for sure..
All the other Mfg's went thru the same type issues.. All is Well with Titan a Great Truck.. just remember you can't please all the people all the time. An there are plenty of complainers when they wake in the morning if the coffee is not right.. Let's Be Happy We Are Alive and we have a Truck to Drive.. If it's man made it ain't perfect..

Enjoy,
Ric

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Yet Nissan is in the top five with global market share,surpasses both GM and Daimler, is not closing plants, and has made no announcements to discontinue any product line......same can't be said for our Big Three....hmmmm...maybe when you own that much of a global market, manage your business a little more wisely, and stay the course regardless of public scrutiny (I'm reminded of the Sentra) you can endure low sales volume while you tweak the model.
The early diesel models of the Big Three were never more than 1-2% by the way at launch for at least five years.....

461 - 480 of 515 Posts