Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the site as I just bought my first Titan. It's a 2017 Platinum Reserve with the 5.6L engine. It has just under 21k miles and the fuel mileage is much worse than I thought it would be. They advertised 15 city 19 highway and even running down the interstate at 75 or 80.. tried both.. I'm getting 15 regularly. Is this normal? Is there a much larger break in period with these trucks before the engine smooths out on its drinking habits? As far as I can tell it is completely stock. It had one owner before me and it was purchased and owned in my area.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions, or tips.

·
61 Posts
18 solid for me and I run back and fourth from Syracuse NY to Tampa FL. Get some fuel injection cleaner and octane booster and run a coupe tanks of super and it should clean it up and bump the mpg to 18ish.

·
614 Posts
Welcome aboard

I don’t have the gas motor but might try going slower. Anything above 65 and my mpg tank. Mine really loves 55 and below.

Reactions: Carbide

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
18 solid for me and I run back and fourth from Syracuse NY to Tampa FL. Get some fuel injection cleaner and octane booster and run a coupe tanks of super and it should clean it up and bump the mpg to 18ish.
Thanks for the tips, I figured with such low miles that wouldn't be a concern, but maybe I'll try to run some seafoam through it to clean it all up.

·
61 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I figured with such low miles that wouldn't be a concern, but maybe I'll try to run some seafoam through it to clean it all up.
Your welcome. Also I don't think winter gas blends are the cleanest fuel either. It's like they put an additive in it to make it spoil faster! lol

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I just hauled 2 snowmobiles 800+ mile round trip and averaged about 12.
10.5 mpg if I was going 65+ mph.
13 mpg if I was going under 65 mph.

On a road trip a few months ago without a trailer I got as high as 17ish mpg if I was going 60ish mph.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
HI EricTitanXD,
Con Grats, as for your FE, a gas engine, I'm not familiar with the 5.6, the Diesel take about 18-20K for break-in. I would think pending how it was driven by 20k she could be close. Except that if it was driven mostly slower speeds and city.. your going to need to running longer to get the upper part of the cylinders to wear in, may be a little tight yet there.. Also without seeing a spec fuel to torque to hp chart, there is a sweet spot for best fuel.. FE . So if your running 75-80 I would say another 5K or better to really loosen it up. but again you may be past the sweet spot in RPM's..
Keep us posted and let us know. There are others here with 5.6 Gas. I'm sure they will chime in sooner or later..

Regards,
Ric

·
895 Posts
You have a big truck with an XD model heavy frame that was made for the 5.0 diesel engine, and Nissan included a gas eating 5.7 to also push it...The gasser install doesn't spell easy on fuel consumption to anyone that is familiar with normal full sized p/u trucks much less this one, lol! Get a grip, you have a really big truck and washing that big thing is no fun either! :wink2:

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Well, good to read the chimes, on FE for gas.. 390 hp, vs 310 diesel,, we ave 18-19 city 23-25 hwy best.. average 19-20 combined.. fshn16 is right.. it is a big truck.. park it next to a Ram 250 4x4 even if your a 4x2 your XD stands tall and big with it. And your weights are similar.. Gas or Diesel a great truck..

Ric

Attachments

·
274 Posts
Well, good to read the chimes, on FE for gas.. 390 hp, vs 310 diesel,, we ave 18-19 city 23-25 hwy best.. average 19-20 combined.. fshn16 is right.. it is a big truck.. park it next to a Ram 250 4x4 even if your a 4x2 your XD stands tall and big with it. And your weights are similar.. Gas or Diesel a great truck..

Ric
Man I sure wish I was getting 23-25 out of my 4x4 diesel. Highest I have EVER gotten out of it is 23.7 for a trip of about 25 miles, pretty much all down hill. I average between 13-18 on a normal highway empty trips.

My tank I just hand calculated a few minutes ago on my way home was 13.34 MPG. I do have a bit(10% or less) of in city towing my cargo trailer, and I did spend about 4 minutes getting stuck in 4LO, but everything else is highway. These trucks guzzle going 80-90 highway speeds but if I go 65 or less around here then I will end up run off the road.

·
895 Posts
Lol, no one anywhere has asked me about fuel consumption because if it's a truck what else is there to expect, and if ya ask others then you should have bought a Prius and go on your way as some rudely state! Me, I gotta laugh and say go get a Honda!!

·
449 Posts
Hey everyone, new to the site as I just bought my first Titan. It's a 2017 Platinum Reserve with the 5.6L engine. It has just under 21k miles and the fuel mileage is much worse than I thought it would be. They advertised 15 city 19 highway and even running down the interstate at 75 or 80.. tried both.. I'm getting 15 regularly. Is this normal? Is there a much larger break in period with these trucks before the engine smooths out on its drinking habits? As far as I can tell it is completely stock. It had one owner before me and it was purchased and owned in my area.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions, or tips.
Even without addressing weight, tire and drivetrain resistance and engine management differences, you have to deal with the massive frontal area.

Air/wind resistance increases as a SQUARE of the increase in speed. And this truck has a big frontal profile. Driving at higher speeds, the faster the worse it gets, really drags down the mpg.

For some reason I find a big drop in mpg anywhere past 65-70 mpg. I find it a little annoying out west on the Interstate where you gotta run 70-80 mph just to keep from getting run over. But the mpg seems to be the only casualty, it pulls like a beast at that speed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
185 Posts
My truck is lifted and on 34's. I have calculated for the 9% difference is tire circumference. I'm not easy on my truck and average high 11's in town and around 15 on the highway. If you consider the difference in fuel cost per gallon, the 5.0 and 5.6 cost about the same per mile.

·
44 Posts
With my Pro 4X XD Gas, there is a significant drop in MPG when speeds are above 70. For example on my commute to work, 75-80 will get me about 13-14. If I go 65-70 I can get 17.5 or so.

I try not to look at MPG these days cause it can drive you crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, the main reason I asked was because it was advertised 15 city 19 highway.. definitely not the case after I bought it. I'm not complaining, just making sure nothing is wrong that I should be concerned with. I love the truck and maybe I'll look into chips or something for more power to compensate for weight. I appreciate everyone's responses and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one!

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
With my Pro 4X XD Gas, there is a significant drop in MPG when speeds are above 70. For example on my commute to work, 75-80 will get me about 13-14. If I go 65-70 I can get 17.5 or so.

I try not to look at MPG these days cause it can drive you crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same...the quoted assumptions are usually unachievable and I had to leave worrying about gas mileage alone after my first car 5.0 supercharged Mustang... there were times she would see 4mpg.
Now I stick to SUV’s and bigger.... thankfully all better gas mileage

·
460 Posts
I stopped trying to get optimum fuel economy about a year ago. It's a truck, a **** big heavy truck. It ain't a Prius. I didn't buy it to try and get 40 mpg. I now have 113,000 miles on the Cummins (runs like a boss!), 34's, 2" level kit, Ridge Grappler tires, iDrive pedal adjuster, etc. My combined fuel economy is 16 mpg, not deleted. It is what it is. I just drive my truck and take care of it. Stopped watching the gauges about a year ago other than to remind me when to do maintenance. I typically run 80 mph (75 mph is limit) on the interstate and 5-7 over in town. Responsiveness with iDrive is bitchin. Totally dig driving the truck after I put it in. Before, I was ready to trade for a gasser. I'm keeping her now. Trying to be there first one on here to 200K miles....

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I'm not complaining either. I need a truck and love this one. Anything over the 11 mpg I got with my 8.1 big block whether towing or not is a bonus. :wink2:

·
116 Posts
Yeah, the main reason I asked was because it was advertised 15 city 19 highway.. definitely not the case after I bought it. I'm not complaining, just making sure nothing is wrong that I should be concerned with. I love the truck and maybe I'll look into chips or something for more power to compensate for weight. I appreciate everyone's responses and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one!
Where was that advertised? It's a class 2B truck and doesn't get an EPA mileage rating. Regular Titan does... IIRC 15/21 MPG.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts