Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From nissantechnicianinfo website:

"LIFT PUMP

The lift pump features a check ball to ensure a filter is installed. The fuel filter is equipped with a plastic needle that inserts into the bottom of the lift pump, keeping the check ball from being able to seat against the inlet of the lift pump.

If no fuel filter is installed, the ball will be drawn by the lift pump against the inlet causing the engine to not start."

Does anyone know if the lift pump will still run if the check ball is seated against the inlet? It seems like it wouldn't, but I'm grasping at straws here and just trying to eliminate every possibility. I was wondering if it is possible that some sediment may have been sucked into the lift pump and blocked the check ball. But at the same time, after I changed the fuel filters, I was able to prime the fuel system just fine, which would indicate the lift pump was doing its job. And the service advisor told me the tech ran a fuel flow test and it came back normal. They are missing something, and it is probably something very simple. I'm usually a very calm and understanding kind of guy, but my level of frustration with this is running high right now. Three weeks, and still no clue how to fix it with nine different techs and engineers looking at it!

·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just had a voicemail from the shop. He said they finally figured out what is the issue. It is the lift pump. The last few days I have been trying to call them to ask them if they checked that, but every time I called, they didn't answer. The shop is a 35 minute drive from my house, and well out of the way of my drive home from work, so I haven't been able to go there personally either.
Now here's the kicker. In the voicemail he said that the part will NOT be covered by the warranty! I guess that makes sense because the lift pump is not part of the powertrain. He even called CarMax to ask if the extended warranty I bought would cover it, and they said no! WTF? What the hell did I spend the extra money for then? Ugh! Well, at least they know what it is and I will hopefully be getting my truck back soon, although my wallet will be a good bit lighter. He said the part is around $800, but that since they have had the truck for so long, he won't charge me for labor and will discount the part. There is that, at least.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts