Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I don't know if there are any other females out there in the market for a good hauling truck but I am definitely looking for one. I've been following this forum for months now and just now have decided to chime in because I too am wondering if this truck is going to fit the bill. I've been very excited about the Titan XD until I saw the MPG reading from the Car and Driver article link earlier. I went back to that link today and interestingly, they changed the MPG in their 566 mile drive that included 200 miles of towing from 12mpg to 15mpg. I did leave a comment asking about why that is and I don't know if I'll get a response. Also, am I wrong in assuming that most people posting on this forum haven't even seen the truck yet? I've been reading a lot of comments that some people think this truck is ugly but from a female's point of view, I've got to say that I think it's a sexy truck! Just sayin':wink2:. I've been "building" other trucks on the websites and can't quite come up with one that fits what I'm looking for (something that can tow around 9,000 lbs) with decent mpg's. It's frustrating and I think that's the problem with all of the different trucks out there. You either have to pick something kind of whimpy that can't haul much or pay out the nose for fuel. I was really hoping that the 5.0 would solve that. Interestingly, no one is really going into depth in their reviews on the real fuel mileage this truck is getting. For me, that is what it will come down to.

·
570 Posts
Hey Cruz welcome to the forums. Seems like a significant error for a publication like C&D. Looks are subjective but I agree it looks nice. Reviews have been spotty at best. Pretty much stuff you can get from a brochure. I am patiently waiting for an Ike Gauntlet review from tfltruck.com They are pretty good at going in depthbon the ride and power of the truck.

·
363 Posts
I agree about the reviews. It seems almost everyone had Nissan talking points as they all pretty much said the same thing. And there wasn't much significant mpg information. Perhaps Nissan limited time and areas of travel so more journalists could evaluate it. A more accurate fuel economy test would be time consuming with hundreds of miles over a round-trip circuit while catching a regeneration cycle. And of course most want to see mpg while towing.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The video was promising that showed a 17.6 mpg after driving in various tests for an entire day. Interesting too that Nissan would only allow their own tech to drive the truck while towing. Someone needs to put a trailer on this truck and drive it for a day then publish the results. It seems like Nissan is reluctant to allow that to happen and that makes me wonder why. Really liking everything else about this truck and I don't mind the extra weight if it's a stable tow.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to Ward's Auto test drive of the Titan XD, they towed 9,000 lbs on a hilly highway and returned only 9.6 mpg. After off-roading and driving around town, they returned 13.8 mpg. Of course we don't know variables such as speed or just how much off-roading they did. The off-road driving kills mileage. I hate that towing number though. It doesn't sound like a 20% improvement to me unless they were flooring it the entire time. If diesel costs are 20% more than gas, that nullifies any fuel savings. Here's the article, it's 4 pages long:
http://wardsauto.com/test-drives/we-ve-been-here-not-cummins?page=2

·
214 Posts
If you have the luxury of waiting, there is no reason to sway one way or the other about this truck until you test drive it with your own trailer...

·
570 Posts
They mentioned 750 miles for each gallon in the 4.5 gallon def tank. So about 3300 miles between def refills. Is this typical of new diesels?

·
313 Posts
According to Ward's Auto test drive of the Titan XD, they towed 9,000 lbs on a hilly highway and returned only 9.6 mpg. After off-roading and driving around town, they returned 13.8 mpg. Of course we don't know variables such as speed or just how much off-roading they did. The off-road driving kills mileage. I hate that towing number though. It doesn't sound like a 20% improvement to me unless they were flooring it the entire time. If diesel costs are 20% more than gas, that nullifies any fuel savings. Here's the article, it's 4 pages long:
http://wardsauto.com/test-drives/we-ve-been-here-not-cummins?page=2
Unless you have a reference point that mileage number means nothing. Like you say: too many variables.

But where did they get this?:
A standard exhaust brake lets the engine help with decelerating, preventing wear on the disk brakes at all four corners.
Elsewhere we've heard there's no exhaust brake implemented. Totally confused ...

Maybe this article is garbage. They later talk about the 5.5 ft bed?? That hasn't come out yet.

And thanks for the link!

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are right! They do have misinformation in that article - good catch. I think I fell apart at the mileage. :) The fact that they didn't provide anything else in details regarding the towing speed seems kind of weird too.

·
363 Posts
If that figure will be confirmed it will be a disaster. Nissan will not sell this burner in huge numbers:surprise:
It's not stellar fuel economy but I think Nissan's trailer profile replicated a large frontal area tow hauler.

Admittedly it seems the XD's consumer target base gets smaller and smaller as the #'s are released.

·
857 Posts
If that figure will be confirmed it will be a disaster. Nissan will not sell this burner in huge numbers:surprise:
One thing i'll be on the look out for is what owners end up getting with it, but we have time to go till those start showing up in good numbers.

·
50 Posts
I'm thinking I'll lease an XD for a year, then see how it was, what options they 'upgrade' with and go from there.

Our old '04 Quest only has power sliding door on passenger side, because 'safety said not on drivers side' then in '05, wow, it was included on drivers side, lets sell more !!! So I suspect power sliding mirrors, and such, as an easy upgrades/options to be available on the following year.

Best thing ever was a mid 20's or younger kid proud of his '10+ (daddys money) BMW having a heated steering wheel, and I said, oh, really, my '04 maxima had that too.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ward's review has been updated now with a video as well. Apparently, they drove a total of 785 miles and were getting 16-18mpg. Towing, they were returning 9.6 mpg towing 9,000 lbs with 800 lbs in the bed, so basically almost 10,000 lbs at 70 mph (pretty fast towing) this was on a freeway that was hilly as well. I believe I would be more comfortable at 60mph if I were on hills, but that's just me. The on road/off road combined came in at 13.8 mpg. Off-roading can often be worse for mileage than towing. These numbers are not that far off from what I would be expecting out of this truck. Considering my Tundra was only getting just barely over 6mpg towing on hills and couldn't seem to get past 50 mph uphill, this truck will be a HUGE improvement. Several reviews also said that the truck has shown over 20mpg on the highway which is on par with my Tundra's typical mileage.

·
56 Posts
As a point of reference, my F150 6.2L max tow 4x4 screw with 5.5' bed will get 10.8-11 mpg pulling 7000lbs in an enclosed tandem box trailer. This is typical doing 70mph on i40 in NM which is covered in hills.

I was expecting maybe 14 for the cummins. If the 9.6 is real then that's not too good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts