Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
481 - 500 of 515 Posts

·
1,344 Posts
I think an advertising push might help. Nissan seems to do a lot less advertising than the big 3. I've never seen them at the state fair, farm shows, trade shows or other events where trucks are usually displayed. There are a couple of Titan ads that run on TV, but they are short, don't give much info. I just think their marketing sucks.
I think you hit the nail on the head! Very poor advertising. Dedicated ads showing the XD working and push the Cummins engine. Simple mentions of the truck in the same ad with the Sentra, Rogue etc doesn’t cut it!!!

·
896 Posts
The truck community in South Florida know about Nissan's XD Cummins even though the advertising campaign is null. At the boat ramps or in a stores parking lot guys with trucks ask me if it's the new Cummins and how do I like it. I think the car lovers are about the only ones in the dark with Nissan's XD Cummins trucks.
American truck owners aren't stupid people when it comes to knowing what other vehicle manufactures have to offer. Especially when it's been on the market for 3 yrs now.

·
50 Posts
I've had several tell me they didn't Nissan made full size pickups. Maybe they've been asleep for awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I've had several tell me they didn't Nissan made full size pickups. Maybe they've been asleep for awhile.
They don't see us running down the road because they are running 80 in the left lane with one hand on the wheel, the other on their phone, and their face buried in Facebook or Instagram ????.....

·
122 Posts
The truck community in South Florida know about Nissan's XD Cummins even though the advertising campaign is null. At the boat ramps or in a stores parking lot guys with trucks ask me if it's the new Cummins and how do I like it. I think the car lovers are about the only ones in the dark with Nissan's XD Cummins trucks.
American truck owners aren't stupid people when it comes to knowing what other vehicle manufactures have to offer. Especially when it's been on the market for 3 yrs now.
Yeah I have to agree. The South Florida crowd is very interested in this truck and you’re starting to see more at the boat ramps and around town here as well. This weekend in Panera had someone driving a Ram with the Cummins ask me about it. He then proceeded to tell me how he loved the engine in his truck but the “Dodge is falling apart around it”

·
185 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head! Very poor advertising. Dedicated ads showing the XD working and push the Cummins engine. Simple mentions of the truck in the same ad with the Sentra, Rogue etc doesn’t cut it!!!

The average full size truck buyer will not consider an import and that will never change. The 1st gen Titan was the best truck available in '04 and still had terrible sales. Nissan isn't doing itself any favors with the odd styling and poor mileage. I like my gas XD and it is a good fit for me, but I won't pretend it is a good looking truck.

·
447 Posts
The average full size truck buyer will not consider an import and that will never change. The 1st gen Titan was the best truck available in '04 and still had terrible sales.
Probably some truth to this. Perhaps better for all of us who have an open mind and are looking at the truck's value proposition relative to other makes/models.

I was happy to pay $42.5K in late November 2016 for my 2016 SL Cummins. Felt like it was a lot of truck for that price especially compared to the F150 prices at that trim level.

As others have said, Nissan is in this for the long haul...they will have to keep discounting to get more vehicles out there. Perhaps their strategy is to save the huge $$ it takes to splash commercials all over NFL playoff games, and instead spend that on incentives--thereby getting the vehicles into someone's driveway with an owner that will tell other people about it--and drive it.

That said, they seem to have raised the prices a bit each model year--without continued large incentives, they are getting themselves to a point where the value proposition is less compelling. January incentives seem to have ratcheted much lower, but I'm sure it will swing back up again.

·
6 Posts
Whow, the Titan XD's in south Florida

Yeah I have to agree. The South Florida crowd is very interested in this truck and you’re starting to see more at the boat ramps and around town here as well. This weekend in Panera had someone driving a Ram with the Cummins ask me about it. He then proceeded to tell me how he loved the engine in his truck but the “Dodge is falling apart around it”
I have to agree about seeing a lot of Titan XD's on the road in South Florida, I was in the Sarasota/Ft Myers/Port Charlotte area over the Christmas - New Year's holidays and whow, I've never seen so many in one area. I assume it's the great towing ability but wondered what started the trend, a Salt Water fishing magazine did an article? word of mouth? Whatever it was/is that has fueled the quantity of Titan XD's in South Florida Nissan needs to figure it out and duplicate it.

·
122 Posts
I have to agree about seeing a lot of Titan XD's on the road in South Florida, I was in the Sarasota/Ft Myers/Port Charlotte area over the Christmas - New Year's holidays and whow, I've never seen so many in one area. I assume it's the great towing ability but wondered what started the trend, a Salt Water fishing magazine did an article? word of mouth? Whatever it was/is that has fueled the quantity of Titan XD's in South Florida Nissan needs to figure it out and duplicate it.
My theory is most people can’t afford a 30 foot boat but can afford between 20 to 27 or so. Tows that size perfectly without issue and for less money than the big 3

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
good one rick

My theory is most people can’t afford a 30 foot boat but can afford between 20 to 27 or so. Tows that size perfectly without issue and for less money than the big 3
26' Twin Vee owner.
I recently looked @ every diesel truck made.
My Nissan is simply the best product that's why I bought it.

Attachments

·
896 Posts
26' Twin Vee owner.
I recently looked @ every diesel truck made.
My Nissan is simply the best product that's why I bought it.

Pardon for the off topic question. What do you have powering your cat? I'm using 2 90's on a 21' cat. Goes forever on little fuel.

·
577 Posts
It looks like a rough start for the Titan in 2019.
Dec '18 - Feb '19 looks a lot like Dec '16 - Feb '17 which is down from last year during those times.
New models from GM and Ram most likely had an impact.

Text Green Line Blue Plot

March has always been good to Nissan, so we will see if this Trend continues.
Still, things look rough for Nissan ahead. If Toyota ever comes out with a new Tundra, it will have a huge impact as wel as it is seen as the other domestic option. The Frontier and Tacoma were more of the Ranger alternative than any of the GM twins, but now that a new Ranger is out, things the Frontier numbers will continue to be gobbled up.

·
577 Posts
Well, it looks like we are seeing a trend continue, just not the one as stated previously. March was better as expected, but still way down year over year. It now seems to be a consistent 1000 truck drop from last year every month. If you are selling 50k trucks/ month like the big 3, that is not a big deal. When you are only selling around 4k trucks/ month, that hurts.

I don't think this trend will hold as the Titan getting less than 2k trucks in April seems unimaginable. Still, this is a very rough start for the Titan in 2019. It has seen the largest PERCENTAGE drop from 2018 by all the full size truck makers.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/04/ra...most-other-trucks-are-declining-sales-report/

Attachments

·
65 Posts
Like mentioned above, marketing is largely to blame here. Nissan is not going to outsell the big 3, but their marketing efforts seem half ass at best.

·
577 Posts
In fairness, market share was about the same at 2.2% versus 2.3% last March despite being way down. This is mostly due to Ford having such a crazy sales year last year. GM is also way down this year.

·
447 Posts
In fairness, market share was about the same at 2.2% versus 2.3% last March despite being way down. This is mostly due to Ford having such a crazy sales year last year. GM is also way down this year.
Yes, but I think to maintain that, they are going to have to keep the incentives up at a high level. Of course, the MSRP doesn't mean a lot, but it is where they start the discussion/negotiation after subtracting incentives. I see Nissan is building in the freight now, but even when you correct for that the starting point is higher--much higher that the days when they were wheeling and dealing on 16/early 17's. Not sure the Pro4x or 4x4 SL is as compelling a value proposition at ~$50K after the incentives and dealer discounts. Still a lot of truck. It was a no brainer when you could get $14K off a $56K sticker on a diesel 4x4 SL. It has moved north since then although I still see some leftover 18's with huge deals...particularly PR's.

It will be interesting to watch as 2019 goes on. I imagine NNA is looking to see if they can find the right balance as I'm sure the diesels in particular have not been much of a money maker for them so far.

·
14 Posts
My company is largely Big 3 owners and when I pulled up in the Titan XD a couple of folks asked if it was a Tundra and when I told it was the Titan XD with a diesel the general response was I had no idea the Titan XD was offered with a diesel engine. It is hard to compete against the Big 3, but I do agree with prior posts that Nissan does not really advertise the Titan / Titan XD and its capabilities. They're great trucks and should be selling a lot more units.

·
577 Posts
Things are continuing to be rough for the Titan. June numbers were 2665 for a 1.2% market share. The last 4 months have been about 65% of what 2017 was. Another sales graph with July '17 estimated based on the new trend:
Text Line Font Diagram Parallel

·
577 Posts
Nothing but bad news for the Titan this quarter in which it saw just 1.1% of market share:
The new refresh can't come soon enough. The changes look very promising and Nissan has nowhere to go but up. That said, I expect Toyota to release some information on their way overdue Tundra model in the coming months to steal some of Nissan's thunder.

481 - 500 of 515 Posts