Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove a Gas version today. I thought it would be a good idea to at least take a look at it, and consider it.
I have to say I liked it very much, acceleration was good, sound levels were good, and it was a very nice ride.
I am very torn on gas or diesel.

Gas would be advantageous now, as i run my business from home, and do not drive much, but we plan on changing that in a couple of years when the wife retires. We are both young, so I was thinking I would sell the motor home, and buy a Travel Trailer, or 5th wheel. Neither one will be over 10,000 pounds, as I want to stay under 28-30 feet, as it is easier to maneuver, and tow.
Historically, the diesel engine trucks tend to resell better, and bring more
The 4K dollars difference in price, would not be big loss, like it would be4 with Ford/Ram/GM should history prove to be wrong.
For the short trip driving I do now, Gas would be better due to regen with a diesel, and such.
I am being very careful with my choosing because i keep my vehicles so long. If I trade one in, it is more to avoid dealing with selling it so cheap.

·
1,300 Posts
Get the diesel lol.
I have not tried the gasser yet tho...

For me I do the same short trips around town, but i do have a Travel Trailer and a sled deck that put on the truck and load our 2 sleds on. I like how diesels pull low end torque to keep wheel spin down. Yes the gas might be faster this and that but i don't like the fact that gas engines need to sit at 6500-7000RPM when pulling on hills, I like my 2500RPM and let the turbos work.

Reactions: Jtp

·
363 Posts
If I was on the fence I'd go with the gas engine, at least in the Titan XD. The 5L's extra heft, cost, lower performance, and operating costs probably offsets any slight diesel benefit even with a Made in America Cummins logo. :)

And I'm not sure how long anyone will be able to keep a modern diesel these days given the internal soot accumulation/arterial sclerosis. Soot in the little TDI's were relatively easy to clean out in local get togethers - I haven't anyone tacking it in today's V8 diesels.

·
348 Posts
The 5.6 red lines at about 6300, sitting 6500 to 7000 would destroy it. I've never had mine need to get above 4800 RPMs while towing, and that was accelerating up a hill with a 6000 lb. trailer, while passing a Cummins XD that couldn't gain speed...lol.

·
207 Posts
Honestly, to me it's all about preference and need... Some will say just buy what you want. I wanted the Cummins because I missed my old one, but didn't care for all the new emissions stuff. In the end, because of frequent city driving and random towing (6.5k camper - empty, and 3.5k trailer and wheelers), I didn't need the diesel. In the end, it would of cost more for no true gain other than possible re-sale later. Therefore, I landed on the gas Pro4X.

Yesterday I actually traveled 320 miles with 16ft trailer, two 700 Grizzly ATV's, 500lbs of corn and 500 lbs of firewood. Roads were slightly rolling hills at times, averaging 65mph and I averaged out to 13.5mpg.

·
570 Posts
Yep, the RPM difference is way way overexaggerated by the ISV fans. Pulling max load, the diesel hits around 4k rpm while the gas hits 6k rpm max.

·
1,979 Posts
Get the diesel lol.
I have not tried the gasser yet tho...

For me I do the same short trips around town, but i do have a Travel Trailer and a sled deck that put on the truck and load our 2 sleds on. I like how diesels pull low end torque to keep wheel spin down. Yes the gas might be faster this and that but i don't like the fact that gas engines need to sit at 6500-7000RPM when pulling on hills, I like my 2500RPM and let the turbos work.[/QUOT

Yeah, well under 5k is max the 5.6 sits at while pulling long hills with a load. Don't try and sell something when you don't really know what you're talking about. If had a 5.6 since 07 and I pull long 7% grades every time I have to head North or East.

OP, you'd be better off with the gasser hands down. Especially for the type of driving you are doing now.
The 5.6 is a solid motor that is capable of lasting a long trouble free life. The 5L is a great motor bUT unless you want to delete all the emissions garbage that is going to cause headaches down the road you'll be happier in the long run with the 5.6.

·
258 Posts

·
450 Posts
Yep, the RPM difference is way way overexaggerated by the ISV fans. Pulling max load, the diesel hits around 4k rpm while the gas hits 6k rpm max.
I don't think it's way over exaggerated at all. I think it depends on the topology you will be towing through and what you will be towing.

I have had several 8k lb loads behind my diesel and it just goes. It's relaxed and spends 90% of the time in overdrive with the torque converter locked. What more could you ask for?

If one expects to pull 8% grades in any truck gas or diesel and it be a relaxed experience then you might need to buy a 1 ton and only pull a go kart.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am very torn, I love the feel of the Titan diesel, and the sound.
The gas feel really nice, and seems to be very peppy.
I think the economics of it are a wash, diesel has cost more than gas for a while, and so any gains in mileage are lost to difference in cost.
I suspect the BTU price is about the same
I drive my vehicles for very long time, my Nissan truck is 16 years old, My wife trades every 3-5

I want to maybe pull to a Travel Trailer, or small 5th wheel once the wife retires, and we will be traveling a lot more .
Probably a Travel trailer, because it seems wasteful to lose the cargo bed to a gooseneck
Until then the old 89 Chielftain motorhome, with 454 will suffice.
I like it because there are only 2 vacuum hoses on top, going to the distributor, and automatic tranny, and it has had a "delete" done to it.
Not sure of the longevity of a gas with 10s of thousands of miles pulling. Although my motorhome is 27 years old, and the 454 is still going fine.

·
658 Posts
I am very torn, I love the feel of the Titan diesel, and the sound.
The gas feel really nice, and seems to be very peppy.
I think the economics of it are a wash, diesel has cost more than gas for a while, and so any gains in mileage are lost to difference in cost.
I suspect the BTU price is about the same
I drive my vehicles for very long time, my Nissan truck is 16 years old, My wife trades every 3-5

I want to maybe pull to a Travel Trailer, or small 5th wheel once the wife retires, and we will be traveling a lot more .
Probably a Travel trailer, because it seems wasteful to lose the cargo bed to a gooseneck
Until then the old 89 Chielftain motorhome, with 454 will suffice.
I like it because there are only 2 vacuum hoses on top, going to the distributor, and automatic tranny, and it has had a "delete" done to it.
Not sure of the longevity of a gas with 10s of thousands of miles pulling. Although my motorhome is 27 years old, and the 454 is still going fine.
This shouldn't be a concern. The gooseneck ball and tie downs are removable leaving a flat and clear bed. If you buy the 5th wheel adapter that is now available from Nissan, it utilizes the factory gooseneck and can be removed from the bed when not in use.

·
348 Posts
The cargo loss concern is while towing. With a 5er hooked up there is no room for bikes, coolers, golf cart etc. Almost need a toy hauler to make up the difference.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Yes before my xd I was set on a 5th wheel next travel trailer purchase. But now with the xd I'm sticking with bumper pulls. Just got back from a camping trip, probably the worst cross wind I have experienced to date. The xd handled it like a champ.

·
658 Posts
The cargo loss concern is while towing. With a 5er hooked up there is no room for bikes, coolers, golf cart etc. Almost need a toy hauler to make up the difference.
I interpreted the other post as wasting cargo space when not towing, but you are right, to a degree. Each persons application and needs are different. I personally, would rather have the stability of a 5th wheel, but to each his own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts