Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went from Madison, WI to Elizabeth City, NC and we drove it in our 2016 Titian XD truck with the Cummings Diesel engine. We were moving and the rear of the truck was full to the tops of the side panels with “stuff.” Also the rear seats were full and there were two adult in the truck. Turnpikes were used for travel most of the way and the speeds we traveled were usually in the 70-75 mph range all of the time. We left Madison and filled the fuel tank at Edgerton, WI. Below is a summary of the fuel/distance used on the trip.

From ...................To....................Fuel Purchased.......Miles Traveled....MPG....... Remarks
Edgerton, WI.....Fairborn, OH.............22.1 gals...............431..............19.5.......... (1)
Fairborn, OH......Covington, VA...........18.2 gals...............335..............18.4.......... (2)
Covington, VA....Elizabeth City, NC......18.3 gals...............349..............19.1.......... (3)

For the entire trip, 58.6 gals of fuel was used and 1115 miles were traveled for an overall mpg of 19.1 mpg.

Remarks:

(1) Drove through down town Chicago
(2) Drove through the mountains in WV.
(3) Accident on the Interstate slowed traffic to a crawl for an hour.

·
460 Posts
You need to list what model of truck you have and what mods you have or if truck is stock - lifted/not lifted, stock wheels or after market (are they lighter or heavier than stock), tires - original or after market off road tires, tuned?, deleted?, etc. If not deleted, did you notice any regens during the trip (I suspect not). Lots go into the fuel economy. Thanks for the report, but it's helpful to have more of the picture.

I have a 2016 Pro 4X, Cummins, 2" level kit, aftermarket off road tires and wheels, I have it tuned on a PPEI emission friendly tune. After 101,000 miles, my combined fuel economy (75% highway driving 80 mph, 25% city) is right at 17 mpg. Not bad, but not great either.

·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2016 Titian is totally stock. Nothing except routine maintenance has been done to it since it was delivered off the dealers floor. I have no idea what you are talking about when you say regens.

·
460 Posts
My 2016 Titian is totally stock. Nothing except routine maintenance has been done to it since it was delivered off the dealers floor. I have no idea what you are talking about when you say regens.
Thanks, good to know on the modifications. The biggest thing I saw impact my economy is off road tires with greater rolling resistance (and better grip). Otherwise, I haven't seen a ton of changes in fuel economy. People running 35's or 37's and 6" lifts are getting dinged pretty hard on fuel economy numbers - but they didn't buy their truck for fuel economy...lol

Regarding regens, About every 1500 miles, the truck will normally go into regen mode where the diesel engine burns a high amount of fuel to get the exhaust hot to burn out particulates caught in the DPF. It's kind of like cleaning carbon deposits off of a gas BBQ grill - you heat up the grill on high to make the carbon softer and easier to remove. Same concept. For about 20-30 miles on the freeway, the truck will run at about 8 mpg because the higher amount of fuel is going to the engine to burn out the particulates in the exhaust. It wrecks your fuel economy on a trip. People that delete don't have a DPF and don't go into regen, thus it helps improve fuel economy substantially. Depending on one's driving habits, it's about 1-2 mpg lost for regens over the long haul from my experience.

·
323 Posts
Ex-Madcity here, too. Except we went the opposite way on the compass. :)

Sounds like you had a (wonderfully) uneventful trip.

·
273 Posts
Thanks, good to know on the modifications. The biggest thing I saw impact my economy is off road tires with greater rolling resistance (and better grip). Otherwise, I haven't seen a ton of changes in fuel economy. People running 35's or 37's and 6" lifts are getting dinged pretty hard on fuel economy numbers - but they didn't buy their truck for fuel economy...lol

Regarding regens, About every 1500 miles, the truck will normally go into regen mode where the diesel engine burns a high amount of fuel to get the exhaust hot to burn out particulates caught in the DPF. It's kind of like cleaning carbon deposits off of a gas BBQ grill - you heat up the grill on high to make the carbon softer and easier to remove. Same concept. For about 20-30 miles on the freeway, the truck will run at about 8 mpg because the higher amount of fuel is going to the engine to burn out the particulates in the exhaust. It wrecks your fuel economy on a trip. People that delete don't have a DPF and don't go into regen, thus it helps improve fuel economy substantially. Depending on one's driving habits, it's about 1-2 mpg lost for regens over the long haul from my experience.
if you are a heavy highway user, or more frequently towing, that type of regen may not even happen. Or it can be so brief that it doesn't register on the MPG screen. I recently did a 2k mile trip, all highway and towed half of that. Never had a single regen (other than passive) as EGT's were high enough I'm guessing. Once I got back though, it's now the normal once per tank, or every other tank, with city jaunts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts