Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running low on fuel and had between 50-60 miles till empty. I had to make a stop for a service call. When I went to restart the XD, it didn't want to start, it just sputtered and finally started. The entire truck was shaking and it was a very rough start. I am thinking it somehow lost its prime.
Anyone else see this problem yet?
I have 3750 miles so far

·
203 Posts
I was running low on fuel and had between 50-60 miles till empty. I had to make a stop for a service call. When I went to restart the XD, it didn't want to start, it just sputtered and finally started. The entire truck was shaking and it was a very rough start. I am thinking it somehow lost its prime.
Anyone else see this problem yet?
I have 3750 miles so far
Similar issues reported here.....
http://www.titanxdforum.com/forum/490-5-0l-cummins-v8-turbo-diesel/12234-fuel-1-8th-tank-decreased-engine-power.html

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No sir I didn't lose engine power. The truck just didn't want to restart. The power was fine once it started. Again kind of like it lost its prime but it still had fuel in the system. I just am just concerned with the very rough start and the potential damage it could have caused to the engine.

·
203 Posts
Sounds like your due for a trip to the dealer. Keep us posted.
And post a pic of that fx4(which I'm sure you meant pro4x)

·
82 Posts
Thats happened to me twice, both times when low on fuel, low enough that miles left didnt register. Took about 24 gallons on the refill.

·
16 Posts
This is not technically a "problem". It's how diesels work, it's just how it is. When you run out of fuel and start sucking air into the fuel system, the system has to re-prime and get the air out of the fuel lines. That's why it runs rough for a little bit and doesn't start immediately. Moral of the story, Don't run out of fuel in a diesel truck. Yall are lucky modern diesel trucks can reprime the fuel system automatically, you used to have to get your truck towed to a mechanic if you ran out of fuel.

But if yall are having these problems when the truck is still reporting fuel in the system, then that may be a problem.

·
16 Posts
Well I guess I should check my reading comprehension skills, I thought the OP said he ran out of fuel, my mistake. So yes, it does sound like there is possibly a problem.

·
182 Posts
It talks about this in the manual, well sort of. I had this happen to me several times then I picked up the manual to see what it said about it. It says when you run the fuel low. You should turn the ignition on or, push the start button twice, before starting it. Leave the ignition on for 90 seconds to let the fuel system prime itself, or get the air out of the system. I have done this practically every time I start the truck now. It helps. Hasn't not started since. Hope this helps everyone.

·
82 Posts
I attributed it to the pumps losing their prime, but...im somewhat surprised that happens with 2 gallons left in the tank. I havent checked but i assume the tank is baffled and has a sump. I dont think its a real issue though, i view it more as a characteristic.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
This is a technical issue when your truck shows mileage to go until empty and it loses prime and doesn't want to start. I have had diesels all my life never had this issue before
I'm with ya man, odd and hope they issue a bulletin soon. Same boat here although I'm sucking it up and waiting for a revised pump assembly:/

BigRed

·
1,979 Posts
It's really not a problem until the operator makes it one, keep fuel in it. I'm sure they are going to adjust the intake level.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When you are busy and the low level fuel sneaks up on you you still should not fear your truck won't start when you shut it off to refuel the truck. Again a major problem that is not addressed by NISSAN. It is really a programming issue. I truly believe most of the drivability issues are computer related to these trucks.
But these comments to keep fuel in them just adds fuel to the fire.
NISSAN just needs to fix the problems and handle them in a more professional, serious and timely manner for all parties concerned.
Easy going comments do not help to look past the adherent problems smacking us consumers in the face.
I am just very lucky and happy that it's not my problem anymore.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
It's really not a problem until the operator makes it one, keep fuel in it. I'm sure they are going to adjust the intake level.
Actually, it is a problem, when you have 80miles to empty (literally a needle thickness below a 1/4 tank), No low fuel light, 5gal of fuel floating in the tank, and you start having issues like no-starts. Used to driving tractor trailers, so waiting for the 2sec delay for power doesn't bother me terribly, but the torque management is horrible and this turbo arrangement lends itself to much better performance than they let it.

BigRed

·
4 Posts
I just had a 50 gallon Titan tank installed. Fit perfectly, but my problem is it ran out of fuel showing over 1/4 on the fuel gauge. The people at Titan Tanks said it is a low pressure fuel pump problem so we had a new one installed at the shop. Ran out of fuel again today showing right at 1/4 tank.. filled up with 34 gallons of fuel....so the sending unit is reading correctly.
Any others have this problem???

·
1,614 Posts
Sounds like a issue with the pick up tube in the tank. Something got messed up when it was swapped over. If you bought and new lift pump assembly and had it installed I would say you just wasted your money. Need to drop the tank and pull the sending unit assembly back out and check the hoses going to the screen at the bottom. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts