Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
5 Posts
Well - for me, I did not have the specific issues you report with lunging forward.

I will say: some subsequent issues ended up being an intermittently bad right rear wheel speed sensor (which was causing ~11 codes, 6 ABS and 5 CEL).
Really... So did you replace the wheel speed sensor and did you finally get a fix on the slip light staying on? When he scanned my truck code P0106 came up along with P2637 which is a torque management feedback problem with the transmission. After replacing the first map sensor only the P0106 code came back and also an ABS code but not the P2637 code. Are you running your truck tuned and deleted?

·
3 Posts
I have my truck in the shop right now as we speak for the same issue. They replaced a map sensor already and the light came back on. The truck is shifting hard and when I come to a stop the truck lunges foward. The truck does have a AFE power intake, tuned and deleted. I'm going to call dealer in the morning and have them take a look at the intake for air leaks. I sure am hoping this is my problem as well sir. Thanks for the post!

I’m having the exact same issues now. I also have an aftermarket intake from CFT performance along with a tune & delete. What was the outcome?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Life has been insane - apologies for delayed replies.

Really... So did you replace the wheel speed sensor and did you finally get a fix on the slip light staying on? When he scanned my truck code P0106 came up along with P2637 which is a torque management feedback problem with the transmission. After replacing the first map sensor only the P0106 code came back and also an ABS code but not the P2637 code. Are you running your truck tuned and deleted?
The right rear wheel speed sensor got replaced in December 2018 after a slew of other, unrelated codes came up. This intermittently bad sensor solved all ~13 of the CEL and ABS codes. I was not tuned or deleted when I posted this thread initially, so I am not sure what to tell you, sorry.

I’m having the exact same issues now. I also have an aftermarket intake from CFT performance along with a tune & delete. What was the outcome?
The issues I posted about went and stayed away until mid-November 2018 (from April 2018) and that is with ~36,000 miles added in that time. Not sure what to tell you, sorry.

·
1 Posts
Nissan Titan XD - traction control / slipping light staying on

The week has been a mess. Related issues, I would wager, to my initial post here... so I am going to add this in case it happens to anyone else.

In short: I had a 6 gallon canister of spare diesel fuel burst in the bed, on Sunday afternoon. I drove ~70 miles after it happened so it thoroughly dripped and drained. Being an oil, though, the diesel stuck to many things. I was out of time and it was well below freezing, so it had to sit overnight without a proper cleaning.

Monday night I start it up to go to the self-serve car wash near my house, and the traction light is on. And staying on. The truck is shifting VERY HARD after each gear, on snow and on dry pavement. In 2x4 and in 4x4. My initial thought is: this is related to the damned diesel fluid, which finally dripped and dropped into the speed sensors or some other component.

A scan of the truck gave 2 pending OBDII codes...

P0106 [generic cause is intake manifold pressure incorrect]
P22CD [generic cause is turbo outlet valve stuck open]

... and a single active ABS code:

C1130 [generic cause is anything from faulty ECM... to a faulty ABS actuator... to CAN BUS errors]

With this data, then, I had all the wrong clues for the situation.

I again cleaned the rear wheels, hubs, brake components, and then cracked open the rear wheel speed sensors (if you have any salt near you... I have no idea what the torque on these bolts is supposed to be, but plan on having a damned breaker bar close at hand):

Driver side rear speed sensor:

Driver's side rear wheel hub:

Passenger rear sensor wire, completely free of any diesel fuel on the wiring boot:

The O-rings both had some rust on them, but the sensors were bone dry. No diesel there. The hubs inside were clean (not dry, they had gear oil on them which is good) and free of contamination with diesel.

So what the ACTUAL **** is causing the traction light to stay on, and yet 4x4 is not binding, and the drive train visibly works correctly when shifting in park........

Thanks to the intuition of @XDHunter, it turns out that the oh-so-obvious cause of drive train components... is actually an emissions concern.

He suggested I recheck every connection in the motor and under the truck, because modern diesels are tending to throw drivetrain codes and lights when it thinks emissions tampering is happening.

Sure enough. The silicone boot on the air intake tube to the top of the motor... was tightened sufficiently but the tube had shifted to its side. This means that high speeds would cause the boot to flex and the air intake pressure would be SIGNIFICANTLY incorrect for moments (likely why the OBDII codes above were "pending" rather than active).

I righted the air intake tube, and tightened the worm drive clamp thoroughly. I cleared the existing codes and have driven approximately 50 miles tonight, a mix of city and highway driving. The traction light went out and stayed out; the shifts are back to 100% normal; 2x4 and 4x4 work correctly and shift effortlessly back and forth. No CEL or dash lights of any sort. No return of the pending codes, either.

This is a huge relief, as it meant no removing aftermarket parts in order to take it to the stealership.

This may even be the actual cause for my initial P2263 code. The catch can being slightly loose may even be a red herring like the diesel fuel spill.

TOO LONG TO READ SUMMARY: if you have the traction light come on/stay on and find pending codes related to intake manifold pressure - you almost certainly have an air leak in the intake system and NOT any driveline issues. I have posted all of this to help anyone who may end up in a similar situation... because it was mighty disconcerting to Google these codes + "Titan XD" and find no useful hits.

Even shorter (NSFW) summary of how I feel about chasing drivetrain issues all week because of the entirely unrelated, coincidental diesel fuel spill:

I'm experiencing the exact same problem. I will check the silicon boot tonight. WHo would have ever thought this was making the tranny buck like a bronco? thanks for the share.

·
416 Posts
Yes, I hated to see member mrbrefast go...he sold his XD a couple years ago when his needs changes. Was one of the best posters on the forum, documenting his work closely and with pictures. Good guy....

21 - 25 of 25 Posts