Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
501 - 515 of 515 Posts

·
577 Posts
Nissan has just released the totals for 2019:

Suffice to say, things did not go well for the Titan in 2019. Down 37% from last year, with nearly every month being the worst since all configurations were released at the end of 2016. Hopefully Nissan will recover in 2020 with their new model, which is looking very promising (available Spring 2020). Another pretty graph for all to see:

Text Line Font Plot Design

·
702 Posts
Yep.. 2019 not a great year... I guess word got out about all the "issues" and scared people off. I know I would not buy my XD if i had it to do over again. About to go in for my second EGR - the first replacement failed in less than 10,000 miles.

·
577 Posts
Things are even worse for Nissan pickups if you look at it from a market share view. From 2016 to 2019:
Frontier: 19.4%, 16.4%, 15.2%, 11.3%
Titan: 0.97%, 2.23%, 2.08%, 1.27%

Nissan sold more pickup trucks in 2016 than it did in 2019 despite the market being smaller and the Titan just starting.

·
577 Posts
Quarterly trucks sales are here and things are not looking good. Individual monthly numbers estimated using 59% of 2019 numbers as Q1FY20 was 59% of Q2FY19. The 'human malware' is a factor, but the Titan only managed 1.1% of market share so the problems are beyond that. Nissan looks to have a nice truck with the 2020 refresh. Are they even trying to sell it?

Text Line Plot Font Slope

·
517 Posts
Quarterly trucks sales are here and things are not looking good. Individual monthly numbers estimated using 59% of 2019 numbers as Q1FY20 was 59% of Q2FY19. The 'human malware' is a factor, but the Titan only managed 1.1% of market share so the problems are beyond that. Nissan looks to have a nice truck with the 2020 refresh. Are they even trying to sell it?

View attachment 44865
Nobody knows anything about these trucks other than the hardcore owners of them. They are seriously great trucks and a very good price point to market. Nissan sales people don't even know much about them. Not surprising they aren't selling well.

·
577 Posts
Newest update for the Titan sales added. The good news is that Nissan was now at 77% of last year's sales despite the global shutdown.

Text Font Line Plot Design

·
2017 Titan XD
111 Posts
It's crazy to see this graph, because everytime I'm at the dealer they can't seem to keep their hands on any Titans in stock. They sell so quickly.

·
577 Posts
It's crazy to see this graph, because everytime I'm at the dealer they can't seem to keep their hands on any Titans in stock. They sell so quickly.
Nissan as a whole had several issues last year to include mass layoffs and corruption issues. Specifically to the Titan, they had to scale back quite a bit after dropping the diesel and is continuing to struggle in supporting issues with that power train.

That said, I think they are finally turning a corner. I am expecting a much better q4 in 2020 than in 2019. The upgraded Titan has received generally good reviews and there is little news yet of a new Tundra.

·
577 Posts
Updated for 2021 results. The last 3 years have been a dud for the Titan. The good news is that the new Frontier is doing well and there was a big boost over the terrible combined sales in 2020, though not as good as pre-human malware levels. Nissan just did not do nearly enough to update the Titan.
This was a transistion year for the Tundra, which typically means lower sales. The old model, like the Frontier, was old enough to get a licensce. The new model will continue to gobble up the "anything but domestic" crowd. Some say that Toyota will lose customers due to the lack of V-8 option, but that seems like a handful of boomers just making noise.

Rectangle Slope Font Line Plot

·
447 Posts
Love your graph...numbers don't lie (not entirely). The new Frontier is a much more compelling vehicle....looks good and has the powerful v-6. I wonder what will happen to the Titan--and XD specifically--once the supply chain issues ease and there is a little more price competition and availability out there. With the NV2500/3500 gone, not sure how long the XD hangs out. I suppose they could ride the tooling for a long while with no real refresh like they did with Gen 1...but would that be with the Titan only or both it and the XD? Time will tell.

·
577 Posts
Love your graph...numbers don't lie (not entirely). The new Frontier is a much more compelling vehicle....looks good and has the powerful v-6. I wonder what will happen to the Titan--and XD specifically--once the supply chain issues ease and there is a little more price competition and availability out there. With the NV2500/3500 gone, not sure how long the XD hangs out. I suppose they could ride the tooling for a long while with no real refresh like they did with Gen 1...but would that be with the Titan only or both it and the XD? Time will tell.
Thanks - For the next go around, Nissan should just focus on the XD. They had they right idea, but just failed in delivery...and marketing. They could fill a strong niche with the a strong frame for towing 8-12k # 5th wheels and travel trailers. Using an aluminium body would really give it the payload it needs. More so, a large capacity hybrid v8 would be something new to the segment. Having the generator akin to the Ford Powerboost on a '5/8ths' platform would be a God send to the weekend warriors. You can't even get the HD package with the Hybrid on the Ford, and those are nearly impossible to find in the first place. The ability to charge the batteries using solar would be pretty neat as well. Oh, and a segemnt leading 20 inch infotainment screen since that is what really gives the truck review sites and customers a hard on.

·
447 Posts
Yes, they sure don't seem to want to invest any $$ in marketing for the Titan. Many things you suggest would help--and the infotainment system is key. the 7 inch unit in 2016 was already hopelessly outdated/outclassed...now, even the revised unit looks puny. I didn't care a bit about that (and they were discounting them like mad), but a LOT of folks do, and to price them where they are now....wow...tough sell more than ever without marketing.

I don't see how they can grow the market. My guess is they just do a little refresh and ride it out for a while, selling what they can. Would be great if they tried something radical like a v-8 hybrid...but they are on a path to more EV's with the new Ariya coming out. There was a a huge level of effort and expense in launching the new Titan and XD (diesel diversion aside) and it essentially has flopped. I don't see them doing it again in the post Ghosn era and EV's heating up. But we'll see....

501 - 515 of 515 Posts