Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was highly considering the new titan xd to help trailer my boat down here in south Florida but after reading these forums for over a year now I am highly dissapointed. I have real strong connections with ram and ford so I do get severe discounted pricing but I held out specifically for this truck. If the pricing estimates are true as much as it burdens me to say this I might now consider even a Colorado with the duramax engine,due to pricing and mpgs (30mpg hwy) before I consider and XD. Someone please save this truck from disaster!

·
608 Posts
So what are the most important things to you when it comes to buying your next truck? The Colorado is a smaller truck than the Titan XD, so it makes sense that it would be more expensive. If fuel economy and price are most important, then the Colorado might be a better choice. If you are looking more for capability, then the Titan XD is definitely the winner when it comes to that measure.

·
340 Posts
So I was highly considering the new titan xd to help trailer my boat down here in south Florida but after reading these forums for over a year now I am highly dissapointed. I have real strong connections with ram and ford so I do get severe discounted pricing but I held out specifically for this truck. If the pricing estimates are true as much as it burdens me to say this I might now consider even a Colorado with the duramax engine,due to pricing and mpgs (30mpg hwy) before I consider and XD. Someone please save this truck from disaster!
welcome to the boards.

just curious why you waited for the XD if the colorado will service your needs?

·
11 Posts
I am very disappointed as well. I do not need a diesel at all, I have a 45 horse tractor twice a year....I love the diesel, but I want all the bell and whistles. Sold my powerstroke fully loaded 4x4 assuming the PR would have a sunroof and power folding mirrors. Thats my fault. Even if I decided to get it anyway, it would be stupid to pay the same or more for what I can get a 2015 Longhorn or a 2015 Denali both 2500 fully loaded 4x4 for 56k. This is a good time of year to buy current models.

·
51 Posts
It seems to be a trade-off on the options. Those other trucks may have sun roofs and power folding mirrors but across the board the test drivers all said that Titan has the better and quieter ride. For long distances, I'd rather not have the noise and bounce.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
welcome to the boards.

just curious why you waited for the XD if the colorado will service your needs?
Because the Colorado would barely meet them. And if I ever do upgrade the size of my boat then it def won't meet my needs.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what are the most important things to you when it comes to buying your next truck? The Colorado is a smaller truck than the Titan XD, so it makes sense that it would be more expensive. If fuel economy and price are most important, then the Colorado might be a better choice. If you are looking more for capability, then the Titan XD is definitely the winner when it comes to that measure.
Options. Pricing. Mpg. Im not an everyday hauler like most guys on this forum. I'm a weekend warrior hauling my boat and ocassionally a trailer when I hunt and camp.

·
51 Posts
I'm looking at this truck because I upgraded my travel trailer and my Tundra can't take it. What started as a 20k deal on the travel trailer is now turning into a 70k deal with the need for a new truck! If you get the Colorado, you better keep your old boat.

·
658 Posts
I'm looking at this truck because I upgraded my travel trailer and my Tundra can't take it. What started as a 20k deal on the travel trailer is now turning into a 70k deal with the need for a new truck! If you get the Colorado, you better keep your old boat.
How much does your new travel trailer weigh?

·
51 Posts
It's 9,000. I'm going to test drive several different trucks before I make up my mind and I've been doing tons of research as well. In my mind right now I am gravitating towards the Titan but I need to get behind the wheel and I would like to see some more definite towing mpg's.

·
857 Posts
I head that Toyota will be improving on the Tundra, have you been hearing anything about that or been following any developments on it?

·
42 Posts
I head that Toyota will be improving on the Tundra, have you been hearing anything about that or been following any developments on it?
Toyota was allegedly going to use the 5.0L Cummins turbodiesel that's in the Titan XD for 2016 but when the 2016 Tundras were announced, all they had was a trailer brake controller and a 40-gallon fuel tank.

Latest word is that Tundra *might* use the 5.0L Cummins in 2017 and is up for redesign in 2019. Source: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/dcce?Site=CA&Date=20130729&Module=39&Category=&Type=TOYOTA&ID=2915084&Selected=16&class=3913 (updated Jul 2015)

I like a lot of things about Tundra but so many things about it are now uncompetitive in the market.

·
31 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 2016 isn't much different from the 2007. I've also heard they have dropped the idea of adding a diesel. Some rumors that they plan to make changes for 2017. As currently configured it falls well below the load and towing capacity of both the XD and the F-159

·
51 Posts
I owned my Tundra for 15 years. It's only the little 4.7 liter but it has almost 250k miles on it without anything more than routine maintenance. The big 3 don't typically have trucks that can last nearly that long without some repairs along the way. I would like to have a another long-lasting reliable truck but here are some numbers to consider. I figure I will be towing approximately 4,000 miles per year. If you take 4,000 x 15 years that is 60,000 miles. Let's say a typical mpg towing of a gas truck to be 10 mpg. So 60,000 miles divided by 10 mpg is 6,000 gallons. Taking an average gas price over 15 years of fluctuation of say $3.50/gallon. 6,000 gallons x 3.50 is $21,000.00 in fuel. A 20% savings in towing (21,000 x 20%) is a $4,200.00 savings over 15 years in fuel vs. gas. Now you can get a fully loaded truck for about $10,000 - $15,000 less than this diesel. You also have to consider that it is a supposedly well-built Cummins. However, this is it's first trial year out - let's not forget the Duramax's first year disaster. It also had aluminum heads but technology has come a long way too. I am just still completely undecided which direction to go here.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
665 Posts
However, this is it's first trial year out - let's not forget the Duramax's first year disaster. It also had aluminum heads but technology has come a long way too. I am just still completely undecided which direction to go here.
In the pickup market, the ISV is already in service with some RV/Bus type things.

The Duramax also didn't get as long of a development cycle as the ISV did.

If Cummins did their job right, the ISV will be in production for the next 20-30 years.

·
15 Posts
In the pickup market, the ISV is already in service with some RV/Bus type things.

The Duramax also didn't get as long of a development cycle as the ISV did.

If Cummins did their job right, the ISV will be in production for the next 20-30 years.
A Nissan rep told me they have commercial ISV engines with over 2 million miles.

·
51 Posts
You're right, it looks like they've been using this motor in school buses. That's a relief. I've been looking at the real mpg numbers for the F150 Ecoboost and they are terrible for towing. Seems to be keeping up with moving traffic nicely on the tow uphill and then they reveal that they are getting 3 mpg. Ford of course won't tell you those numbers. Even the V8 gas 5.0 got 11 and I heard they may be discontinuing that one. This Titan actually is really starting to look like it's fitting into the niche nicely.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're right, it looks like they've been using this motor in school buses. That's a relief. I've been looking at the real mpg numbers for the F150 Ecoboost and they are terrible for towing. Seems to be keeping up with moving traffic nicely on the tow uphill and then they reveal that they are getting 3 mpg. Ford of course won't tell you those numbers. Even the V8 gas 5.0 got 11 and I heard they may be discontinuing that one. This Titan actually is really starting to look like it's fitting into the niche nicely.
Don't be fooled just yet. We still need mpg and pricing. I wanted the xd so bad but like our fellows members said you can get a fully loaded 2500 /250 with a bigger diesel with more power and better mpg than a platinum reserve. Yeah u might not need the capabilities of a 250/2500 bitbifbthe price and mpg are better than why not over do it a bit... The ram Cummins is my favorite but honestly the powerstorker and duramax are just as good.

·
313 Posts
I've been looking at the real mpg numbers for the F150 Ecoboost and they are terrible for towing. Seems to be keeping up with moving traffic nicely on the tow uphill and then they reveal that they are getting 3 mpg. Ford of course won't tell you those numbers. Even the V8 gas 5.0 got 11 and I heard they may be discontinuing that one.
Odd, I've been getting 10.4 mpgUS towing my >8000# travel trailer all over North America (~10K miles so far, Rockies, Appalachians, Prairies). Not terrible at all.

But I'm not a lead foot and rarely exceed 62mph. Like most turbo gassers, the Ecoboosts suck gas bad when you punch it to get more power, but sip it when you don't.

·
51 Posts
That was when they were going uphill and keeping up with traffic. I think overall they came out with 7.9 towing if I remember correctly. I'm also a a bit concerned over the crash test results on the aluminum trucks. Apparently the more enforced crew cabs did fine but the extended cabs got crushed. Also was reading where after approximately 4 years or so of driving the ecoboost, they start to get carbon build-up and have some issues going on with that. As far as looks go, the Ford is great but I want to see all around performance combined with long-term reliability. Certainly nothing out there is the absolute perfect all-around truck and it seems that you have to sacrifice somewhere for each truck that is out there. I've been studying all of this so much I'm almost to the point of being sick of it. All roads keep heading back to this XD but Nissan is being so secretive on some of this stuff that it's really frustrating. I'm wondering when they'll have the other configurations out?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts