Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I know everyone here is excited for the new Titan to finally be released. But if you all are like me, (and I think you are, we are members of a forum for the truck that isn't even released) you like to research and know all the details and ins and outs of or your truck. I see so many awesome innovations and so much potential for this truck. But I also am concerned about a few things. I am sure some of you may know things the rest of us don't.. So here are my concerns-

1. They will do an exterior re-design too soon. Ok so I am not in love with the exterior design of the truck. Too much badging and overdone lines imo..it seems that a lot of people don't like the design- will this prompt Nissan to make changes thus making the new release outdated.. .?

2. Diesel reliability. The fact that cummins is providing the engine I am not SUPER worried about it. I am hoping one of you may be more familiar with the current isv5.0 than I am. But with strict emissions standards and the necessary "over complication" of diesels, I am concerned..

3. Price. I know we are all concerned about this, but I hope Nissan realizes that buying this new truck will be taking a leap of faith and price it to help alleviate our pain lol..

4. Resale. Ok so I have watched every video and read every article I can find on this truck. I see all the R&D that went into it. But let's be honest here, ALL new cars receive extensive testing by the manufacturer. That doesn't guarantee it won't either flop or be a huge turd. (This coming from a guy that bought the "all new ford 6.0- internationals next best thing..) so when we either want to sell or trade in our XD, will we take it up the shorts??

Here are my concerns- what are u all thinking?

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
1. They will do an exterior re-design too soon. Ok so I am not in love with the exterior design of the truck. Too much badging and overdone lines imo..it seems that a lot of people don't like the design- will this prompt Nissan to make changes thus making the new release outdated.. .?
There is always going to be someone that doesn't like the design of something. That's part of being human. The design only has to be attractive to enough people to be a profitable investment and worth further investment.

2. Diesel reliability. The fact that cummins is providing the engine I am not SUPER worried about it. I am hoping one of you may be more familiar with the current isv5.0 than I am. But with strict emissions standards and the necessary "over complication" of diesels, I am concerned..
Cummins has some experience with emissions controls. DPF and SCR is getting to be mature technology and Cummins is one of the key players in maturing that techology. Will there be hiccups, probably, but I don't think they're going to be on the same level as casting sand eroding EGR coolers.

3. Price. I know we are all concerned about this, but I hope Nissan realizes that buying this new truck will be taking a leap of faith and price it to help alleviate our pain lol..
The Cummins is a safe bet, the aisin transmission and the AAM axle are known factors and have a good reputation. So the unknowns are the suspension, the front axle, the cooling system, the frame and the rest of the truck. So I would say in many ways the Titan XD is going to have the same risk factors as any refresh from any manufacture. Nissan has so much riding on this truck though, I would expect very high levels of QC for the first couple of years and then the bean counters will get more involved in things.

4. Resale. Ok so I have watched every video and read every article I can find on this truck. I see all the R&D that went into it. But let's be honest here, ALL new cars receive extensive testing by the manufacturer. That doesn't guarantee it won't either flop or be a huge turd. (This coming from a guy that bought the "all new ford 6.0- internationals next best thing..) so when we either want to sell or trade in our XD, will we take it up the shorts??
Diesel powered trucks always resale for more, doesn't matter if it's a 1991 5.9L Cummins, a 1984 6.9L IDI or a 2007 6.0L. Ford with the high production numbers and questionable reputation on the 6.0l certainly has driven used prices down, but they're still well above gasoline powered trucks.

·
772 Posts
#1 concern: they will keep that horrendous badge on the fender.

The powertrain looks like it is overbuilt, something they did the exact opposite of on the first gen titan. so thats nice to see.

·
665 Posts
Well I went in to Nissan to buy two oil filters and left with two oil filters and a 2015 Leaf, so that might explain why I like the fender badge!

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is always going to be someone that doesn't like the design of something. That's part of being human. The design only has to be attractive to enough people to be a profitable investment and worth further investment.

Cummins has some experience with emissions controls. DPF and SCR is getting to be mature technology and Cummins is one of the key players in maturing that techology. Will there be hiccups, probably, but I don't think they're going to be on the same level as casting sand eroding EGR coolers.

The Cummins is a safe bet, the aisin transmission and the AAM axle are known factors and have a good reputation. So the unknowns are the suspension, the front axle, the cooling system, the frame and the rest of the truck. So I would say in many ways the Titan XD is going to have the same risk factors as any refresh from any manufacture. Nissan has so much riding on this truck though, I would expect very high levels of QC for the first couple of years and then the bean counters will get more involved in things.

Diesel powered trucks always resale for more, doesn't matter if it's a 1991 5.9L Cummins, a 1984 6.9L IDI or a 2007 6.0L. Ford with the high production numbers and questionable reputation on the 6.0l certainly has driven used prices down, but they're still well above gasoline powered trucks.

Thanks for all the replies! I think you are very right. have any of you seen the truck in person? It sure seems that pictures may not quite give the full story on how it looks..

·
665 Posts
Thanks for all the replies! I think you are very right. have any of you seen the truck in person? It sure seems that pictures may not quite give the full story on how it looks..
I have not gotten to see the truck in person yet. I wanted to see it at the Vancouver auto show but the Titan didn't go there, the closest it got was Calgary and that's a road trip away that I couldn't take.

·
340 Posts
In terms of QC and reliability... The XD is mostly based on the NV2500 Commercial van. That guy has had a few years on the market now to suss out most niggles...or so one would assume...

·
608 Posts
How long until other companies bring out their own diesel trucks to directly compete with the Titan? That's my main concern. What if something better comes along shortly after I purchase the Titan?

·
665 Posts
There will only be equals, nothing better. Any truck that had an ISV will be at least on equal footing with the Titan.

·
857 Posts
How long until other companies bring out their own diesel trucks to directly compete with the Titan? That's my main concern. What if something better comes along shortly after I purchase the Titan?
Toyota is said to be next or one of, the tundra is long over due for the diesel treatment.

·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Toyota is said to be next or one of, the tundra is long over due for the diesel treatment.
I have heard the same thing- I was hoping toyota would get on it, but it appears that they have no plans of introducing a diesel anytime soon. From what I have read if anything they will pursue electric technology in their trucks to up performance.. And even if they do somehow introduce a diesel it will probably be manufactured by Hino.. Sooo it looks like for now Nissan has the market cornered for 1/2 ton diesels..

·
772 Posts
thats a dilemma you could drive yourself crazy over for anything in life lol.

·
857 Posts
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows the measurement at the rear wheel, the height from the ground to the top of the box?
From what i've seen those specs don't seen to be available as yet, but given the current state of the new Titan, we should be seeing that and more soon.

·
3 Posts
The engine is not an issue. Ram passed on it but that was their mistake. The big C has been making this engine for over 5 years to the public. RV and Coach mfg's have been using it in the Class C and Class B motor homes. I am hoping that they are using DEF and not a DPF for emissions. I have worked for a CAT dealer in the past and DPF/ Exhaust regen is a joke. It cost way too much to repair. DEF is a better way to go and your not robbing the fuel tank and loosing MPG #'s. My main concern is what is the maintenance schedule, What wheel sizes will be available, and what will be the final towing gvr.
I have driven every Ford configuration but the 6.7L. I currently have been using a F150 FX4 as my daily driver and pulling truck. I need a bigger truck. But I am not paying 50k for the privilege of owning another F250. I am seriously considering the XD as my next truck. If it gets 20+mpg at hwy speeds in a 4x4 and can handle a 15K gooseneck load, then it will be parked in my driveway as long as i can get one for under 40 thousand.

·
313 Posts
The engine is not an issue. Ram passed on it but that was their mistake. The big C has been making this engine for over 5 years to the public. RV and Coach mfg's have been using it in the Class C and Class B motor homes. I am hoping that they are using DEF and not a DPF for emissions. I have worked for a CAT dealer in the past and DPF/ Exhaust regen is a joke. It cost way too much to repair. DEF is a better way to go and your not robbing the fuel tank and loosing MPG #'s. My main concern is what is the maintenance schedule, What wheel sizes will be available, and what will be the final towing gvr.
I have driven every Ford configuration but the 6.7L. I currently have been using a F150 FX4 as my daily driver and pulling truck. I need a bigger truck. But I am not paying 50k for the privilege of owning another F250. I am seriously considering the XD as my next truck. If it gets 20+mpg at hwy speeds in a 4x4 and can handle a 15K gooseneck load, then it will be parked in my driveway as long as i can get one for under 40 thousand.
Think the 5L Cummins is like all the other current diesels in pickups. It uses both DEF to reduce NOx and DPF with regen to reduce particulates.

And the tow capacity has been said to be above 12K lbs, so I doubt it will be up to 15K or they would have said so. Probably could handle it though, if the pin weight wasn't too high. We don't know what the rear GAWR will be on these trucks. They have a substantial rear differential, but nobody really knows whether the rear axles are full- or half-float, and the wheels are only 6 lug.

·
49 Posts
Anyone come across details on if the XD will be equipped with an exhaust brake? I do know XD will be equipped with Hill Decent for uphill starts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts