Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

5.6 gas or 5.0 diesel for farm work truck?

• Diesel

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Gas

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to move on from a 2010 f-150 with the 5.4. Lot of threads detailing the problems with the 5.0 cummins. Don't want to go from one engine prone to issues to another. I'm a farmer so I'm intimately acquainted with diesels but almost entirely in large equipment or trucks. Have always stuck with gasoline on the automotive side of things. Have used def on 2 engines. The first is a sprayer and it just works. The second was a truck with a detroit. On the first 5 hr trip the whole def filter system died. Had 580,xxx miles though. 4 digits to tow and dealer wanted 5 digits to replace so the def disappeared. Just for some background.

It looks to me like the egr system is prone to coolant leaks so all that would be going down the road if I purchased one. I'm reading that the engine thermostat could be changed also. Anything else to be concerned about? Tunes still available? 2016s ok or stick with 2017-19? It will mostly be used unloaded. Some trailer towing and some heavier things(10k+) a couple times a year. I've been interested in the XD concept since they came out but haven't been shopping until now. Diesel worth it or go with the 5.6 gasser? Ford has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for DOHC V8s but I'm open to some opinions. I'm 2 hours from a Nissan dealer which is about twice the distance of other dealers.

·
1,027 Posts
Dont get me wrong, I loved my 5.6 titan, but this diesel blows it out the water. I so far, havent had a single issue with anything on this truck... although I am only at 14k miles, but it's been used and used hard, I dont shy from towing over 12k. I will be deleting emissions later they just havent given me an issue yet so i dont see the point in spending mo eyes on that right now. As for the issues you've seen, I think the cranks breaking are just random. BUT, Nissan's arent the only brand snapping cranks, so yeah. Me personally, I'd stay away from 2016s but if you find one get a report on it to see what all had happened to it if anything

·
49 Posts
I really like my 17 pro 4x XD 5.0 I haven't had any issues. I only have 20000 miles on it and its deleted.

·
27 Posts
I have a 2019 Diesel Pro4x and haven't had any problems, or some of the weird stuff the 2016 and 17s had. Like hesitation or shifting issues. Maybe everything was ironed out by the 19s. I tow quite a bit so I love the diesel. But, if I only towed 2 to 3 times a year with heavy weight I would get the gas. I don't know much about working on a farm but if you are constantly turning the truck on and off and making super short trips all the time I would say stick with the gas. Just for reference, I looked at two identical trucks in the same Pro4x trim except one was a diesel and one was gas. Payload sticker on my diesel is 1653lbs, the gas was 2025lbs. Hope this helps.

·
2 Posts
Looking to move on from a 2010 f-150 with the 5.4. Lot of threads detailing the problems with the 5.0 cummins. Don't want to go from one engine prone to issues to another. I'm a farmer so I'm intimately acquainted with diesels but almost entirely in large equipment or trucks. Have always stuck with gasoline on the automotive side of things. Have used def on 2 engines. The first is a sprayer and it just works. The second was a truck with a detroit. On the first 5 hr trip the whole def filter system died. Had 580,xxx miles though. 4 digits to tow and dealer wanted 5 digits to replace so the def disappeared. Just for some background.

It looks to me like the egr system is prone to coolant leaks so all that would be going down the road if I purchased one. I'm reading that the engine thermostat could be changed also. Anything else to be concerned about? Tunes still available? 2016s ok or stick with 2017-19? It will mostly be used unloaded. Some trailer towing and some heavier things(10k+) a couple times a year. I've been interested in the XD concept since they came out but haven't been shopping until now. Diesel worth it or go with the 5.6 gasser? Ford has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for DOHC V8s but I'm open to some opinions. I'm 2 hours from a Nissan dealer which is about twice the distance of other dealers.
I have 2018 Diesel XD SL. 52000. Not a single problem in upstate NY. Never really tow. Mostly highway miles. But can be very cold. I do all regular maintenance myself.

·
523 Posts
2016 Pro4X no issues until recently at 68000. Locally not a whole lot sold here so when she broke three dealerships gave reasons I would have to wait at least a week before they could look at it. Last oil change the local dealer was out of oil filters. So far a week for the replacement EGR cooler and into week two waiting on a backordered coolant sensor. All things considered I would not buy any modern diesel unless I lived where I could delete. Smog and sensors are just too much add it the Nissan possible issues getting service and parts. Yes the law says they must provide but how well and how fast?

·
118 Posts
2018 5.0 SV with 45,000 miles now. As time goes by and Nissan loses any maintenance capability, I'll start getting worried, but for now mine is completely reliable.

·
11 Posts
I have a 2017 XD pro4X cummins with 48,000 miles. AC driver side actuator went out. That is all the issues. My 5th wheel is between 13K and 14K all the time. No motor modifications I have air bags and amsoil severe gear oil in the diffs and the Titan 50gal fuel tank. My tow miles are at 25000 so far. Other than 5% or 7% grades on occasion I can stay around 10mpg, which I think is amazing since my truck with tools, generators and 5th wheel iron is very heavy.

So here is the deal, if you don't tow don't buy the diesel or a diesel. All diesels last if they are worked but between regeneration activity, high repair cost if necessary etc you may not need one. Internet only presents small and slanted personal views of an item. Talk to owners around you who work their truck not grocery getters going into regen everyday and then complaining about egr failure or turbo issues. If you must have a HD truck and don't need a diesel look at the new GM 6.6 gas for 2020. Just my humble opinion from me a trucker Owner operator of 42 years.

·
254 Posts
'16 diesel, stock with 24k miles. 90% of my miles are either towing or hauling so the diesel is a perfect fit for us. I have no doubt the gas could tow/haul to meet my needs but I don't miss those high rpm's gas models have going over mountain passes. And, as we ease into retirement in the next few years, we wanted the longevity the Cummins will give us.

BTW, our temps have been dropping overnight to -5 lately and as a test I've been skipping plugging in the block heater. No problems what-so-ever (knock on wood). She fires right up.

God bless whomever invented the steering wheel heater!!! :)

·
84 Posts
Nissan hung us diesel owners out to dry. They dropped the diesel. Cummins ceased production of that motor. What are we going to do when we need replacement engine parts? Nissan is not going to keep a crew of trained diesel technicians around if they don't sell diesels. I feel screwed by Nissan. Will never buy another.
p.s. my 2016 has had no problems and runs like a champ. Tows my camper with ease.
Nissan non existent marketing screwed the pooch on this one. Sales could have been good if they had used proper market positioning.

·
550 Posts
What happened when EGR failed? Codes or coolant in oil?
It will consume coolant. It doesn't leak into the oil - just to the intake. It gets burned and expelled through the exhaust system. Mine threw codes but it was because some sensor in the coolant bottle failed as well.

To the OP, I think that mostly the problems with the Titan are minor. The problem is that they are also numerous. Mine just went into the dealer yesterday with possibly its second EGR failure, wind noise (TSB for weather stripping), poor shifting (TSB for transmission program), and some strange moaning sound coming from the engine when it's cold (also a TSB for this one).

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies so far. Reading through my original post I notice that I could have clarified its use a little better.

I have several old pickups for day to day here to there short haul driving. By unloaded I mean it will be used for the longer distance travel sort of things. I pull large things/car trailer 20-25 times a year and as I said before 10k ish twice a year or so.

The ford 5.4 has timing chain and cam phaser issues and from what I read the 5.6 has some of the same issues with the timing chains and the fuel pump. I'm looking at keeping my next truck longer and was hoping a diesel powerplant would be the way to go.

As far as parts and service I'm not worried about cummins. Parts will be available. In 50 years? Maybe not. I'm capable enough to fix what breaks. I don't particularly want to fix anything which is why I'm moving away from the 5.4 and exploring the Nissan option.

The steering wheel heater is one reason I've been jealous of my buddies RAM. More important than heated seats I think.

·
66 Posts
Nissan hung us diesel owners out to dry. They dropped the diesel. Cummins ceased production of that motor. What are we going to do when we need replacement engine parts? Nissan is not going to keep a crew of trained diesel technicians around if they don't sell diesels. I feel screwed by Nissan. Will never buy another.
p.s. my 2016 has had no problems and runs like a champ. Tows my camper with ease.
Nissan non existent marketing screwed the pooch on this one. Sales could have been good if they had used proper market positioning.
Wrong. Nissan didn't screw you...Cummins did.

·
75 Posts
Get it and delete it....If it’s on a farm or rural area it’s a likelihood that you don’t have emissions. 90% of diesel issues are emissions related. It sounds like you answered your own questions through your research.

·
12 Posts

Ford f250 or f350 with pushrod v8 7.3 gas Godzilla engine is the one to look at. Would be best for your needs. You'll get over 300-500k no matter what you throw at it for sure before tearing into it. And if/when that time comes it's much more simple to work on than any diesel.

·
2 Posts

2017 5.0 Cummins. 96,000. Tow 25% time. Long drives. Chicago to Nashville, Chicago to MN towing 8k. No issues until this week. Lost an injector. Was covered by warranty but Nissan would only replace the 1 bad injector. I was pushing for all to be replaced. Turbo was gone through and mechanic says looked good. Frustrated the lost an injector before 100k.

·
3 Posts
I have a 2016 Cummins with about 60k miles mostly towing my 10k lb. travel trailer. I have had no issues and it tows the trailer very well. I have air bags on the back for that added stability. My wife has given me the go ahead to delete because she hates having to make an extra stop for DEF when I forget to throw the extra jug in the back. Only complaints I have about my truck would be a bigger fuel tank and DEF reservoir would be nice.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts