Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Truck details:
-2017 Titan XD Cummins 5.0, no modifications to powertrain, suspension etc. Not towing, and with nothing in the bed. 3000 miles at time of problem.

A few weeks ago while I was in the mountains of New Mexico, at around 7000 feet, I encountered a problem with my Titan XD. While climbing gravel roads up hills in 4WD or 2WD, at low speeds the truck would lose power. I could slowly roll in throttle all the way to floor, and the truck would not build above 1krpm or shift gears until leveling off at the crest of the hill. Hitting the hill at higher speed seemed to help, but accelerating from 5-10mph once climbing was impossible. Dealership says the truck software/firmware is all up to date, and lacking hills at altitude here in DFW or Midland, TX they can't replicate the issue.

So, has anyone seen something similar? Next month my wife and I are planning to take the truck on a long road trip, towing a small travel trailer, and will be encountering some hills (at lower altitudes, though). I am worried we may run into the same problem.

Thank you,

Jonathan

·
324 Posts
I took my travel trailer up some 8-10% grades in Utah up to just over 10000 feet with no issues. My TT is smaller. Winnebago Micro Minnie 1706FB GVRW of 5500 lbs and I might be loaded around 4000 lbs. I would say there is something going on causing your issue. Did you happen to notice the trans temp when the issue occurred?

·
769 Posts
Hello,

Truck details:

-2017 Titan XD Cummins 5.0, no modifications to powertrain, suspension etc. Not towing, and with nothing in the bed. 3000 miles at time of problem.

A few weeks ago while I was in the mountains of New Mexico, at around 7000 feet, I encountered a problem with my Titan XD. While climbing gravel roads up hills in 4WD or 2WD, at low speeds the truck would lose power. I could slowly roll in throttle all the way to floor, and the truck would not build above 1krpm or shift gears until leveling off at the crest of the hill. Hitting the hill at higher speed seemed to help, but accelerating from 5-10mph once climbing was impossible. Dealership says the truck software/firmware is all up to date, and lacking hills at altitude here in DFW or Midland, TX they can't replicate the issue.

So, has anyone seen something similar? Next month my wife and I are planning to take the truck on a long road trip, towing a small travel trailer, and will be encountering some hills (at lower altitudes, though). I am worried we may run into the same problem.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Dealers have access to a machine similar to a black box in a jet plane. They can attach it and will record all events till removed. I would ask for this device before your next trip. Then you can get it sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,979 Posts
Hello,

Truck details:

Thank you,

Jonathan

Dealers have access to a machine similar to a black box in a jet plane. They can attach it and will record all events till removed. I would ask for this device before your next trip. Then you can get it sorted out.

They won't break that out just because you ask .

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took my travel trailer up some 8-10% grades in Utah up to just over 10000 feet with no issues. My TT is smaller. Winnebago Micro Minnie 1706FB GVRW of 5500 lbs and I might be loaded around 4000 lbs. I would say there is something going on causing your issue. Did you happen to notice the trans temp when the issue occurred?
Trans temp was in the low range, but I can't recall exact level. Also, it was not in a regen mode. No lights or warnings popped up.
Our travel trailer weighs even less, at 2700 empty (Casita). Wife's '06 Tahoe handles it with ease.

·
227 Posts
You have something out of the ordinary going on for sure. I spent the whole month of June towing our 25', 7000 lb TT all over NV, ID, OR,CA, back to NV and then home to AZ. 4000 miles, altitudes to 8,000 ft and temp as high as 112. Not a single issue at all.

·
769 Posts
They won't break that out just because you ask .

He already presented with the issue. They can't replicate because of lack of conditions. He is going back to those conditions. Hense, they will do it.

·
629 Posts
Can't hurt to ask. Besides, if he has a good relationship with the dealership or the dealership is better than the usual, I wouldn't be surprised if they went along.

·
897 Posts
Was your traction control kicking on? Wonder if it would help to press the button to turn traction control off?

·
324 Posts
Trans temp was in the low range, but I can't recall exact level. Also, it was not in a regen mode. No lights or warnings popped up.
Our travel trailer weighs even less, at 2700 empty (Casita). Wife's '06 Tahoe handles it with ease.
Yeah then I do not know. I will second what was just said. If your TC was on when it happened and if it happens again try turning TC off and see if it helps. I have experienced on dirt while towing the TC being over aggressive and making the truck stand still while I have the pedal floored.

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, thanks for the input everybody.
Yes, my TC was on - I hope that is the culprit.
I will have a camera handy to record the issue if it happens again.

·
194 Posts
Finally got an appointment to take the truck in today. Hopefully we get some resolution. I had the same issue happen again yesterday on a forestry road. Truck was in 2wd and was losing power before making it to the top. Was only at 3500 feet this time and at least it didn't totally die, but it sure felt like it was going to stop before making it to the top.

Ever since I had the dead pedal tab done, my mileage has been **** and have had more issues with shifting / dead pedal. Betting the last ECM updated didn't take and the truck has been operating in some sort of "safe" mode. We will see.

Also having them check out what sounds like a bad bearing that happens every minute or so when idling as well as what sounds like a bad ball joint....really hoping ball joints don't become an issue on these trucks like the dodges!

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got an appointment to take the truck in today. Hopefully we get some resolution. I had the same issue happen again yesterday on a forestry road. Truck was in 2wd and was losing power before making it to the top. Was only at 3500 feet this time and at least it didn't totally die, but it sure felt like it was going to stop before making it to the top.

Ever since I had the dead pedal tab done, my mileage has been **** and have had more issues with shifting / dead pedal. Betting the last ECM updated didn't take and the truck has been operating in some sort of "safe" mode. We will see.

Also having them check out what sounds like a bad bearing that happens every minute or so when idling as well as what sounds like a bad ball joint....really hoping ball joints don't become an issue on these trucks like the dodges!
Thank you for posting, please update with any news from the dealership. I hope your dealership is able to diagnose something. Not sure how I feel about hearing another owner has the same problem. I do know I am starting to regret putting more money into my truck so soon (window tint, have a camper top on the way, etc).

·
194 Posts
Finally got mine back from the dealer and had a chance to drive it. They installed another ECM update and this seems to have fixed most of the shifting issues I had since the last dead pedal update. Still getting the occasional dead pedal but its better. Drove it in the local mountains again this weekend with no issue, but it wasn't as hot. Dealer really didn't do much about my issue with it dying... just gave me the classic could no duplicate response. I really think the truck was in some sort of safe mode since the last ECM update. Got the idling noise taken care of sorta (waiting on parts) sounds like the AC compressor going out is a known issue and they have a campaign on it now.

·
60 Posts
Hey, I Had this issue many times in my backyards. I have a good hill in my backyard and truck felt like more I press the peda,l more it want to dead... But today it happened in a small road uphill. I was stopped in the bottom and then I slowly tried to accelerate, more I pressed the fuel pedal more it wanted to dead, it's stand like that for a 1/8 mile...(15-20 seconds) then it slowly restarded to accelerate when I was close to the top. For me it felt like the fuel system swallowed air... My dealer was clueless for my steering clunk, my smoke smell in the cab(even after the tsb). Today someone could easily hit me by behind if I was not alone on this road. I have an electrical issue too: every time I start the truck I hear parasites in the front speakers, I went to dealer 6 times for that issue still unresolved...

Let me know if you find something about this issue, If i find something on my side I will let you know for sure.

Here in Canada we don't have lemon law, we have to fight in court. But I'm really starting to think of letting my truck sit in the parking lot of my dealer, and ask my dealer: 'When you will have solved all the issue call me back, if takes too long I will fight nissan corp in court to void my contract, and by the way don't even think to try call me back if all the issues are not solved. Meanwhile I will keep on my payments for keep my credit intact, but this truck will not sit another day in my driveway with all this issues still not solved, and I will win my points in court I will doin what it takes'... Amen!

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
I am wondering if the Traction management system is the culprit in these issues?

I got the dead pedal thing twice today. Transitioning from a flat spot on the road to a slight incline. I didn't even change how much I was pressing the pedal and it stumbled for like 3 secs until I pressed the throttle harder. Same thing twice today, in St Louis, MO....so I don't think elevation has anything to do with it.

·
313 Posts
Hello,

Truck details:

Thank you,

Jonathan
Did you try to stomp on gas to get a gear change?

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
How was the coolant level? A few people have been losing coolant out of the egr and if it gets low enough it will go into a limp mode.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts