Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a bit of advice to fellow XD Cummins owners. I've been on here a long time and I'm a big advocate for these trucks. But If you are getting close to being out of your warranty period, go have your truck inspected by a 3rd party diesel shop. Most specifically, have them thoroughly inspect the turbo for any issues. If there are any issues developing, you need to get the big stuff checked out before something bad happens. My turbo is going bad and needs a total replacement. A completely new one installed at the Dealer is about $7K. At a 3rd party shop, its at least $5K. There are used turbos available on line (thanks to a good amount of bad cranks lol), but if you are keeping the truck long term do you want to replace it with a used part? I have meticulously maintained my truck to a T. Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed in Cummins. Thankfully, my local Nissan dealer is doing me pretty damn good all things considered.

·
24 Posts
yes I can agreed with you. I got 2016, and just before sale dealer replaced both turbos, smaller one was replaced by mis diagnose and big one was a problem. My understanding, code was showing in smaller one but really it was big turbo valve failed.

·
1,027 Posts
Just a bit of advice to fellow XD Cummins owners. I've been on here a long time and I'm a big advocate for these trucks. But If you are getting close to being out of your warranty period, go have your truck inspected by a 3rd party diesel shop. Most specifically, have them thoroughly inspect the turbo for any issues. If there are any issues developing, you need to get the big stuff checked out before something bad happens. My turbo is going bad and needs a total replacement. A completely new one installed at the Dealer is about $7K. At a 3rd party shop, its at least $5K. There are used turbos available on line (thanks to a good amount of bad cranks lol), but if you are keeping the truck long term do you want to replace it with a used part? I have meticulously maintained my truck to a T. Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed in Cummins. Thankfully, my local Nissan dealer is doing me pretty damn good all things considered.
You do realize ford Chevy and dodge all have the same issues as this truck? I dont know why people continously say they are disappointed in this truck lol

·
24 Posts
it's true too. This is reason Tundra has engine from 90's . it's really sad , the engines are having problems as it should be other wise

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You do realize ford Chevy and dodge all have the same issues as this truck? I dont know why people continously say they are disappointed in this truck lol
Yes, I 100% realize that and know that Chevy and Ford have the same issues, so does Dodge. I never said I was disappointed with "this truck". I said I was disappointed in "Cummins". Reading and comprehension is a lost skillset, lol. I just traded my XD Diesel for another XD gasser, I liked my truck that much. Just no confidence in Cummins.

·
102 Posts
If you buy anything with a turbo, you're going to have the same issue. Turbo seals going out, turbos burning up, etc. It's not strictly diesel related. Also, if you have a motor than runs on extremely high compression, you're going to have issues. If you want to run with the boys, you're going to need big boy pants. Otherwise, stay on the porch.

Stay frosty

·
849 Posts
Yes, I 100% realize that and know that Chevy and Ford have the same issues, so does Dodge. I never said I was disappointed with "this truck". I said I was disappointed in "Cummins". Reading and comprehension is a lost skillset, lol. I just traded my XD Diesel for another XD gasser, I liked my truck that much. Just no confidence in Cummins.
A new one I hope. The older 5.6L had some issues.

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A new one I hope. The older 5.6L had some issues.
Its a 2017, very low miles. I know all about the engine knocking issue. In fact, I'm mentally planning on it being an issue at some point. I'm banking on getting the new engine when it happens. I don't mind the hassle of not having the truck for a month if it means getting a new engine. It comes with the 100K warranty (only 13K now) and I'll likely buy an extended warranty if the engine knocking issue doesn't pop up before the 100K warranty expires.

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If you buy anything with a turbo, you're going to have the same issue. Turbo seals going out, turbos burning up, etc. It's not strictly diesel related. Also, if you have a motor than runs on extremely high compression, you're going to have issues. If you want to run with the boys, you're going to need big boy pants. Otherwise, stay on the porch.

Stay frosty
So are you saying that even though someone buys a truck for anywhere from $45K-$75K for the vehicle, that regardless of that price tag they should "expect" to have major engine repairs in the first 150,000 miles? I budgeted for and was prepared for emission related issues. I wasn't stressed about stuff like that. I don't lose sleep over minor stuff like fuel pumps, etc. In my opinion, if you are paying $45K-$75K and take care of your vehicle, you shouldn't "expect" to have any major engine issues until you exceed 300,000 miles. Why do I say that? Well, I had a conversation locally with one of the Nissan Titan XD engineers that lives here locally in Phoenix after I first bought my truck. They develop and test a lot of the Nissan vehicles here in Casa Grande, AZ. I point blank asked him what I should "expect" from the Cummins. He said, "take care of it and you should have a minimum expectation of 300,000 miles before any major engine work - injectors, glow plugs, turbo rebuild, etc". I make a very comfortable 6 figure income, but maybe I just value how hard I work for my income to piss it away on something not being built to last like I think (and one of the developers thinks) it should.

I guess I'll just have to stay on the porch then (and not piss away money). If by definition 'running with the big dogs" means pissing away money, I'll pass. My idea of "running with the big dogs" is hitting some 80ft triples on the MX track, lol.....perspective I suppose

I still love the Titan XD platform - that's why I'm sticking with it. Maybe there was a very legit reason Cummins stopped making these engines.

·
120 Posts
So are you saying that even though someone buys a truck for anywhere from $45K-$75K for the vehicle, that regardless of that price tag they should "expect" to have major engine repairs in the first 150,000 miles? I budgeted for and was prepared for emission related issues. I wasn't stressed about stuff like that. I don't lose sleep over minor stuff like fuel pumps, etc. In my opinion, if you are paying $45K-$75K and take care of your vehicle, you shouldn't "expect" to have any major engine issues until you exceed 300,000 miles. Why do I say that? Well, I had a conversation locally with one of the Nissan Titan XD engineers that lives here locally in Phoenix after I first bought my truck. They develop and test a lot of the Nissan vehicles here in Casa Grande, AZ. I point blank asked him what I should "expect" from the Cummins. He said, "take care of it and you should have a minimum expectation of 300,000 miles before any major engine work - injectors, glow plugs, turbo rebuild, etc". I make a very comfortable 6 figure income, but maybe I just value how hard I work for my income to piss it away on something not being built to last like I think (and one of the developers thinks) it should.

I guess I'll just have to stay on the porch then (and not piss away money). If by definition 'running with the big dogs" means pissing away money, I'll pass. My idea of "running with the big dogs" is hitting some 80ft triples on the MX track, lol.....perspective I suppose

I still love the Titan XD platform - that's why I'm sticking with it. Maybe there was a very legit reason Cummins stopped making these engines.
exactly what I’ve been saying 300,000 should be expected given you keep it out of the red line and honking on it everyday.

·
20 Posts
I think there is a disproportionate number of failures in the 5.0l compared to the 6.7. Ram sells more diesels in a week then Nissan did in an entire year. I was excited for the release of the XD diesel but due to a bad experience with an Armada I was hesitant to jump on the 5.0l bandwagon. Glad I chose a 6.7 delete it and never look back. Cheers

·
892 Posts
Just a bit of advice to fellow XD Cummins owners.
Thnx, makes sense to me. As is similar done prior to buying a used diesel truck, it's smart to have everything checked out on your own diesel vehicle prior to warranty's expiration. Things could get expensive fast if not checked, and when rolling the dice I usually end up on the losing end.

·
13 Posts
I got the lifetime drivetrain waranty, so I'm leaving my truck stock and having the dealer pay for any failures. They aready changed my turbo a couple months ago on my 2017. $0 cost to me :)

·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the lifetime drivetrain waranty, so I'm leaving my truck stock and having the dealer pay for any failures. They aready changed my turbo a couple months ago on my 2017. $0 cost to me :)
How many miles on your truck when the Tubro failed? I have this growing suspicion that we will see more of this popping up unfortunately. Just a bummer, I really like the truck.

·
1,027 Posts
How many miles on your truck when the Tubro failed? I have this growing suspicion that we will see more of this popping up unfortunately. Just a bummer, I really like the truck.
Go ask on the ford chevy or dodge forums how many of them have replaced turbos.

·
13 Posts
I owned a 05 ram 2500 and replaced the turbo a couple times in the 70k I put on it. Running good oil and keeping your EGT's at acceptable levels helps in prolonging. On new trucks, DPF doesn't help in turbo life. Also people putting power mods on their trucks, increasing EGT's doesn't help. Turbos should be rebuilt every 50k anyway. The bearings and seals take way too much abuse.

·
8 Posts
Its a 2017, very low miles. I know all about the engine knocking issue. In fact, I'm mentally planning on it being an issue at some point. I'm banking on getting the new engine when it happens. I don't mind the hassle of not having the truck for a month if it means getting a new engine. It comes with the 100K warranty (only 13K now) and I'll likely buy an extended warranty if the engine knocking issue doesn't pop up before the 100K warranty expires.
I haven’t done any research yet but do you know what’s the typical mileage others were at when problem occurred? I’m at 13k and have only a 3/36,000 warranty. Plan is to payoff before adding extended warranty but may have to change plans.

·
1,027 Posts

• I haven’t done any research yet but do you know what’s the typical mileage others were at when problem occurred? I’m at 13k and have only a 3/36,000 warranty. Plan is to payoff before adding extended warranty but may have to change plans.
    I thought only 16s had 3 year 36k? I know my 18 has 5 year 100k

1 - 20 of 41 Posts