Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dudes. Thanks for the add. I just got my new to me truck and I love everything about it except this “upgraded” RF stereo. This thing sounds like complete garbage. All bass and treble with no mid range to fill out the sound. Great for guys who enjoy more urban style music if you catch my drift. Terrible for guys like me that love classic rock and metal. I’m curious to know what you guys that have this stereo did to fix this problem. Thanks!

·
1,261 Posts
I'm rather liking mine lol. This is the first vehicle I've ever had upgraded stereo... so it sounds great to me lol. If you search this subject a guy on here did a complete redo of his stereo. Tons of crazy good info in the thread

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don’t get me wrong it’s ok for a stock system. But when I read Rockford Fosgate I was expecting something better. Plus it could be fixed it only had a better EQ. I may just try to add an EQ and see what that does for it. 2 bands is just stupid.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I listen to nothing but metal.
I like it better than the so called "premium" bose in my GMs.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I'd be curious if someone with the new 2019 Fender system chimed in here. ?

·
1,324 Posts
I'd be curious if someone with the new 2019 Fender system chimed in here. ?
Someone with the fender on here said they almost bought the previous year because the rf sounded better.

I like my rf. It could use another amp and head unit in future but it beats my new f350 king ranch sony premium crap. Lol

·
1,261 Posts
Someone with the fender on here said they almost bought the previous year because the rf sounded better.

I like my rf. It could use another amp and head unit in future but it beats my new f350 king ranch sony premium crap. Lol
I wanna try and add another sub under driver seat and see if I can run it off factory amp

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
You will find very partisan opinions on the RF system. I lean more towards your side and think the system needs a lot of improvement. I have replaced the 3 dash speakers, rear door speakers and under seat sub speaker plus used a good deal of butyl sound deadening material. It has made a difference. I have a big issue with the jitter when using higher capacity USB drives (128GB) - the system needs a while to buffer in songs when you search the drive and then start playing, so the music breaks-up for a while - plus no support for FLAC files!.... When integration with aftermarket equipment gets better I will change out the entire system.

Here are some threads that I have participated in:
https://www.titanxdforum.com/threads/changed-the-front-dash-speakers-and-added-mudflaps.42313/
https://www.titanxdforum.com/threads/speaker-replacement.27714/

·
1,261 Posts
You will find very partisan opinions on the RF system. I lean more towards your side and think the system needs a lot of improvement. I have replaced the 3 dash speakers, rear door speakers and under seat sub speaker plus used a good deal of butyl sound deadening material. It has made a difference. I have a big issue with the jitter when using higher capacity USB drives (128GB) - the system needs a while to buffer in songs when you search the drive and then start playing, so the music breaks-up for a while - plus no support for FLAC files!.... When integration with aftermarket equipment gets better I will change out the entire system.

Here are some threads that I have participated in:
https://www.titanxdforum.com/threads/changed-the-front-dash-speakers-and-added-mudflaps.42313/
https://www.titanxdforum.com/threads/speaker-replacement.27714/
Did you just put a better sub into the oem sub box?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Yes, I just changed out the driver it cleaned up and tighten up the bass. This made it less booming and sloppy.

The Pioneer TS-SW2002 2ohm dual voice coil sub is really close to a direct replacement and is on sale at Crutchfield for $80: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSS2002/Pioneer-TS-SW2002D2.html?tp=70205

I went with the Rockford Fosgate P3SD2-8 2ohm dual voice coil sub and I had to really work on the factory box to get it to fit.

The factory sub is 1.2 ohm dual voice sub - so you will lose a very small bit of volume - for me this worked out fine because I think the system is pretty unbalance and the factory driver is a bit sloppy for my liking. The Pioneer is much more efficient at 89db then the Rockford I purchased at 82db so if you go that route you my not lose any volume at all.

My wife also noticed that the system is much cleaner and balanced with the replacement speakers that I installed. I still have one of the Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m dash center channel speakers left if your interested ;)

·
5 Posts
New guy here.
I have the Fender system. It's okay. The lack of an EQ was pretty disheartening to be honest. Treble and bass? Really? What is this 1982? I think if there was a way to add in an EQ (there probably is I haven't checked) it would go from okay to good.

FYI I listen to a lot of Metal from death to sludge to grind. I also enjoy my acoustic music and older country as well as more mainstream stuff a little.

For a stock system it's better than my 2015 Mustang premium sounded. I put a Pioneer AVH-4400, it has an 11 band EQ, in my 2007 Mustang replacing the shaker 500 unit and even with the stock speakers and amps that destroys this system.

It's sad but Nissan could push an update to the stereo programming with a real EQ and fix all this for the most part but they won't. Not being able to fine tune your sound hurts things tremendously.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new truck. Yes, I agree a lot of the issues could be compensated for if they had built-in a proper EQ. Also on the RF system if you fade to the rear to bring down the bright front dash speakers you kill the mid-bass in the front doors...drives me nuts!

·
6 Posts
I think "Garbage" is a relative term. One thing you may want to check is the condition of the speakers, my brother and I both have XD's with the Rockfords and mine sounded way better than his, due to the fact that both of his door speakers were blown.

As others have mentioned what is "Good" is relevant to what you're comparing it to, if you're comparing it to other factory installed radios offered in other vehicles today, its pretty darn good, but if you're comparing it to a custom installed sound system then yeah, its not going to be in the same ballpark.

I have done my share of radio upgrading in the past and these systems are generally designed with cost effectiveness in mind. I used to get super excited when the Crutchfield catalog arrived, and it replaced the excitement i got for the Sears holiday catalog when i got older. It took me a few vehicles to discover that just because you replace something with a "better" component (ex replace factory speakers) it won't necessarily sound better. Did that in my 2000 Tacoma, replaced the door speakers but kept the factory head unit, could hardly hear the speakers because the factory head unit didnt have enough watts to drive them properly. I am glad to read that some have replaced the speakers in these trucks with success though, give me an option when i blow these.

My last truck (2015 F150) had an OK sounding radio but needed some more bottom end, i got one of those small sealed powered 10" subwoofers and stuck behind the back seat, sounded like a whole new radio.

Anyway, theres some cool stuff out there now, example Alpine makes a small add on amp for factory head units (KTP-445U) to give weaker systems a little more umph, but not really the issue with our radios. Theres also some nice install kits where you could replace the factory head unit and it still look factory. Or you can go way out there and put in a 12" touchscreen....google Pheonix Automotive for that cool install.

I always said back in my racing days "Speed costs money, how fast you wanna go?" so the same can be applied here, Sound costs money, how loud you wanna jam?

Cheers

·
13 Posts
I just bought a 2020 with the Fender system and I'm pretty impressed for a stock radio. I'm really surprised that the RF could be any better. I had a 2018 Mustang premium and this Fender system is much better than that one. I listen to classic rock and metal mostly and it sounds great. Plenty of bass and the highs and mid sounds good too.

·
1,261 Posts
I just bought a 2020 with the Fender system and I'm pretty impressed for a stock radio. I'm really surprised that the RF could be any better. I had a 2018 Mustang premium and this Fender system is much better than that one. I listen to classic rock and metal mostly and it sounds great. Plenty of bass and the highs and mid sounds good too.
If you think that fender system sounds great you would be mind blown over the Rockford lol

·
210 Posts
My Ford came from the factory with a 700w sub and sony system, it was better than the RF. If I had not had Sony, I would think this system is pretty good for factory. All of my previous vehicles had custom systems that rocked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts