Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’ve been doing a lot of towing in the south and this heat wave has me running hotter than I like ( around 210), I would like to run that t stat that opens at 180 instead of our factory crap that opens at over 200. Anybody else running one with out issue???? Thanks guys for any help

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are exactly who I wanted to hear from, I thought you was running one. Thankyou, I’m ordering mine tonight. Is it a pretty easy swap? Where is our T stat located?

·
1,297 Posts
It’s easy to swap its right up front, closer to drivers side. Buy some coolant because you’re gunna lose it when you pop the old tstat out. I think most of the coolant loss comes from the coolant tank just draining out.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
838 Posts
Wow, you guys actually think putting a lower temp thermostat is a good thing?

The engine makes more efficient power when hot, you get less soot and the fuel is less likely to condense on the cylinder walls.

If you want to actually do something helpful for your cooling system, run a premium coolant like cat elc.

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, you guys actually think putting a lower temp thermostat is a good thing?

The engine makes more efficient power when hot, you get less soot and the fuel is less likely to condense on the cylinder walls.

If you want to actually do something helpful for your cooling system, run a premium coolant like cat elc.
So you really think running 210-220 while towing in 110* heat is good for it? Calm down bro, I see all your techno babble on here making it more than it is. I promise dropping 20* ain’t going to hurt shit

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s easy to swap its right up front, closer to drivers side. Buy some coolant because you’re gunna lose it when you pop the old tstat out. I think most of the coolant loss comes from the coolant tank just draining out.
I already bought a jug just in case lol.

·
838 Posts
So you really think running 210-220 while towing in 110* heat is good for it? Calm down bro, I see all your techno babble on here making it more than it is. I promise dropping 20* ain’t going to hurt shit
You keep promising, but all you’re doing is proving you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Yes, running 210-220 with the engine under full load is not only fine, but better for the combustion process and arguably the engine as well.

Do you know that water, not coolant, but water alone, the boiling point raises to almost 260F at 15psig? Cat ELC, the coolant of my personal choice, boils at ~270F @ 15psig.

So why don’t you learn something instead of spreading around incorrect information. If you really want to open your eyes, look into why most of the high performance 5.9Ls removed the stock 180 in favour of a 210.

·
733 Posts
210-220 is perfectly fine and will not harm anything.

The ECM will reduce the power output of the motor if it detects the temperature getting too high.

Reactions: Two Yeets and cajun

·
4 Posts
Hey guys, I’ve been doing a lot of towing in the south and this heat wave has me running hotter than I like ( around 210), I would like to run that t stat that opens at 180 instead of our factory crap that opens at over 200. Anybody else running one with out issue???? Thanks guys for any help
Check your coolant level, and make sure you have no air in your coolant lines. This is what worked for me:

When cold, pop off the radiator cap located near the front / drivers side of the truck. not the resevior. Fill water into that location until the water level starts to come up in the resevior. Replace cap. When warm but before hot, gently break the seal to let escaping steam / vapor. <-- Be very careful here. All you need to do is crack the seal, not remove it, then close it back up as soon as it / if it starts spitting. If the engine is too hot and / or you have allowed the cap free of it's catch, you're in for a nasty time.

The cause we discovered later is a leak was developing at the EGR cooler where it met the block. If you're having high temps, you may want to consider a proactive trip to the Mech. Best of luck.

·
65 Posts
So with the question of whether a lower t stat is worth it or not, or does not allow the engine to operate properly... Has anybody installed a lower temp t stat and had an issue because of it or seen any harm at all after install? I keep seeing guys say the engine is designed to run above 200 and it's not good to run a lower t stat, but I can't find any negatives. I've only seen positives.

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So with the question of whether a lower t stat is worth it or not, or does not allow the engine to operate properly... Has anybody installed a lower temp t stat and had an issue because of it or seen any harm at all after install? I keep seeing guys say the engine is designed to run above 200 and it's not good to run a lower t stat, but I can't find any negatives. I've only seen positives.
No other diesel runs this hot

·
838 Posts
Please, please do some reading.

There is no benefit going to a lower temperature thermostat, only draw backs. If your engine is overheating, something else is wrong with it. Diagnose the problem and then fix it. @cajun posted his own data logs that proved my point. If your termostat is cycling you've got cooling capacity to spare.

The combustion process is more efficient at elevated engine temperatures.

Here are some important points that can't be disputed:

The higher the temperature delta, the more energy that is transferred from high to low. The lower the temperature delta, the less energy that is transferred from high to low. In a properly maintained cooling system at full operating pressure, the boiling point of the coolant is in the 260F area. That gives you a working range of 60F with a 200F thermostat. At 200F the radiator will transfer more heat energy to ambient than at 180F. At 200F less combustion gases will condense against the engine walls (I wonder what the dew point of the combustion gases is).

I can't stress this enough: If you're overheating, something else is wrong with the engine. Either too much power, or something wrong with the coolant or an air bubble, whatever. Get it out of your head that a fixed temperature matters. It doesn't. What matters, is the coolant boiling or not. As long as the coolant is not boiling, there isn't an issue. Within reason. If you're sitting right at 260F, other fluids might not like being that hot. If your thermostat is cycling and your data logs show that, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Save the money you waste on a low temp thermostat for when it's time to replace the coolant. That's more important.

·
838 Posts
No other diesel runs this hot
Running a higher standing temperature may help prevent thermal cycling in dissimilar metals, like the aluminium cylinder heads. We had to regularly do slip joints and exhaust manifold studs on the mercedes v12 because the heads moved so much. Most of the jobs we did with that engine never got it up to full operating temperature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts