Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mishimoto’s Nissan Titan XD Silicone Induction Hose R&D

2016+ Nissan Titan XD Silicone Induction Hose R&D, Part 1: Design Plans

We’re on a roll with new Titan XD project development! In addition to our plans for improving the factory intake, we have decided to implement an upgrade that is simple and awesome. What we’d like to do here is develop a silicone intake hose that will replace the factory intake tube.

The factory intake tube is a well-designed piece, but it has room for improvement. For instance, we can increase the volume of air that flows through the tube, which will only benefit this 5.0L Cummins turbo diesel. The factory piece will be comparatively restrictive in size when compared with our planned design.

This would be ideal for those who want to squeeze a bit more power out of their Titan XD, but would rather not replace the entire intake system. Along with the potential for more power output, it will also be a visual upgrade, improving the aesthetics of the engine bay.

Let’s take a look at the factory tube.

The factory intake tube itself is pretty straightforward. There are no attachments or ports directly on the tube, with many of our other intake projects, so our tube design will not be as invasive. The first section of the tube is made from a plastic, which leads into an accordion style boot that attaches to the turbo. We have seen this type of design before on stock vehicle applications and we’ve found that the interior of an accordion style elbow boot can result in mildly turbulent and inefficient airflow when compared to a smooth, straight-through design.

Eliminating this and incorporating a one-piece silicone tube that will be smooth all the way through will be a priority. Increasing the size of the tube can also help with flow, and we plan to test for this. It’s important that silicone induction hoses keep their shape under suction; otherwise, any misshaping will result in inconsistent airflow that could also result in power loss and overall poor engine performance. Our engineer, Dan, knows this all too well, so to avoid this situation, he plans to reinforce the hose with steel wire to keep adequate rigidity.

What’s Next?

Now that we have a clear plan of attack for this Titan XD upgrade, we have to put that plan into action. Our engineers have begun their design process and computer modeling for a prototype. Once we get the prototype modeled, we can begin our testing phase of this project.

-Diamaan

·
165 Posts
Have always loved Mishimoto intake induction hoses ! Always top quality, very smooth inside, sturdy. Can't wait for this to finish

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2016+ Nissan Titan XD Silicone Induction Hose R&D, Part 2: The Working Prototype

Some exciting developments are brewing in the world of induction hoses! We recently received into our R&D facility our first shipment of samples for the 2016+ Nissan Titan XD, and they are all looking great.

Our tube’s design is not overly complex, and it will be an awesome addition to the engine bay of this Cummins-powered Nissan. The design of the factory tube is interesting because of the type of bend it has. The orientation of the airbox opening does not have an even plane for a straight-through design that can just loop over to the throttle body. The opening angles out a bit, facing more in the direction of the truck’s firewall. What results is an interesting loop that will force the hose to circle around the top of the oil filter. Check out an image of the factory system below.

Our goals with this project were to aesthetically improve what is underneath the hood and to smooth out the area through which the airflow travels. Making installation a breeze by keeping this part easy and straightforward to install was also important. The tubing is made with five-layer silicone that will be reinforced with steel wire to prevent misshaping under vacuum. Also getting rid of that accordion-style elbow will help slightly improve airflow consistency with a smoother surface.

That’s not all…we received several hoses in our sample shipment and I’m happy to share them with you now! This kit will come with your choice of red, black or blue hose. Check out the colors below.

What's Next?

We have already put plenty of miles on the car, and we are sure that no codes will be thrown and that the hose will indeed stay secure, which is important because of the vertical throttle body. Engine torqueing can affect things a bit more here. Not bad for our first truck-specific induction hose! This product will be fast tracked to release, and our presale will go live very soon – stay tuned!

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey everyone!

Who doesn't like free stuff? How about free truck parts? That's exactly what we are going to do with this 2016+ Nissan Titan XD Induction Hose.

All you have to do is simply click on the image below, fill out the short form, and keep your fingers crossed! We will be running this for several weeks and the winner will be chosen at random. We haven't yet confirmed a date for when a winner will be announced, but as soon as we figure that out, this thread will be updated.

Good luck everyone!

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
Hey everyone!

Who doesn't like free stuff? How about free truck parts? That's exactly what we are going to do with this 2016+ Nissan Titan XD Induction Hose.

All you have to do is simply click on the image below, fill out the short form, and keep your fingers crossed! We will be running this for several weeks and the winner will be chosen at random. We haven't yet confirmed a date for when a winner will be announced, but as soon as we figure that out, this thread will be updated.

Good luck everyone!
I submitted as a 1997 Nissan pickup, as you have no titan xd option

·
1,265 Posts
Did mine, no submission confirmation though

Did mine as a 2016 titan XD....

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apologies for the confusion guys! That should be fixed now. You can go ahead an select your 2016 Titan XD!

·
1,300 Posts
Other than adding colour to the engine bay did that hose add any benifit to HP/TQ???

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Other than adding colour to the engine bay did that hose add any benifit to HP/TQ???
This induction hose is more of a supporting modification. We are making a performance intake for this truck (which we have started working on) and we intend to make power with that.

Although this product was not a power producing piece, it has the potential to improve airflow with the smoother tube design and make the engine bay aesthetics stand out a bit more!

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any updates on when these will be available for purchase? Thanks
Yes! We are actually going to choose a winner at random very soon, so stay tuned for the announcement that will happen later this week. After the announcement, this Induction Hose will be ready for purchase. So by the end of the week, expect to see this product on our website. This thread will also be updated with the product page when it goes live.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey everyone,

We have picked a random winner! Thank you to everyone who participated. For everyone else who did not get drawn, don't worry - we are sending out some coupon codes to everyone that joined our email list for this truck. Keep an eye on your inbox! Also, with our giveaway now over, we that marks the release of this product! Go to our product page at this link. Thanks again!

·
430 Posts
I just purchased a red induction hose. The customer service was excellent. I already have an pro dry S drop in filter, and I am looking forward to pairing it with the induction hose. I am not looking for massive power gains, but with this setup, I am hoping to achieve increased cold airflow for a reasonable price with the ability to quickly and easily go back to stock induction. I can already hear louder turbo spool up with the pro dry S filter so I am hoping that the hose will increase it even further, not to mention it looks pretty slick! Also, until a DPF/EGR delete is introduced, I will hold off on a cold air intake. Are you guys planning on redoing the air box as a stand alone part, or will you be creating a cold air intake? Just curious

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just purchased a red induction hose. The customer service was excellent. I already have an pro dry S drop in filter, and I am looking forward to pairing it with the induction hose. I am not looking for massive power gains, but with this setup, I am hoping to achieve increased cold airflow for a reasonable price with the ability to quickly and easily go back to stock induction. I can already hear louder turbo spool up with the pro dry S filter so I am hoping that the hose will increase it even further, not to mention it looks pretty slick! Also, until a DPF/EGR delete is introduced, I will hold off on a cold air intake. Are you guys planning on redoing the air box as a stand alone part, or will you be creating a cold air intake? Just curious
Hey @Tfswildfire,

Thanks for the purchase. I'm sure that you will enjoy it! That setup should pair nicely with this new Cummins, and we'd be delighted to see some video. We definitely heard a slight bump in sound when tested our induction hose. We have actually begun working on a full intake kit! Although progress is taking longer than expected, we are still working on it!

·
124 Posts
Hey @Tfswildfire,

We have actually begun working on a full intake kit! Although progress is taking longer than expected, we are still working on it!
Any update on this? AFE claims +9whp / +15wtq on their dyno, to the wheels.

I'll be looking to purchase an intake here soon but would like to see what you're going to offer and hear from you about actual results?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts