Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just traded my truck and now have RAM 3500 limited with high output 6.7 diesel. It basically gave me a miles of trouble free driving and was fun to drive. At 73000 (approx.) oil analysis of a oil change that i might have a leaking EGR cooler. That was putting antifreeze via blow-by into the oil. I called the closest dealer; he ran the vin of the truck and said it is out of warranty at 60K miles (?) because it is a very early build of the truck. A couple more dealers said they do not work on them with the diesels. I found a used one on fleabay with less than 15K miles and cheap. I had it cleaned, pressure tested and it check good. Plus i was having some problems with check engine light on and with the turbo actuator rotary valve. Most of the was lack of communication with the ECM. I checked all 4 wires for broken wires, took the wire bundle apart for a shorted/broken wire, the plug and actuator all checked good. This problem would come and go on a few more times before I sold it and went into limp mode twice. Then I made the decision to trade it in and get a RAM truck. 2 dealers here in the greater Seattle area one did not want the truck as trade-in. The other one just told me 10K for truck and I walked out.
I think this truck has so much potential as a full-sized pickup, was rated as a 3/4 ton and it if had a 8 foot bed would been a hot seller. Fit and finish was great and this one never did have rattles on the inside. The 3.9 overall gear ratio could have been 3.73 that would help with the mileage. The tranny never gave problems after I did oil analysis got some unknown oil out of it. I changed to Amsoil ATF and new filter. The regens were terrible and I averaged one about every 250 miles +-. I did go looking for the leak and never did find it. It might be the swing valve for the turbo. My fuel mileage was about 16.5 MPG city/work and on long trips I got 18-19 MPG with cruise on. Overall it was good but it has it moments. The engine would have made simpler without the exotic Holset turbo. I wish that it had a derated 6.7 Cummins instead. Thanks for all of the info and some fun posts too. Meet you on the 5th generation Ram forum. Thanks again. John

Reactions: Bmw

·
627 Posts
10k on trade... What a slap in the face. What did you end up getting on trade? The 6.7 is where I'm going to end up, probably as well. I'm afraid it will be impossible to find parts for our trucks sooner than later.

·
2017 Titan XD
85 Posts
10k on trade... What a slap in the face. What did you end up getting on trade? The 6.7 is where I'm going to end up, probably as well. I'm afraid it will be impossible to find parts for our trucks sooner than later.
If Cummins stands by the product for the next 10 years like they've said then we shouldn't have a problem lol.

·
615 Posts
If Cummins stands by the product for the next 10 years like they've said then we shouldn't have a problem lol.
“Like they‘ve said”
That’s a good one! Till you truck is in the shop for months waiting for parts or the Nissan dealership has no one to work on it.

Reactions: Spaceace77

·
2017 Titan XD
85 Posts
“Like they‘ve said”
That’s a good one! Till you truck is in the shop for months waiting for parts or the Nissan dealership has no one to work on it.
I haven’t had a problem with them yet and if it truly ever gets down to that then I’ll be ready to change trucks or maybe even do a potential engine swap. Cummins has been supporting the 5.9 for years, theres no reason they wouldn’t do the same for our 5.0s. Tons of choices out there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts