Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is about 15 months old now. I've had it in the shop around 10 times for various things. We've owned 5 other nissan vehicles in the past 6 years, and this truck is anything but what I've come to expect from them as far as quality goes . Two days ago I began to feel and hear a knock coming from the engine at idle. After 5 minutes of sitting in my parking lot at work, it intensified so I called my dealer and told them I was bringing it in. 15 minutes later, when I arrived at the service department, my truck was visually and audibly knocking and sputtering, garnering all of the attention from the service team and customers. It smelled like it was on fire. I was so pissed off that I couldn't see straight. I lost my cool and told them what a piece of **** this $56,000 truck has been. This truck had cost me around 20 hours of work at this point and, by the way, they are also fixing my rear windows, which do nothing when the switch is engaged. My advice : if you haven't already, buy an f250 if you want a diesel or a tundra if gas is more appealing. I'll never buy another nissan. THIS TRUCK IS A HUNK OF ****!!!!!! EXCUSE MY LANGUAGE.

·
901 Posts
Sorry youve had to go through an awful experience with the truck. I havent had mine 15 months only nine but i havent been in the shop.
They arent all junk.
Sounds like youve got two choices. Good luck.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I got my truck back after 3.5 days in the shop. Air somehow got into the fuel injector line and caused the issue. I did ask how air got in, to which the mechanic replied "good question". Had the truck out of the shop for 2 minutes and noticed that the steering wheel canted to the right slightly, even while going perfectly straight. When I pulled into my driveway, the truck made a very loud creaking noise that got two of my neighbors attention. Took it BACK in this morning. Gearbox separating with metal shards everywhere inside. Truck deemed unsafe to drive and now I have a loaner yet again. This time I took matters to Nissan corporate. I'm now in the process of evaluation for having a lemon. I'll keep anyone who cares posted on the resolution of this. I am absolutely beside myself at the horrible quality of this truck.

·
3 Posts
You have no idea how pissed I am on this. They are trying to blame the fuel and said I have unleaded in my tank. Called BS and now they are say that there is debris in the fuel causing the problem. Still can't post the **** link so I will see how to convert the mp4 file.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sooooo.....funny story. Got a loaner 2016 Titan SL XD just like mine and the steering seems to have the very same issue. This appears to represent a pattern, not an anomaly.

·
3 Posts
Well if I can figure out a way to upload a video I will. I was told that I had unleaded fuel in the truck. Called BS and made them test it. Well the test came back negative and now they tell me there is debris in the tank. Keep in mind there are two 4 micron filters that the fuel goes through before it hits the pump. They will not fix it and keep telling me to file an insurance claim.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to hear that. I'm quite unimpressed by this vehicle's quality. That was an expensive lesson though.

·
101 Posts
I've been reading this forum almost since the beginning, I've got a 04 titan that I enjoy and really was planning on buying a new XD once our house was build, well we started moving in last week so its getting time to get serious about a truck. I need a full size truck as I have a 20ft goose-neck trailer, I don't want a diesel since all the emissions have made them a pain in the ass, I loved my 2001, and 2004 powerstrokes, in the past and like the diesel power curve, but now after driving a gas XD and a f250 ga, I've decided that the f250 gas is going to fit my needs better than the titan, it drove as good and with what I'm reading about Nissan's warranty in posts like this I'm feeling better about my decision. Why do these dealers try to blame stuff on the customer, its a new truck, well within warranty
, just fix it and make the customer happy so we can get back to living life

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, so I will qualify what I'm saying a little based on your post. At no time has Nissan not stood behind their warranty. The only money that this truck has cost me is missed work, which has been a lot. The problem I'm having is that I don't think any new vehicle should behave like this. I actually love the diesel and will have a hard time ever going back to gasoline. The fuel mileage is so much better and the power is tremendous. DEF is a pain in the butt, but is very occasional. For total clarification sake though, the warranty on the truck is as good as any; I just wish that I hadn't used it so many times. I've also been looking at the F250. The problem is parting with $75, 000 for the truck I like slightly more than my own that cost me $20, 000 less. Good luck!

·
20 Posts
What was the end result for the gearbox and what part was replaced? I've got a really loud creak at times when making a left turn and the suspension moves.

·
1,331 Posts
I've been reading this forum almost since the beginning, I've got a 04 titan that I enjoy and really was planning on buying a new XD once our house was build, well we started moving in last week so its getting time to get serious about a truck. I need a full size truck as I have a 20ft goose-neck trailer, I don't want a diesel since all the emissions have made them a pain in the ass, I loved my 2001, and 2004 powerstrokes, in the past and like the diesel power curve, but now after driving a gas XD and a f250 ga, I've decided that the f250 gas is going to fit my needs better than the titan, it drove as good and with what I'm reading about Nissan's warranty in posts like this I'm feeling better about my decision. Why do these dealers try to blame stuff on the customer, its a new truck, well within warranty
, just fix it and make the customer happy so we can get back to living life
Haha, many more Ford posts just like this if you really look. Ford pretty much gave diesel owners the finger when their fuel pumps took out motors at a cost off around 15k to fix.

·
1,331 Posts
Yeah, so I will qualify what I'm saying a little based on your post. At no time has Nissan not stood behind their warranty. The only money that this truck has cost me is missed work, which has been a lot. The problem I'm having is that I don't think any new vehicle should behave like this. I actually love the diesel and will have a hard time ever going back to gasoline. The fuel mileage is so much better and the power is tremendous. DEF is a pain in the butt, but is very occasional. For total clarification sake though, the warranty on the truck is as good as any; I just wish that I hadn't used it so many times. I've also been looking at the F250. The problem is parting with $75, 000 for the truck I like slightly more than my own that cost me $20, 000 less. Good luck!
Do your home work on all manufactures, you’ll find others have had similar experiences with all brands. It just happens even if it shouldn’t but even at a 2% rate it isn’t that common and people don’t jump on forums when they don’t have issues, only when they do or if they like discussing their vehicle. Many others never get on forums that have had zero problems. The Duramax and Fords have been having pump failures that take out the entire fueling system at a cost of around $15k, has happened to more people between those two brands then there are probably members on this forum. Don’t just think all Nissans are junk, you just got one. Many others in your situation with the other manufacturers as well.

Chevy AFM motors have been known to fail at around 80k. Ram Eco Diesels have had high failures etc.

Good luck and hopefully you don’t move from one turd to the next even if you change brands.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts