Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone looked under their 5.0 Cummins equipped trucks and can tell me the possibility of fitting a larger tank? I haven't bought a truck yet but this is one of my top choices minus the small tank. I drive 25k miles a year and on my old Tundra with the 26 gallon tank I disliked having to fill up everytime I drove it. The Titan XD according to fuelly looks to provide the same fuel average as the Tundra with the same tank size as my old Tundra, so I'd be filling up quite often. I know no one makes a larger replacement tank yet but I was just curious if the possibility is there?

·
1,979 Posts
If money is evolved there's always a possibility, but doubtful the aftermarket will make a bigher tank. The aftermarket segment will probably be fairly weak on the trucks kinda like the previous Gen Titans. Your best bet would be putting in a bed transfer tank but again that will take a chunk out of the already dismal payload.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Anyone looked under their 5.0 Cummins equipped trucks and can tell me the possibility of fitting a larger tank? I haven't bought a truck yet but this is one of my top choices minus the small tank. I drive 25k miles a year and on my old Tundra with the 26 gallon tank I disliked having to fill up everytime I drove it. The Titan XD according to fuelly looks to provide the same fuel average as the Tundra with the same tank size as my old Tundra, so I'd be filling up quite often. I know no one makes a larger replacement tank yet but I was just curious if the possibility is there?
Not sure what those guys are doing on fuelly. But my xd diesel is no where near that bad. Maybe they are always doing 90mph with a 1000lbs in the back? It's a heck of alot better on fuel then my old Titan. And I consider the old titans and tundra not too far apart on mpg. But that's just me. And the fact I do alot of rural hwy 65mph max.

·
224 Posts
I have looked under the truck at that possibility. The tank is restricted fore and aft, partially by cab and partially by DEF tank. I think that the tank could be wrapped above the driveshaft with the appropriate puncture shield, and that would yield a sizeable increase. A custom fabricator should easily be able to come up with something if you are willing to get away from ABS and into aluminum.

MB

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Code:
Not sure what those guys are doing on fuelly. But my xd diesel is no where near that bad. Maybe they are always doing 90mph with a 1000lbs in the back? It's a heck of alot better on fuel then my old Titan. And I consider the old titans and tundra not too far apart on mpg. But that's just me. And the fact I do alot of rural hwy 65mph max.
Me either but all the trucks I've looked at (which is pretty much every 1/2 & 3/4 ton) on the forums/facebook pages I've seen substantial claims of over 20 mpg on highway trips. Only trucks I've seen real data of this happening with is 2.7 ecoboost, ecodiesel, GM 6.2 8 speed & 5.3 6 speed. All the trucks I've owned in the passed 14-15 mpg is where they've all been that includes 6.0 powerstroke, 6.7 Cummins, 5.7 tundra. Granted thats with leveled and aftermarket wheels and tires but I really only lost about 1-2 mpg on all of them. On fuelly I'm seeing averages of 14mpg on the XD diesel and as high as 17ish but not for the average.

·
450 Posts
I have a 40 mile round trip to work every day and in my 2014 Titan I typically got around 14mpg. In my diesel Titan I am getting around 21mpg. That's mostly highway at 55-60 mph.

I did make a 300 mile round trip (90% interstate @ 75mph) and got 24 mpg. This is Indiana though. Higher elevation or hill country would probably put a dent in that.

·
147 Posts
Took a pic yesterday when filling up. Was happy i got 500 miles out of the tank with 2 or 3 gallons to spare. My round trip commute is about 64 miles mostly HWY sometimes at 70+ mph. mpg 21.4

Attachments

·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kadoi and Isaboutime are both your trucks 4x4? Those are good numbers better than advertised in youtube reviews or I've seen on fuelly.

·
147 Posts
2x4 SL. In morning with no traffic, i have averaged as well as 24 but I am pretty light on the pedal.

ive got about 5k miles on it. I did a 2,000 mile trip to colorado and the overall performance of the truck has seemed to improve since then as the motor is getting more miles on it

·
903 Posts
It would be great if it had a bigger tank. Just came back from 500 mile round trip camping and averaged 13.5 (14.5 down @ 72mph and 12.5 @ 77 mph back) mpg pulling my Airstream and all camping supplies. Thought about getting one of the transfer tanks plumbed in but haven't bit the bullet yet.

·
450 Posts
Yeah mine is a Pro4x. I really think how flat it is around here plays a big part in the mileage I see. For reference I let it sit an idle for about an hour one day while I was eating lunch because it was a thousand degrees outside. That drug my MPG average from the morning commute down to 13mpg. The evening commute brought the average back up to 17 mpg and it was only a 20 mile trip.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
154 Posts
Wow.
I average 10-14 mpg on the freeway 16 at most.

and thats without towing and I'm not on the pedal the whole time I'm a cautious slow driver.

something may be wrong?

·
450 Posts
Yeah same here. I've made the trip home from work driving like John Force because I like to do that some days and still got 15 mpg.

·
49 Posts
Milage

I've got a PRO-4X with only about 650 miles on it so far.
A 200 mile trip through NH got me almost 22 MPG average; at one point I was averaging over 25 MPG. That was driving between 70 and 80 MPH.
Just driving around town, I'm getting about 15 MPG.
I don't baby it, but I don't drive it like I stole it either.
Can't wait to see how she does after being broken in.

I did go to the local nursery and got a load of 3/4" crushed stone and the guy said he'd give me more than a half yard (a yard is about 2,700 lbs I think) - the truck definately squatted and felt a bit sluggish, but with the stone and me in the truck, I think we were very close if not over the spec'd weight limit.

Love he truck so far.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts