Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
159 Posts
Faster and towing should never be two words in same sentence. Idc what the posted speed is, you should never tow anything bvb heavy over 70, it's just outright careless. And I will gladly hook 14k to the back of both our trucks and prove my point to you
I agree, I don't tow heavy over 65, but I thought the gasser is faster up hill towing.

·
1,148 Posts
I agree, I don't tow heavy over 65, but I thought the gasser is faster up hill towing.
Idk, I dont tow like that. Going up steep grades I dont try to haul ass, I want something that's gonna hold speed while not flat footing it. I've been towing with a gas burner for 15 years, now have a diesel, I'll take the diesel over the gasser any day of the week. It's just such a much more pleasurable experience

·
426 Posts
Hp doesnt mean shit when it comes to diesel bud. The 555 lb ft of torque compared to your 400 is the difference. The gasser in no way will tow better than a diesel
Well bud, I've owned both trucks now and out of the two, I'll keep the gasser (for towing and overall reliability). The gasser will do anything I need it for and then some. In fact, I was amazingly surprised by how well it tows.

·
426 Posts
Idk, I dont tow like that. Going up steep grades I dont try to haul ass, I want something that's gonna hold speed while not flat footing it. I've been towing with a gas burner for 15 years, now have a diesel, I'll take the diesel over the gasser any day of the week. It's just such a much more pleasurable experience
When it comes to towing on flat roads, I have no issue towing at 75-80 when towing <9000 lbs with the XD (most don't consider that "heavy"). Any heavier, and I won't go over 70. When going up the steep AZ mountain passes, I let the engine settle into the powerband and do its thing. It ain't a race. Let the truck work like it needs to work and keep the RPMs in the sweet spot. Whatever speed that ends up being is what it is. That goes for the Cummins or the V8 gasser.

·
22 Posts
Bought my 2018 XD last year. Have not heard about this engine knock issue. Can you tell me more? (doing search on this forum as well).
It was a manufacturing issue. Cylinder 7 and sometimes 5 would knock. They corrected it by 18 I think and all replacement engines are fine. That's my tldr for the following thread. If you buy one and it has the issue they will replace it then you will be good to go.
Here is a long thread if you have some reading time. The Engine Knock Thread

·
2018 XD Pro4x Gas
39 Posts
Towing 9k 75+....yikes. I’m not exactly squeamish but I wouldn’t do it with that much weight. Not sure I would do it with half that.
For me it’s the stopping with all that load...even in perfect conditions.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts