Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

Looking into getting 2016 XD platinum reserve

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Hoofer 
#1 ·
What should I be on the look out for when looking at this truck? Also what kind of issues is this truck known for?

#2 ·
You need to specify if it's gas or diesel to get meaningful answers.

#5 ·
Issues it’s known for
really comes down to one thing for me low sales volume and discontinued diesel
What to look for
If you want a XD get the gas or you want a diesel get a 3/4-1Ton from the big 3 at least they are still making them. Walk away from any 2016-2019 XD diesel.

I had a fully loaded 2016 Pro4X diesel I did love the truck but I out grew the 1500lbs payload so I moved to a 1Ton so I don’t have to worry about payload. The XD never gave me any problems. It did everything I asked of it. I might still have the XD if Nissan had went all the way and gave the XD 8 lug axles and a 10K GVW. That would have given me at least a 2500lbs payload. But unlike their NV vans that do have 8 lugs the XD only got 6 lugs and 9K GVW I’m not sure what the GVW of the NV2500.

#6 · (Edited)
I wouldn't walk away from a 17-19 XD Diesel. They fit the need of many, including myself. Its not a 3/4 ton truck so I don't understand why everyone says get a true 3/4 ton truck. It's technically just a really good heavy duty 1/2 ton that Nissan marketed as a 5/8 ton truck. I didn't need a true 3/4 ton pickup, and all the 1500 trucks I drove I really wasn't impressed.

My XD Diesel has been towing my 9000+lb travel trailer in and around Colorado flawlessly which is really what all I was wanting. There is a video of TFL truck on YouTube where they compare the Titan XD Diesel vs a F150 Ecoboost up I70, which they call the Ike Gauntlet. The F150 is much faster during the tow test but the Titan XD won their vote due to towing manners and I would have to agree. This thing tows like a dream, even with my lift. So If you need something to tow very heavy buy a 3/4 ton truck. If you want a truck in the 1/2 ton class that tows like a champ, definitely look at the Nissan XD Diesel. The gas version is probably a good buy too but at my elevation I am pretty sure it would be screaming up the mountains, which I don't care for.

Just get one that has a 5 year 100k warranty so that any issue that could arise will be covered. Also if you buy from CarMax like I did, their extended warranties on top of the factory warranty was pretty cheap. This was the 6th CarMax car my wife and I have purchased over the years and the extended warranty process was always simple and nothing was ever denied.

#7 ·
I wouldn't walk away from a 17-19 XD Diesel. They fit the need of many, including myself. It's not a 3/4 ton truck so I don't understand why everyone says get a true 3/4 ton truck. It's technically just a really good heavy duty 1/2 ton that Nissan marketed as a 5/8 ton truck. I didn't need a true 3/4 ton pickup, and all the 1500 trucks I drove I really wasn't impressed.

My XD Diesel has been towing by 9000+lb travel trailer in and around Colorado flawlessly which is really what all I was wanting. There is a video of TFL truck on YouTube where they compare the Titan XD Diesel vs a F150 Ecoboost up I70, which they call the Ike Gauntlet. The F150 is much faster during the tow test but the Titan XD won their vote due to towing manners and I would have to agree. This thing tows like a dream, even with my lift.

Just get one that has a 5 year 100k warranty so that any issue that could arise will be covered. Also if you buy from CarMax like I did, their extended warranties on top of the factory warranty was pretty cheap. This was the 6th CarMax car my wife and I have purchased over the years and the extended warranty process was always simple and nothing was ever denied.
Finally! Someone that understsnds!

#8 ·
I have that exact same XD and would buy it again. It's that great of a vehicle. I'm not worried at all about the discontinued engine and have full confidence both Nissan and Cummins will support it through the life of my XD. I average 12 years on my vehicles and fully expect to have my XD much longer.

The comment above by someone who didn't like the payload and 6-lugs and jumped to a 1-ton tells me that person did some pretty crappy research before buying his XD. Because needing 1-ton payload and then buying a 1/2 ton is a bad decision. It's not the truck's fault.

I haul my 8k lb camper up and down Alaskan mountain passes all summer and it never blinks. The diesel purrs up and down those passes. The comfort factor is exceptional. And we (and our neighbors) love how quiet it is and how there's no diesel stench. 2 of my friends sold their big-3 3/4 ton diesels and picked up an XD diesel after giving mine a try and a 3rd is in the process of doing that same.

If you don't need a full 3/4 ton truck, you're going to love that XD.

#9 ·
I haul my 8k lb camper up and down Alaskan mountain passes all summer and it never blinks. The diesel purrs up and down those passes. The comfort factor is exceptional. And we (and our neighbors) love how quiet it is and how there's no diesel stench. 2 of my friends sold their big-3 3/4 ton diesels and picked up an XD diesel after giving mine a try and a 3rd is in the process of doing that same.

If you don't need a full 3/4 ton truck, you're going to love that XD.
Were these people coming from older 3/4 ton diesel trucks? The new 3/4 tons easily match the XD in steering, handling, ride quality, and maneuverability.

#20 ·
What should I be on the look out for when looking at this truck? Also what kind of issues is this truck known for?
Along these lines lol.

So clearly there’s things to look out for, especially in 2016. In fact I think several of the Diesel owners mentioned they would avoid that year. But it’s still like any other truck. There’s plenty of people that haven’t had any problems and there’s people that have had MAJOR problems. I would definitely have it checked out by a professional. But I have to agree that if the warranty isn’t there it’s probably not a great buy.

#21 ·
I own a 2016 Platinum Reserve 4x4 Cummins. I bought it used in at the beginning of 2017 with 11000 miles. Now I'll be honest it has had a few problems mainly the HVAC issue where the AC would turn warm for no apparent reason but it was fixed by the dealership and no problem since. Also, my driver side heated and cooled seat was replaced and it's still not the warmest seat warmer but I live in Houston so... Also, the truck did have the known dead pedal issue and transmission shifting problem but all that has been resolved with software updates. My Titan XD runs and drives great and I love how it tows my camper effortlessly and does everything I ask it to do and its comfortable and reliable. What people have to remember is that this truck was all new including it's new diesel drive train which was outsourced outside of Nissan with Cummins and Aisin. Nissan took a risk with this truck and I believe this heavy half ton truck was great in concept and in implementation. I think we can all agree that Nissan did have problems at first with the XD but what manufacturer doesn't with an all new vehicle, especially "The Big Three". Anyone that asks me about my truck I tell them it's a great truck and it runs and drives like a champ. Did I have problems with it? Yes, but it was the first year vehicle and everything was fixed under warranty and since then it has run flawlessly for two plus years other than regular maintenance. What more can you ask for? And yes this has been my 5th Nissan but I'd rather a vehicle that will last 10 plus years without it falling a part.

#22 ·
Long post - my experiences with GM trucks.

Hmmm.... speaking of GM products, 2014-2016 4WD, Silverado / Sierra (drove both of them for work trucks), had the transmissions replaced around 100k), radiator & condenser. Bad components and sloppy installation. Lost track of the recalls, the Sierra had spent so much time in the shop, the rental car guys knew me by name - knew what I wanted to rent. Silverado curiously had the exact same problems, bad radiator/condenser mounts, trans vent issue, hard shifting/torque converter - when that thing went out (both of them), there was a very loud "Cher-CHUNK" & lurch forward... after that, it would literally miss dropping into gear, engine revs up, and no-go..then another "Cer-chunk!" ... 2 weeks later, it had a new tranny, and "knock on wood". Gasser trucks that never really towed anything, easy driving, bought brand new, factory LEMONS.

I clock 50,000-70,000 miles a year in my work truck, and believe me, I / we follow ALL the maintenance schedules.
The company fleet had 1200 of these model years, over 100 of them never made it far without a replacement transmission. They were told, "Yeah, we know that transmission / torque converter is a bad unit, but we'll replace it with another unit and warranty it for another 100k - we got 250,000 of them on the shelf, gotta do something with them.." Literally "replace a bad (now broken) transmission with another bad transmission". Sort of a "Meh, we didn't build them to last - just by a new one, besides, they smell nice & the windshield is clean!"

You've heard the story of the 100k car/ light truck, over the years - yeah, that's GM, IMO.
I haven't even mentioned the electrical problems, again related to sloppy assembly.
Imagine cruising down the road, 55-65mph, you hit a crack in the road, bridge ramp, divit - and the dash goes BLANK, radio presets gone, engine momentarily stalls, and the ECU sort of reboots. Like magic, it all comes back to life, every light on the dash flashes momentarily, other than the radio presets gone, it's like nothing happened. I was told by the dealer, who had a Recall in his hand, "Yeah, you're fits this to a T, sudden reduction in engine power, etc... - we ordered a new wiring harness, AND the bracket on the transmission, that wasn't installed at the factory - how did the other dealer miss the bracket when they replaced the tranny..?" That Silverado has spent about 2.5 months in the the shop, finally at 160k... they got all the known problems fixed... another 40k left on the tranny for a truck which has never towed anything.

I'm stuck driving these GM vehicles, because they sell them as fleet vehicles at 1/2 the price the average fool pays.
Tried to talk the Fleet Manager into Toyota or Nissan - they don't give the same discounted price, "We'll drive them till 100K and then replace them - our data is showing them become too unreliable to hang on to, the maintenance costs skyrocket, we're better off turning them over after 100k." Since then, we got bought by another company - which would rather run-them-into-the-ground, paying BIG $$$ in repairs. I'm supposed to get a new truck... this fall, or next spring, the process will start all over again... a couple of recalls, fix this, replace that, get this tightened up, realignment, sigh... get another rental for a week.

I really like the Titan XD, Wifey LOVES it.. When I moderately depress the accelerator, it doesn't immediately downshift, scream like a redlining crotch rocket and slowly accelerate. The base model 2017 my wifey drives, is very comfortable, glides up and down the hills with ease, and can pull a stock trailer like it's all in a day's work - no problem, without screaming like it's redlining & fearing the engine is gonna blow. Nissan should have stuck with the Diesel longer, IMO, they had the perfect mix of a powerful, affordable, farm truck - if I could, I'd buy a 2nd one... for Surf Fishing the OBX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.