Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
363 Posts
I looked at the those Nissan test trailers used in Kingman, Az again. They don't look too big if trying to replicate a large tow hauler. They look relatively tall for a bumper pull but narrow, maybe 7.5 ft, much narrower than an 8.5' wide-body, bumper pull, toy hauler.

·
59 Posts
Its been a while since anyone has posted on this thread so I'll drop my two cents worth in.

I have a Titan XD with about 560km on it.
Its averaging about 14L/100km or 20.17mpg (UK). Very little Hwy, stop and go 5 mile runs and generally Cold.
I have seen 12L/100km or 23.54mpg (UK) on a short Hwy run.
Truck was empty in both cases.

From these numbers I'd guess that a good long highway run would show improved numbers.

I'll be doing an 8-12k kilometer run this coming July with an 8k travel trailer in tow.
That should show what the truck is capable of and serve to break it in.
Then we'll see what sort of mileage we can expect of these machines.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of mileage increase could be expected after the diesel has had a chance to break in?

Zurc

·
203 Posts
Have any of you xd owners ever used the fuelly app? Last I looked there was only one xd on there. It would be easy to see mileage differences if some of the owners on here would join. Just a thought.....

Edit...I just checked and there are 2 xd owners on fuelly. 1 averaging 14.4 and the other 15.7.

·
59 Posts
I almost forgot to mention, I'm almost into the refill DEF mark on the gage.
Apparently, its going to be a pig for DEF. Hopefully it will improve over time. If not, I'll make it a point to complain to Nissan.

Zurc.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Your dealer didn't top up the def tank from new. I have put one jug in 8000km but it was topped up before rolling off the lot.

·
1,979 Posts
I almost forgot to mention, I'm almost into the refill DEF mark on the gage.
Apparently, its going to be a pig for DEF. Hopefully it will improve over time. If not, I'll make it a point to complain to Nissan.

Zurc.
No reason to complain to nissan,
#1 : It's not their motor & Exhaust Systems
#2 : Doing mostly short trips is going to cause a lot more DEF usage. These motors & exhaust treatment systems NEED to be worked & get Hot.

·
1,979 Posts
Its been a while since anyone has posted on this thread so I'll drop my two cents worth in.

Its averaging about 14L/100km or 20.17mpg (UK). Very little Hwy, stop and go 5 mile runs and generally Cold.

From these numbers I'd guess that a good long highway run would show improved numbers.

I'll be doing an 8-12k kilometer run this coming July with an 8k travel trailer in tow.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of mileage increase could be expected after the diesel has had a chance to break in?

Zurc
Roughly 2 mpg's give or take, but diesels don't get broken in until around 20k miles. Best thing you can do is work the Sh!t out of it as quickly as possible.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
As stated in another thread mine is pretty content at 12L/100km or right around 20 U.S. mpg. 70% hwy and 30% town. I have over 8000km. I don't think it's going to improve drastically, I'm expecting more of a change once winter diesel is switched.

·
658 Posts

Zurc
For clarity 20.17 mpg UK = 16.80 mpg US
23.54 mpg UK = 19.60 mpg US

·
6 Posts
Mileage w/5.0 XD Plat/Resv.

I bought my XD Plat/Res 3/11/16. On the way home from dealer, it registered 6 mpg with only 20 miles on it. Yesterday I towed 2 horses for the day in Colorado at about 6000' elev. and got about 13.5 mpg (tows great though). It now has 1400 miles on it and I'm creeping up on 18ish.
My only hyway trip registered an agonizing 17 -18 mpg.
I will keep you informed.

PS: it used 2 1/2 gallons DEF so far!!! yikes.:frown2:

·
59 Posts
So..... here we all are, miles down the road.
Before my turbo started acting up, no load averaged about 14L/100km not much hwy. 3 trips of 14000km each with 27' trailer and close to max weight in the back of the truck averaged 21L/100km.
DEF was fairly steady at 1000km per fill up. That was before Nissan had to change out my DEF system so that was on the 2.5gal tank.
The turbo started acting up and I've noticed average around town was 18L/100km.
Wishing Nissan had opted for the 6.7L diesel as in my opinion, it would likely have made better mileage while hauling.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts