Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to Start a list of Tips for Better Mileage.

There is some obvious stuff and some not so obvious.

I don't baby my truck but don't hammer on it either. I can get 19 easy with country road driving. Regens every 3 tanks.

One I have is to use the Cruise control when taking off from stops. Once you are above 25 you can hit the resume button and the truck gently gets back up to speed. A lot more gentle than I could with my foot.

Another is if you enter a regen and you need to make a quick stop let the truck idle. The regen won't start over and you'll be out of it more soon, so fuel saved.

What do others have? Loaded, Unloaded, it all applies.

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Momentum is your friend.

You just used energy to get this weight up to speed. I do everything I can do to avoid touching the brakes.

I like to read the road and give throttle on the down hills and coast on the uphills.

Corning at correct speeds and having good exit speed means less energy needed to get back to speed.

Also when its safe to do so I roll through stop signs.

·
42 Posts
Momentum is your friend.

You just used energy to get this weight up to speed. I do everything I can do to avoid touching the brakes.

I like to read the road and give throttle on the down hills and coast on the uphills.

Corning at correct speeds and having good exit speed means less energy needed to get back to speed.

I like this, just not sure the police are going to accept "officer I'm just conserving fuel as an excuse" ( I've had this ticket so yes i roll through stops too)
On a similar but different note ive had my 17 Titan XD for a couple of months now 3500 miles and i noticed that in the colder temperatures that we are starting to see my mileage has decreased. I was consistently getting between 18 and 19 mpg to work then all of a sudden it dropped by between 1 to 1.5 mpg. This is all based on the computer and not hand calculations. I understand that the fuel changes in the winter but this happened in the middle of a tank. Do diesels get worse mileage in the cold temps?

·
185 Posts
everything gets worse mileage when it's cold out. rolling resistance is much worse when it's cold out (gear oil, wheel bearings, trans fluid, engine oil are all thicker and much more resistance). i always notice worse mileage in my diesel XD, and my gas Lexus, and even in my EV Spark when it's below 50 degs.

·
42 Posts
everything gets worse mileage when it's cold out. rolling resistance is much worse when it's cold out (gear oil, wheel bearings, trans fluid, engine oil are all thicker and much more resistance). i always notice worse mileage in my diesel XD, and my gas Lexus, and even in my EV Spark when it's below 50 degs.
Just one more reason to dislike the winter.

·
64 Posts
New Yorker

Left in 1999 and have been in Florida since -- had a Benz diesel but mostly gassers BMW's a vette, Yukon (only liked regular gas). Anyway downstate NY got cold and I really never noticed an actual seasonal mpg difference in any of the vehicles. I would keep a log of mileage and gallons and mpg with date in a little notebook for all the vehicles besides their computer readouts. If anything, a minor change might have been do to that fuel blend which started in the early nineties. Just sayin'

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its probably more noticeable in the cold with shorter trips. If it takes (so long) to get things warm and back to "normal mileage". With shorter trips (so long) is at a higher ratio and you would see more of a decrease than you would with longer drives.

·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cruise Control can be a killer. Its great and keeps speed at setpoint, however it can't predict.

If you are driving an undulating road, you crest a hill, downhill you have free energy, the cruise control will aggressively brake to keep setpoint. If you are approaching a hill the system won't make speed until its too late. 1/4 up the hill it gives gas aggressively.

While it keeps setpoint perfectly, I would bet that you could do 1-3 mpg better than while running cruise control on hilly roads. Keep it safe! Let the vehicle go over setpoint. Build momentum for the next hill.

·
616 Posts
Looking to Start a list of Tips for Better Mileage.

There is some obvious stuff and some not so obvious.

I don't baby my truck but don't hammer on it either. I can get 19 easy with country road driving. Regens every 3 tanks.

One I have is to use the Cruise control when taking off from stops. Once you are above 25 you can hit the resume button and the truck gently gets back up to speed. A lot more gentle than I could with my foot.

Another is if you enter a regen and you need to make a quick stop let the truck idle. The regen won't start over and you'll be out of it more soon, so fuel saved.

What do others have? Loaded, Unloaded, it all applies.
Regens don't "start over." Once the normalized DPF regen threshold is reached, the a Regen flag is set in the truck's firmware. Once the flag is set, the regen will run until the rate of decrease in differential pressure across the DPF reaches zero, integrated over some period of time. If the truck stops before it is completed, it will start again on the next drive cycle after the truck reaches operating temperature.

What's more, regen shuts off when the truck is in park, so idling the truck will only build up more soot in the DPF and make it take longer to complete the cycle.

Reactions: franktafl

·
296 Posts
Momentum is your friend.

I'd also add, dont press the throttle hard from stop, let it ease up to speed

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
One of the biggest killers of good fuel mileage is tire air pressure.....check your tires....and frequently.

·
274 Posts
I'd also add, dont press the throttle hard from stop, let it ease up to speed
Back when I used to squeeze every bit out of my 2001 Buick Regal 3.8l V6 I used to think easing onto the throttle was better. Until I came across an article that stated to go WOT until you were at desired speed. I tried it for a week, and got the best MPG I have ever seen out of that car.

The biggest trick was to never touch my brakes, and when I accelerated, I did it quickly and got it over with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts