Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2017 Titan XD 5.0 with 9,000 miles on it. When the salesman first brought the truck around, I could hear what sounded like a bad belt tensioner bearing. My purchase contract stated they would remedy this issue to my satisfaction. The tech stated there was a TSB for the AC clutch and replaced it. This did not fix the issue. Tech line asked that he remove the belt and briefly start the motor to eliminate the pulleys and accessories. The metallic grinding noise is still there. Tech line has now advised him to pull an oil sample to analyze for metal particles. They advised next step will be opening up the crankcase and timing chain cover. The oil analysis has not been completed yet. Has anyone else had a similar issue?

·
285 Posts
Rlpjr30-- Interested in what you find. Check out the threads below. My 2016 has had a sound I would have sworn is a bad accessory or idler bearing from years of owning vehicles....not quite as nasty/pronounced as the video you will find in the "loud engine rattle" thread, but definitely present. Seems to go away in winter and come back when warmer outside. Dealer couldn't find anything...Of course it is still there...annoying as heck!! I figured if it was the tensioner bearing, no big deal...that is a 60 buck part even if ti fails out of warranty and easy to replace. But, if it is something worse like a turbo (as suggested by one member)! I only have a bit over 13,000 miles on mine and 2 years left on powertrain, so your post caught my eye!

Kudos to your tech for trying to troubleshoot and take the belt off to localize the problem. That's good service!!
If yours sounds anything like the video, please let us know, particularly if your guy gets to the bottom of it. There are at least a couple folks who have dropped by in the past with this issue. I'd love to hear you diagnosis and resolution. May help me with my situation! Wish I had your tech!

search "metallic sound"

Wish I could post video of mine but file size too large. Good luck and please let us know!

Vann

·
285 Posts
Oh, I should have added that they replaced my crankshaft pulley under a TSB, but had no effect on the sound. In the threads you will see much more...

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rlpjr30-- Interested in what you find. Check out the threads below. My 2016 has had a sound I would have sworn is a bad accessory or idler bearing from years of owning vehicles....not quite as nasty/pronounced as the video you will find in the "loud engine rattle" thread, but definitely present. Seems to go away in winter and come back when warmer outside. Dealer couldn't find anything...Of course it is still there...annoying as heck!! I figured if it was the tensioner bearing, no big deal...that is a 60 buck part even if ti fails out of warranty and easy to replace. But, if it is something worse like a turbo (as suggested by one member)! I only have a bit over 13,000 miles on mine and 2 years left on powertrain, so your post caught my eye!

Kudos to your tech for trying to troubleshoot and take the belt off to localize the problem. That's good service!!
If yours sounds anything like the video, please let us know, particularly if your guy gets to the bottom of it. There are at least a couple folks who have dropped by in the past with this issue. I'd love to hear you diagnosis and resolution. May help me with my situation! Wish I had your tech!

search "metallic sound"

Wish I could post video of mine but file size too large. Good luck and please let us know!

Vann
The sound is similar to the metallic noise from a centrifugal clutch like you would find on a chain drive go-kart. It increase in volume and pitch with RPM as well. It’s concerning to say the least. Especially that you can hear it over a turbo diesel.

·
12 Posts
Were they ever able to get to the bottom of it? I just bought a 2017 that has this issue. Crazy how loud the grinding sound is.

·
35 Posts
I got the same issue on a 2019 with only 3,000 miles, I just bought it sight unseen because it was new. It was a dealer demo model. Sounds like a bearing on an idler pulley. Made an appointment today, but no availability for two weeks. Love the truck but that noise is loud on warm day with windows down. It is loudest right in front of the grill.

·
12 Posts
I got the same issue on a 2019 with only 3,000 miles, I just bought it sight unseen because it was new. It was a dealer demo model. Sounds like a bearing on an idler pulley. Made an appointment today, but no availability for two weeks. Love the truck but that noise is loud on warm day with windows down. It is loudest right in front of the grill.
Yep that sounds about right.

·
285 Posts
I don't know that the original poster has been back since then unfortunately. I sure would be interested in what you find. The noise on mine goes away in the winter, but is loudest on a warm day right in front of the grill just like you stated!

I never took off the belt to see if the noise was still there...I can't figure out why it is present really only in the warm months. I still think it is a pulley bearing, but I've never verified. I have only ~14,000 mile on it now. Still have powertrain warranty if it is something internal. Not worried so much about an idler pulley if it is something like that. 60 bucks and an easy job really...Still, it worries me not to know. Dealership was no real help....

·
35 Posts
Took thermal gun and checked all the pulley’s to see if any were hotter they all read about 140. To me the noise is coming from the front of the fan clutch. I hear it best dead center right in front of the grill.

if I had to guess the dealer won’t do anything since it works. The belt was smooth with no run in it so tracking straight.

·
12 Posts
Pulled the belt today (finally) started it up briefly, sound is still there which tells me at least in my case it's either "normal" as other forums seem to suggest or it's something to do with the crank pulley or crank itself. Dunno what could be done about either to be honest.

·
35 Posts
Every Titan CTD I have heard sounds like this. It’s just part of their uniqueness, I supposed. Like how Dodges all rust. :D
So should I even take it in to the Dealer?

It sounds like a bad pulley, but is not to loud when cold only when it warms up. It is loudest right in front of the truck dead center of the grill.

·
12 Posts
I'm swapping out the crankshaft pulley today or tomorrow. I'd already ordered it and the one on the truck has a verrrrry slight wobble to it so to be safe I'm going to do it. Especially with the crankshaft issues I keep reading about with these motors. She will be good as new XD

·
669 Posts

It sounds like a bad pulley, but is not to loud when cold only when it warms up. It is loudest right in front of the truck dead center of the grill.
If you think you should take it in, by all means, take it in.

I pretty certain that this noise is the same one they all make. But, ya never know.

·
12 Posts

Like QuickCoastie said, it's ultimately a judgement call, especially if it's still under warranty tho, what does it hurt to have em listen to it.

·
67 Posts
I brought mine in for the same thing under the advice of a local mechanic.

it was a big waste of time nissan dealership said nothing was wrong with it and sounded fine.

·
12 Posts
well i swapped mine out today. Sound is still there, but significantly quieter than it was. Also noticed the slight wobble is gone that the old one had. There is a TSB for them being bent from the factory I'm told.

·
35 Posts
well i swapped mine out today. Sound is still there, but significantly quieter than it was. Also noticed the slight wobble is gone that the old one had. There is a TSB for them being bent from the factory I'm told.
Mine is brand new 2019 you think they could have this problem too?

·
12 Posts
Mine is brand new 2019 you think they could have this problem too?
Honestly wouldn't surprise me, but I gotta say, the noise is back in full force. Can honestly say its mind blowing that a trucks pulleys could be louder than it's DIESEL ENGINE. I just don't get it Lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts