Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wonder if anyone else ran into this problem.
I went to change the lower diesel filter ( first time I changed, dealer changed the first time).
I turned the filter cover off and the filter was stuck on the plastic cover that goes over the fuel pump inside
You could turn the filter and the plastic turned turned with it.
I tried to pull the filer down and the plastic came off with the filter.
Can not pull that plastic out of the filter. Some how the plastic got stuck in the filter.
If you put a new filter in with out that plastic part the pump falls out into the new filter.
The only way to get the pump cover plastic is buy the whole case inclosure, $568 bucks.
Dealer says you worked on it you bought it WTF.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Wonder if anyone else ran into this problem.
I went to change the lower diesel filter ( first time I changed, dealer changed the first time).
I turned the filter cover off and the filter was stuck on the plastic cover that goes over the fuel pump inside
You could turn the filter and the plastic turned turned with it.
I tried to pull the filer down and the plastic came off with the filter.
Can not pull that plastic out of the filter. Some how the plastic got stuck in the filter.
If you put a new filter in with out that plastic part the pump falls out into the new filter.
The only way to get the pump cover plastic is buy the whole case inclosure, $568 bucks.
Dealer says you worked on it you bought it WTF.
Kendeno, SToP
Which Fuel Filter are speaking of?? Stage I is the Lift Pump Filter that's under truck along the frame between the passenger and driver side ?
Or the Stage II fuel filter under the Hood..
In reading your message, sounds like your talking about the Stage I fuel Filter Canister that has the Quick Drain for water.. IF so..
That filter which has Four Tongues that must Fit into the Filter Canister... so when you removed the Canister the filter is in it. It will come out hard, like stuck for some not always.. when putting back make sure the tongues of the new filter are in those notches of the canister.. You should be fine.. there are plenty of YouTubes.. for this also here's a link to help you get to know your Fuel System better.. look it ALL over ..
http://www.nissantechnicianinfo.mobi/htmlversions/2015_October_November_Issue_4/Fuel_System.html

Here's a 16 minute vid once you get past him showing his truck, you can skip past that.
https://youtu.be/fNZWPuqZIWY Use a 28mm not 1 1/8 make sure it is a 6 point socket or box wrench.

Now if your talking about the Stage II Fuel Filter in the engine compartment.. sometimes the filter will come out with the Canister lid, it is designed to snap into it.. I have seen where the filter plastic top remains in the lid, and the rest of the filter is still in the canister, just remove the two and replace with a new filter.. but I thing your talking about the filter under the truck that's bolted to the Frame. That is your Stage I Fuel Filter and Lift Pump with Quick drain for Water if you happen to get a Water In Fuel light on your instrument panel or you want to just check for water by taking a sample. Remember to Close that Drain, or you will never get fuel primed, etc.

Enjoy
Ric

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick thanks for the update and the links, yes it was the stage one filter. The center of the filter was stuck on the plastic cone that holds the pump up in the top section, I mean stuck hard. I still have not been able to get it out of the filter. I was going to cut the filter in half so I could see why it is stuck but I kind of want to keep it as is for now so a Nissan rep can look at it.
This only the second filter change the dealer did the first. I don’t understand how this could have happened, I don’t think I caused it to be stuck on the plastic part by turning the canister down? But the Nissan service department doesn’t even want to look at it, they are saying you worked on it last, you eat it! I trie to email you back but it would not deliver.

·
279 Posts
Rick thanks for the update and the links, yes it was the stage one filter. The center of the filter was stuck on the plastic cone that holds the pump up in the top section, I mean stuck hard. I still have not been able to get it out of the filter. I was going to cut the filter in half so I could see why it is stuck but I kind of want to keep it as is for now so a Nissan rep can look at it.
This only the second filter change the dealer did the first. I don’t understand how this could have happened, I don’t think I caused it to be stuck on the plastic part by turning the canister down? But the Nissan service department doesn’t even want to look at it, they are saying you worked on it last, you eat it! I trie to email you back but it would not deliver.
If its stuck, put it back together, prime it, start the truck. Take it to a different dealer and have them change the fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Kendeno, you have two choices.. one is what FatboyRoy said.. or Fix it your self.. I have made a Youtube Video of the Stage One Filter Lift Pump disassembled, not to teach you how to put filter, but to show you normal insertion Without the Canister.. and for you to give me more clarity on what your dealing with.. Your telling me that the filter is still in the Lift Pump with the Canister removed and your not able to pull the Filter down and out, but you can turn it.. ????
Here is my email [email protected] if you want to email me.. also I have uploaded this video I made just to have a common link of understanding with you and what your dealing with..
https://youtu.be/T_vUp22Rs08

Your welcome to contact me.. email me will give you my number.. we can talk.. the video is still uploading to Youtube.. so it will be at least another 20 minutes before available.. current time is 10:33am central.. so give it till 11am central time..

Enjoy
Regards,
Ric

Attachments

·
134 Posts
Sounds like to me your dealer did not use petroleum jelly or diesel on the rubber rings on the new filter before installing. I always put a very lite coat of Vaseline on the rubber rings of the new filters when installing them as instructed by the instructions. I have never had an issue of removing the filter. Unless you count the .5 gallon of diesel that seems to flow out as I am trying to drain the thing. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
279 Posts
Based on video by Ric, you should be able to easily pry it off regardless how stuck it is. It's not a high temperature parts, so nothing melted and glued together for sure.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I think what may have happened, which it should not have, but if the last Tech was not cautious during the install of the Filter and even if the Tech made sure the 4 tabs where in the notches of the Canister, If your not careful and don't Lube the Oring and Seal inside the filter.. as your turning the Canister back on the Filter Tabs come out and it's possible when the Tech bottomed the Canister the tabs where not in place and where CRUSHED and are Wedged in the Upper inside of the Lift Pump.. You will have to Carefully pull the straight Down, Do not Pry Sideways..

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
I think what may have happened, which it should not have, but if the last Tech was not cautious during the install of the Filter and even if the Tech made sure the 4 tabs where in the notches of the Canister, If your not careful and don't Lube the Oring and Seal inside the filter.. as your turning the Canister back on the Filter Tabs come out and it's possible when the Tech bottomed the Canister the tabs where not in place and where CRUSHED and are Wedged in the Upper inside of the Lift Pump.. You will have to Carefully pull the straight Down, Do not Pry Sideways..
This is indicative of a tech or someone putting the filter first on the pump housing (as you did in the video) and then trying to screw the canister on.
Also, I'm curious about the filter housing and filter you used in the video.
I've tested my theory when changing my Stage 1 fuel filter and none of my filters popped on and off as easily as yours did in the video.
I had to "push" them onto the pump housing and them pull relatively hard to get them off.
Where did that unit come from you were videoing? Was it off the submarine?

·
274 Posts
My brother-in-laws' truck had a similar problem. We ended up breaking the plastic piece trying to get the filter off(first fuel filter change, 10000 miles). Dealer told us we were idiots and charged him a boat load to fix it. I've seen another thread on here with the same issue. So thats 3 cases I personally know of now.

I could probably find pics if you need some, but I really really like the idea of having another dealer do it, and see what they say about the situation.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
This is indicative of a tech or someone putting the filter first on the pump housing (as you did in the video) and then trying to screw the canister on.
Also, I'm curious about the filter housing and filter you used in the video.
I've tested my theory when changing my Stage 1 fuel filter and none of my filters popped on and off as easily as yours did in the video.
I had to "push" them onto the pump housing and them pull relatively hard to get them off.
Where did that unit come from you were videoing? Was it off the submarine?
Hi Arice,
To answer your question, that lift pump came from a wreck XD, I bought because the canister from my Submarine was damaged when the tow truck dragged out from the river, and apparently drug it over some large boulders by evidence of the under belly frame having scars and bent rock protector of the Stage I and the wire tore off the water sensor.. and bent shock.. it must have need stuck pretty good because the winch also tore one of the Tow hook out of the frame and bent the other one ....
Pics of the filters box's Stage I and II that I used..

Attachments

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I took the time and cut the filter off th pump plastic housing yesterday.
As soon as I got threw the plastic on the filter the pump housing plastic fell out out of the filter. I tried to install the housing in a new Nissan filter with both diesel fuel an oil on the o-ring in the filter and it would go on but was
Super tight could barely get it on and could hardly rotate it in the filter.
I still had a wix filter I had purchased at the beginning of this whole mess
And it went in much easer and I could rotate it inside the filter.
I think eather the o-ring is to thick or the slot the o-ring sits in is to tight
Also the o-ring might be getting rolled down as it gets pushed on.
The worst thing is the dealer did not want to even touch the part or try to understand how it could happen or report it as a problem to Nissan.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Well I took the time and cut the filter off th pump plastic housing yesterday.
As soon as I got threw the plastic on the filter the pump housing plastic fell out out of the filter. I tried to install the housing in a new Nissan filter with both diesel fuel an oil on the o-ring in the filter and it would go on but was
Super tight could barely get it on and could hardly rotate it in the filter.
I still had a wix filter I had purchased at the beginning of this whole mess
And it went in much easer and I could rotate it inside the filter.
I think eather the o-ring is to thick or the slot the o-ring sits in is to tight
Also the o-ring might be getting rolled down as it gets pushed on.
The worst thing is the dealer did not want to even touch the part or try to understand how it could happen or report it as a problem to Nissan.
Hi, Kendeno
Your challenge and difficulty is very unusual.. most likely why the Dealership is not interested.. I have to share with you as I already have in past replies.. The issue appears to be something wrong happened by the initial filter change by the dealership and because you took it upon yourself to change the next filter they don't believe they were the issue.. but know doubt something was wrong..
I have two of these trucks and have changed filters, all of the fuel filters Stage I and II, at least 6 times. Never experienced what your having to deal with..
I suggest you find a different dealership, if your truck is still under warranty.... do not mention your issue.. just take it in for a Fuel filter change Only the Primary..Stage I.. that's your frame mounted, I know you know this.. . Don't give them Any details Who, What Where or Why.. but that you think you may have got some bad fuel.. What I'm I saying is Play Possum . I am not asking you to lie or tell a story.. Do not mention about the other Dealership... Say Nothing.. Just that you would like the Primary Stage I filter changed because that's what you want.. Now I know it's going to cost you a service call..at the Dealership..
But what I have always done is I stop by a Dealership, before I even take my truck to them.. I meet with the service mgr, I talk with them, ask some questions.. like When is the best time to bring the truck by.,, important question is What Would They Charge to Change the Fuel Filter under the frame.. Keep it simple, if you like what they tell you.. Bring the Truck by, and Let them change the Filter.. Let's see if they Find Something Wrong.. while they are doing the Change, if they see or find something wrong.. they most likely will come out in the lobby waiting room and speak with you about it.. Let Them Tell You what they Found.. Do Not Tell Them You Changed the last Filter... Your not required to .. be a Possum..
If in fact there is something wrong, they will tell you and if it under warranty your done.. they will tell you what they have to do to fix it..
You should not be having issues changing a fuel filter,, as I demo the Video for you.. it's a piece of cake.. But if the prior dealership messed it up somehow,, it's on Nissan not you.. Keep your mouth shut.. Let them fix it.. or Accept the fact you had a defective filter or somehow you managed to mess it.. but I can't see how that happened either..
Go to a Different Dealership.. get this filter issue corrected and then future do your own if your comfortable with it..

·
32 Posts
I have only changed 2 of the under body fuel filters.. found that if there is more fuel in the tank that will not set the low fuel warning light off when removing the filter the fuel will continue to siphon out of the tank.. I did the water drain first a few times... no help..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts