Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

5.6 gas or 5.0 diesel for farm work truck?

• Diesel

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Gas

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
4 Posts
I dont see how yall are complaining about def. I forget I even have to put the shit I do it so rarely. I go around 2500 miles before having to add any
It just depends on the load you are pulling. When I’m not pulling my trailer it lasts for a long time about 3000 miles. But when I’m pulling my It eats it up quick and has to be filled every 500-1000 miles depending on how many mountains I have to go over.

·
Read Only
198 Posts
Dont get me wrong, I loved my 5.6 titan, but this diesel blows it out the water. I so far, havent had a single issue with anything on this truck... although I am only at 14k miles, but it's been used and used hard, I dont shy from towing over 12k. I will be deleting emissions later they just havent given me an issue yet so i dont see the point in spending mo eyes on that right now. As for the issues you've seen, I think the cranks breaking are just random. BUT, Nissan's arent the only brand snapping cranks, so yeah. Me personally, I'd stay away from 2016s but if you find one get a report on it to see what all had happened to it if anything
87000 on my early 16 build 100% problem free. Deleted about 3000 ago should have done it sooner

·
15 Posts
2018 SL Midnight with the cummins. Just rolled 10k miles on it. I rarely tow, but I usually have quite a bit in the bed. so far it has been no issues and "Nissan" has been great, but the dealership I go to paid a Ram diesel tech to come over in 2016 when Nissan got a cummins. The guy knows his stuff forward and backwards and I just drop by when I need an oil change (I change mine every 5k, period. I'm neurotic) or anything else and he takes me right away.

I know its rare for me, but these guys love my truck and we always get to talking and Bs'ing. A quality dealership really makes all the difference with this truck IMO. My only thing was the belt was pretty loud and they changed it for me no questions asked. 5k miles later and the noise hasn't come back, so it wasn't an issue. However, these things do make some serious noise compared to a gas engine and I've noticed a lot of people who know nothing about diesels tend to be the loudest when complaining about them.

just my 2 cents

·
20 Posts
I have to agree with Maluther about the dealers... I have a 2016 SL 2x4 diesel and I love it, 40K and knock on wood no issues. The truck has been good to me and I have been good to it, all stock and not deleted. I have read many other forms about issues on this truck and it seems like a lot but it will with low sale numbers. I run 15w-40 in my truck and that is dully because I worked for a construction and paving company for a long time and that is what we used, all I can say is the fleet trucks took some abuse and seemed to run forever with no engine problems also I service mine like it should along with maintaining levels because a diesel will use a little oil between changes and if it's not you have issues and keep eyes on turbo seal because if you see black around it then you have issues, keep the filters clean, stay away from the Biodiesel fuel crap and she will run good.

I took a chance with this truck and it doesn't get the respect it should but if it's your truck and you make the payment and happy then screw the nay Sayers out there... I like all trucks now days also because they pretty much look real nice and no matter what the others believe mostly all the vehicles on the road today are made with 90% Chinese plastic in them and other parts related to the manufacturing of them. Now days I get the pleasure of maintaining 12 fleet trucks and they are all F-250 XLT's 4x4's between 2013 to 2018 models and I can't keep front ends in them, it's just a bad design so all trucks have issues the question is can you live with them? Take care and good luck with your journey.

Mik

·
24 Posts
Nissan hung us diesel owners out to dry. They dropped the diesel. Cummins ceased production of that motor. What are we going to do when we need replacement engine parts? Nissan is not going to keep a crew of trained diesel technicians around if they don't sell diesels. I feel screwed by Nissan. Will never buy another.
p.s. my 2016 has had no problems and runs like a champ. Tows my camper with ease.
Nissan non existent marketing screwed the pooch on this one. Sales could have been good if they had used proper market positioning.
My dealer (Hendricks) gave my a lifetime power/tan warranty on my 2018. They told me there will be no issues with Cummins and getting replacement parts or work done. I haven’t had any issues yet with 20k miles.

·
15 Posts
My dealer (Hendricks) gave my a lifetime power/tan warranty on my 2018. They told me there will be no issues with Cummins and getting replacement parts or work done. I haven’t had any issues yet with 20k miles.
I don't have a lifetime, but 5 years/100k miles will get me to the end of ym payments. My dealer also stated they don't have issues with parts and both times I've had my oil changed/fuel filters replaced they've had everything in stock. When they replaced the belt bc I felt like it was too loud it literally took 2 days and it was in.

·
89 Posts
I am not a diesel mechanic so I have no idea what parts might need replaced in the future. There would be a greater comfort level for me knowing that if something does break on the engine that there will be parts and a diesel tech available.
I love my truck. It does everything better than the half ton Tundra that I had.

·
15 Posts
I am not a diesel mechanic so I have no idea what parts might need replaced in the future. There would be a greater comfort level for me knowing that if something does break on the engine that there will be parts and a diesel tech available.
I love my truck. It does everything better than the half ton Tundra that I had.
By law the truck has to be supported for 10 years. So till 2029 parts, by law, must be available and they cannot be for more than the original prices, so no price gouging or anything.

I'd say if the truck lasts me, at that point, 12 years....I'm good.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ford f250 or f350 with pushrod v8 7.3 gas Godzilla engine is the one to look at. Would be best for your needs. You'll get over 300-500k no matter what you throw at it for sure before tearing into it. And if/when that time comes it's much more simple to work on than any diesel.
Reason I'm not looking at 3/4 or 1 ton trucks is the ride quality. I live on a gravel road with lots of semi truck traffic. It is full of washboards and holes. If I need to pull anything that would require a 1 ton I have a semi with a hitch. Made for pulling and doing it safley.

Test drove a 2017 gas yesterday. Really liked the ride and the truck. Found out they didn't really want my Ford. Has a couple dents and the bed is beat up from picking rocks. Their price was just a bit above what I wanted to pay. Looking at buying a diesel outright or trading my Ford on a gas. For the trade allowance I could just as well bestow the title of farm truck on it ha. Figure it might be useful to have it in tandem with a diesel Titan. Wouldn't make sense to keep it with a gas Titan though.

How well do gooseneck trailers work with the 5'6" beds? Most have the 6'6" bed but there is one crew cab with a short bed that I'm looking at.

·
198 Posts
How well do gooseneck trailers work with the 5'6" beds? Most have the 6'6" bed but there is one crew cab with a short bed that I'm looking at.
Don't all Titan XD's crew cabs have 6'6" beds? Mine does. I've seen the 5'6" beds on non-XD models.

Reactions: zjbowman

·
1,507 Posts
Reason I'm not looking at 3/4 or 1 ton trucks is the ride quality. I live on a gravel road with lots of semi truck traffic. It is full of washboards and holes. If I need to pull anything that would require a 1 ton I have a semi with a hitch. Made for pulling and doing it safley.

Test drove a 2017 gas yesterday. Really liked the ride and the truck. Found out they didn't really want my Ford. Has a couple dents and the bed is beat up from picking rocks. Their price was just a bit above what I wanted to pay. Looking at buying a diesel outright or trading my Ford on a gas. For the trade allowance I could just as well bestow the title of farm truck on it ha. Figure it might be useful to have it in tandem with a diesel Titan. Wouldn't make sense to keep it with a gas Titan though.

Theres no such thing as a 5'6" bed on a titan xd.... only 6'6"

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Don't all Titan XD's crew cabs have 6'6" beds? Mine does. I've seen the 5'6" beds on non-XD models.
Could be the dealer has the specs wrong but from the pictures it looks like the bed is quite a bit shorter in front of the rear wheel. I suppose it would only matter if it was a camper or enclosed trailer where there is a lot of width above the hitch.

·
198 Posts
Yep that's a standard Titan.

·
599 Posts
Just be where you're buying into a discontinued low production vehicle parts are going to eventually be a real problem service at the dealerships is already disappearing so hope it's a hobby

·
78 Posts
Looking to move on from a 2010 f-150 with the 5.4. Lot of threads detailing the problems with the 5.0 cummins. Don't want to go from one engine prone to issues to another. I'm a farmer so I'm intimately acquainted with diesels but almost entirely in large equipment or trucks. Have always stuck with gasoline on the automotive side of things. Have used def on 2 engines. The first is a sprayer and it just works. The second was a truck with a detroit. On the first 5 hr trip the whole def filter system died. Had 580,xxx miles though. 4 digits to tow and dealer wanted 5 digits to replace so the def disappeared. Just for some background.

It looks to me like the egr system is prone to coolant leaks so all that would be going down the road if I purchased one. I'm reading that the engine thermostat could be changed also. Anything else to be concerned about? Tunes still available? 2016s ok or stick with 2017-19? It will mostly be used unloaded. Some trailer towing and some heavier things(10k+) a couple times a year. I've been interested in the XD concept since they came out but haven't been shopping until now. Diesel worth it or go with the 5.6 gasser? Ford has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for DOHC V8s but I'm open to some opinions. I'm 2 hours from a Nissan dealer which is about twice the distance of other dealers.
I have 95,000 miles on my 2016 Diesel. Bought it new when they first came out. Sure, I had a few issues like most new model year vehicles had. My EGR cooler did go bad but it was under warranty. Have loved this truck. It was my daily driver and only car (hence the high miles I've put on it). I recently picked up a second car (540 HP all-wheel drive 2-seater convertible) and I tell you, I drove the truck for the first time in a few weeks and I swear it feels like it has as much acceleration on the highway as my fun car. I forgot how fast it can go from 70-95 mph you floor it. Doesn't brake as well or handle the G's though, lol.

·
3 Posts
2016 Platinum Reserve manufactured in the fall of 2016. The original title was issued in December 2016 and was a company lease vehicle. I bought it in May of 2018 with 12,000 miles on it. Researched all service work performed prior to my purchase and the only things that were done were oil change and ECM updates. Mechanically, no problems here. I have 25,000 miles on it so far. I tow a 10,000 lb trailer a few times a year and a 3,000 lb. construction trailer pretty much every work day (weight varies depending on the items hauled for each job). Here are the Problems I have experienced: 1. Leak in the Schrader valve on the A/C low pressure line, which leaked 100% of refrigerant out of system. Dealer could not get the valve stem out of the valve and replaced the entire low pressure line under warranty. No problems since repair was made. 2. Center chrome section on running boards were discolored to a "bronze" instead of chrome finish. Chrome polish would restore the shiny chrome look, but in time bronze hue would return. Nissan agreed to replace both running boards outside of warranty (which is only 1 year for cosmetic items) as a customer service gesture. 3. Front leather seat cover (back) showed signs of slight cracking developing on one side. Nissan agreed to replace both running boards outside of warranty (which is only 1 year for cosmetic items) as a customer service gesture. 4. Initially, it seemed as though my truck was using quite a bit of DEF (went through approx 5 gallons in a 1,250 mile trip). I decided to start using a Hot Shot's Secret product called "Everyday Diesel Treatment" at each fuel fill; problem solved. Whatever is in that product appears to make the fuel burn cleaner and I have only filled the DEF tank twice in the last 8,500 miles. 5. In August 2019, I noticed while starting the engine at cooler temps (45-50 degrees F), I could not start driving immediately without the engine hesitating and sputtering a bit when I would accelerate. This would happen until the engine reached normal operating temperature. So I fed it the "treatment dose" of Hot Shot's Secret "Diesel Extreme" for around 10-30 miles after which I returned home and parked it. The next morning, it was 40 degrees F outside. I started the truck and drove away immediately. The hesitation and sputter was completely gone. I also noticed that during and after treatment, my fuel economy had improved 3-4 MPG. Problem solved. I do not work for Hot Shot's Secret. I do not have any interest in their company. I have not been asked to promote their products. But in my experience, they make tested and effective products that work as advertised. And while their products will obviously do nothing to fix actual mechanical problems of the 5.0 Cummins, they do help keep the engine running much cleaner and more efficiently. As an owner of a 2006 Ford F350 with the 6.0 Powerstroke, I have experienced firsthand the effectiveness of Hot Shot's Secret's "Stiction Eliminator"; it's the first product I ever bought from them. Multiple dealerships told me me I needed new injectors; even ones that had been replaced only 6 months prior. Stiction Eliminator (added to the engine oil in the recommended dosage) cleaned up the injectors within 500 miles. The codes disappeared and never returned, and that engine has been running flawlessly ever since. So outside of actual mechanical part failure, my take away with diesel engines has been to keep the engine oil clean (I will soon be adding a Franze bypass oil filtration system to my XD) and treat your diesel fuel with a tested and effective additive to help the fuel burn cleaner and more efficiently. 6. Quite cold here in MN yesterday (-10 degrees F) and the 5.0 would turn over fine but would not start. Evidently my truck did not come with a block heater installed from the factory (which was a bit surprising considering the origin location of the truck had been New York.) I use Hot Shot's Secret's "Diesel Winter Anti-Gel" which protects the fuel from gelling down to -40 degrees F, so I was fairly certain that fuel gelling was not the problem. Boosted the batteries with an additional 600 CCA battery to provide extra current to start but it still wouldn't start. Some other threads suggested that making sure the engine could turn over quickly may help as increased RPM would assist in better compression and combustion of the diesel fuel. I had no available source for a booster battery with a higher CCA rating, so I left the truck in the driveway and drove the car (gasser). This morning is was 10 degrees F and the engine started (albeit with some hesitation) and came to a proper idle withing 10-15 seconds. The batteries installed are the originals, so just over 3 years old, give or take. I have not yet removed them to check fluid and charge levels but plan to do that in the next couple days. I will top them up and give them a full charge, and then see how she does on the next sub-zero morning. I will update if this seems to have corrected the cold start issue. As for everything else, I absolutely love this truck. The body design is gorgeous and I get comments from people everywhere I take it. It just looks like a BEAST; like it OWNS the road. And it sports the most comfortable seats of any truck I have ever owned. It's very quiet (at least compared to the 6.0 Powerstroke, LOL) and has a smooth and very comfortable ride. And I really enjoy the conveniences afforded by the Platinum Reserve trim package. However, I am not thrilled that Nissan decided to forego a 5.0 diesel option for 2020 and that they are changing the body style to like more like the ubiquitous F150; similar move made by Honda in 2008 to their Accord line of sedans. In '08, they decided to "chrome out" the exterior and interior (just like a Ford Fusion). I opted for the 2007 model because it looked far better than the '08; simply no comparison. Nissan has erred big time in not giving the current Titan XD more time to penetrate the marketplace, and that is truly a sad thing. Given the time to work out the bugs in the truck and engine, I beleive the XD would have proven to be a major contender in the mid-weight truck category. But alas, another great product and idea tossed aside over by those in "high places" who have completely misinterpreted the pulse of the American truck marketplace. I will enjoy the truck for as long as she runs; hopefully for a long time. After that, I guess I'll just have to see what shows up in the market to replace to her with. Best of luck with your decision.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts