Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my fuel strainer/lift pump pictured below. My warranty won’t cover it. It seems fairly simple to replace, but I am hoping to get advice or hear from yalls prior experience. The dealer wants $1100 plus to replace it. I can buy it for less than $500. Is this something easily replaced or is there some special process/tools required?
Font Gas Clock Screenshot Auto part

554 Posts
Welcome to the forum...Just to be clear, what you show in the picture is not the Stage 1 Fuel filter/Lift Pump assembly. It is the Stage 2 filter that attaches to the side of the intake manifold. I mean if that is what you need, cool. But if you are not getting fuel pressure or need the "lift pump" don't buy this. Not sure we've had any folks reporting having to change the stage 2 filter...maybe one I remember where they broke it pulling the filter out. Probably not a big deal to swap out though. Can post some pics from the service manual if you really need intel on this one.

Lift pump/stage 1 housing is a really easy job...just an expensive part for the puny thing (pump) it is. (sigh)

11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply and info. The parts guy at the dealership gave me this part number but referred to it as the lift pump. So I’m not sure which one it is then. I’ll have to go back to the dealership and make sure. Thanks again.

11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum...Just to be clear, what you show in the picture is not the Stage 1 Fuel filter/Lift Pump assembly. It is the Stage 2 filter that attaches to the side of the intake manifold. I mean if that is what you need, cool. But if you are not getting fuel pressure or need the "lift pump" don't buy this. Not sure we've had any folks reporting having to change the stage 2 filter...maybe one I remember where they broke it pulling the filter out. Probably not a big deal to swap out though. Can post some pics from the service manual if you really need intel on this one.

Lift pump/stage 1 housing is a really easy job...just an expensive part for the puny thing (pump) it is. (sigh)

Is this the part you were referring to?
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Circle
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Circle

554 Posts
Yes, this is the pump/filter assembly on the rear driver side frame rail. So, what kind of problem were you experiencing? Any codes such as low fuel pressure? What is scary is that knowledge about the diesels is sometimes quite low at some dealers--parts department folks for sure. Many dealers don't even have a trained diesel mechanic any more. The person who gave you that part number may actually believe that is the "lift pump".

I just sort of wonder what might have gone wrong with your stage 2 filter apparatus...not saying something couldn't have failed in it, but most question/issues on the forum are failed lift pumps. And when you look at it and see the tiny space they have fit the pump motor in it is not hard to guess why. Not very robust at all!

554 Posts
Another thought....the stock lift pump you show in your second post is not cheap....and finding one on Ebay/wrecking yard will not be easy. So, if you have to replace a pump, consider the aftermarket FASS pump. A VERY robust part with better filtering that stock by a long shot. They are about $780 plus installation...look at the threads on here related to lift pumps and FASS.

11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thought....the stock lift pump you show in your second post is not cheap....and finding one on Ebay/wrecking yard will not be easy. So, if you have to replace a pump, consider the aftermarket FASS pump. A VERY robust part with better filtering that stock by a long shot. They are about $780 plus installation...look at the threads on here related to lift pumps and FASS.
The dealer said that the lift pump is seeping/leaking and needed to be replaced. The filters are due for a change in about 1000 miles so I haven’t messed with it. I was reading some posts on here yesterday about possible o-ring and fitment issues. So hopefully you are correct and it’s something easy like that and the dealer just wasn’t knowledgeable. I will definitely look into the higher quality FASS parts. Thank you. I am looking for a quality diesel mechanic locally for a second opinion. If it is going bad I will def updgrade.

310 Posts
I’m planning on taking my whole unit down and seeing where it’s leaking from. Mine appears to be on top somewhere which seems to be a common issue. Someone said it maybe cracked. I’m going to attempt to repair the crack.

310 Posts
Keep me posted on how hard it is to remove please.
So someone on the Facebook page just posted about fixing it. There’s an O-ring that goes bad and leaks on the top. He stated that it isn’t hard to take down and pull apart. He went ahead and replaced all the O-rings on it. (Idk how many but it looked like 6 in the picture.) He bought a simple O-ring kit from Napa. Another guy commented and found that he has the same issue. So it appears the fix is very cheap, if you do it yourself.. I will share my experience once I actually get to it. (It’s to cold)

9 Posts
Does anyone know what O-ring kit the guy on Facebook specifically purchased or is there a link to that Facebook post? I thought I was leaking at the fuel filter O-ring but it's coming from above like what you guys are experiencing.

Which makes me think it's been doing it for a while as I often hear my lift pump and it sounds like air escaping. I asked the dealer about it twice and they said it was normal. Wish I had money for a FASS right now.

310 Posts
Does anyone know what O-ring kit the guy on Facebook specifically purchased or is there a link to that Facebook post? I thought I was leaking at the fuel filter O-ring but it's coming from above like what you guys are experiencing.

Which makes me think it's been doing it for a while as I often hear my lift pump and it sounds like air escaping. I asked the dealer about it twice and they said it was normal. Wish I had money for a FASS right now.
It appears to be an 1in or smaller o-ring. The kit has a whole bunch of different sizes.

2 Posts
After a recent fuel filter/s change (10th time over the past 70K miles) on my 2017 Titan XD. My stage #1 pump started to prime and then quit mid-cycle before clearing the low fuel pressure warning. I tried several times to prime but no sound the pump was running, so I decided to drop the filter assembly. Where I found absolutely nothing wrong, so I reinstalled the filter and tried once again to prime the fuel system, with no luck. I then check and found the 20 AMP fuel pump fuse had blown. At this point, I disconnected the 12VDC power supply to the lift pump, replaced the 20 AMP fuse and tried to prime the system once again. This was done as a means of confirming if it was either the pump itself and/or a fault somewhere else. The fuse was found intact, so I re-energized the lift pump power supply, started the prime cycle and it immediately took out the fuse. It was at this point, I found myself having to order and wait nearly a week for the delivery on new $850 stage #1 lift pump.

Being the pump was shot and a new one had been ordered. I decided to tear down the pump assembly and see if could determine what might have caused the failure. As soon as I removed the (2) screws holding the housing around the internal pump and pulled the housing off. I found the cause of the failure and most likely the same cause involving most, if not all of the lift pump failures I've read online. The lower 10% of the pump's metal outer casing was covered in heavy surface rust. I'm quite certain this rust was pull up into the pump's suction inlet and caused it to bind up under load.

Here’s the issue I have with Nissan. This part is only warranty through 50K miles and/or 60 months and their service recommendations state to change/drain the water/fuel separator every 10K miles or 12 months. I personally drain and changed this filter assembly every 7K miles, or roughly twice a year on my truck and the pump still failed. I’m not sure what good a filter does in stopping debris from damaging the pump? When the pump casting is rusting out downstream of the filter and subjecting the pump’s internal moving parts to chunk of rust debris. Nissan needs to lower their recommendations on draining of water/fuel the separator and extending the warranty on the subpar pumps rusting out under their manufacture guidelines.

Attached is a picture of the stage #1 internal pump and you can clearly see the residual marking on the body of the pump near the suction inlet, even after I removed a good portion of the rust with a rag.
Cylinder Lamp Office supplies Metal Titanium

1 - 15 of 15 Posts