Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part 1: Stock Evaluation

Our Titan XD has been poked and prodded, and the next upgrade we are working on is a DPF-back exhaust. Before we begin development, we like to take a peek at the stock version to determine which upgrades we can make to the design. Our first observation was that this exhaust is, well, plain. Not to worry; our goal is to spice up the design a bit to give this Titan more to show off.

Stock Titan XD Exhaust

Stock Titan XD Exhaust

You will have to excuse the mud coating on the bottom of our XD. All we can say is the team enjoyed “testing” the Titan’s suspension maybe a bit too much.

Mishimoto's Titan XD

Directly under the Titan is a rather large catalytic converter bolted to the diesel particulate filter (DPF). This takes up a large portion of the exhaust system, and we want to leave it intact for emissions reasons.

Stock Titan XD Exhaust

Stock Titan XD Exhaust

The section that we intend to replace is the piping after the DPF that extends from the back of the Titan. We will design a replacement for the piping section that clamps to the DPF and has a much better looking exhaust tip than stock.

Stock Titan XD Exhaust

Coming Up!

Next up is a look at how we fabricate our exhaust, as well as a look at our unique plan for the tip section. Until then, sound off in the comments section and let us know what you would like to see created for the Titan XD.

Stay Tuned!
-Sara

·
129 Posts
If they say they'll be performance gains I can't wait to here there explanation on how it's possible! I just bought an mbrp tip and called it good until the programmers start showing up with delete kits.

·
857 Posts
Would be great if there was a baseline dyno run and even one after to see the difference made with real numbers that dyno charts produce.

·
82 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, but I have a hard time seeing how changing the exhaust beyond the biggest restriction in the exhaust system will yield any performance gain. I'd love to have my thoughts proved wrong though.

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they say they'll be performance gains I can't wait to here there explanation on how it's possible! I just bought an mbrp tip and called it good until the programmers start showing up with delete kits.
Are there any realistic expectations for performance gains, or is it just for looks?
Would be great if there was a baseline dyno run and even one after to see the difference made with real numbers that dyno charts produce.
I'm no expert by any means, but I have a hard time seeing how changing the exhaust beyond the biggest restriction in the exhaust system will yield any performance gain. I'd love to have my thoughts proved wrong though.
Unfortunately, as you all have stated, gains with just this modification alone are doubtful. The main benefit would be looks compared to the stock exhaust. We are working on getting some baseline dyno runs for our intake project, so stay tuned!

-Sara

·
1,979 Posts
It's just for looks & chances are it will give Nissan a warranty out if there is some kind of exhaust related issue.

·
78 Posts
If Nissan doesn't endorse or sell the parts that you all want to put on any of their production vehicles.. why the frick would you expect them to warranty a modified unit.. I have Bullydog and Stillen on my trucks and both were purchased at a Nissan Dealer... I have no worries about warranty...

So if you think Nissan needs a "warranty out"... don't give it to them.. otherwise it's "buyer beware"

·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If Nissan doesn't endorse or sell the parts that you all want to put on any of their production vehicles.. why the frick would you expect them to warranty a modified unit.. I have Bullydog and Stillen on my trucks and both were purchased at a Nissan Dealer... I have no worries about warranty...

So if you think Nissan needs a "warranty out"... don't give it to them.. otherwise it's "buyer beware"
It's just for looks & chances are it will give Nissan a warranty out if there is some kind of exhaust related issue.
I can't wait till my warranty is up on ours.... it's getting redone.
The way we are designing our current exhaust should not void your warranty as it does not change anything about the DPF or catalytic converter. For now, this seemed like the best option for this brand-new truck.

-Sara

·
1,979 Posts
The way we are designing our current exhaust should not void your warranty as it does not change anything about the DPF or catalytic converter. For now, this seemed like the best option for this brand-new truck.

-Sara[/QUO
No Disrespect but "Shouldn't" & "Guaranteed not too" is not a strength line.

·
1,979 Posts
If you're really worried about it, consult with your regular dealer first before purchasing ?
The only problem with that is in the case of something major breaking & Nissan gets involved, it won't matter what the dealer said. The manufacturers are always going to win.

·
129 Posts
Man there must be some bad experiences out there but to say the manufacturer cops out every time looking for any sort of scape goat is false. I've done a ton of tuning to my 07 Titan, an 08 diesel f350 and a 14 f150 all were still under warranty and all had there own individual problems. Not once did I have Nissan or Ford try to "stick it to me" . I'm not worried at all about certain performance upgrades and and alterations as I don't consider myself lucky it hasn't happened to me I consider it to be the norm around here(Calgary). My friends have had similar experiences and nothing that would worry me in the least! Just my 2 cents

·
430 Posts
Man there must be some bad experiences out there but to say the manufacturer cops out every time looking for any sort of scape goat is false. I've done a ton of tuning to my 07 Titan, an 08 diesel f350 and a 14 f150 all were still under warranty and all had there own individual problems. Not once did I have Nissan or Ford try to "stick it to me" . I'm not worried at all about certain performance upgrades and and alterations as I don't consider myself lucky it hasn't happened to me I consider it to be the norm around here(Calgary). My friends have had similar experiences and nothing that would worry me in the least! Just my 2 cents
Nissan will void a warranty in a heartbeat and they don't have to "prove" anything.

·
165 Posts
I agree ^^ I mean if you went full blown with ecu tuning and forced induction applications and something went really wrong, I can see them denying that. But for something minor like some exhaust work that'll have no effect on anything serious. I highly doubt it

·
129 Posts
Not in my case they didn't, every problem I had with my 07 Titan was fixed promptly with 24's and major suspension work so in this case(and as I said in many others with my Ford vehicles) the statement that they'll void your warranty in a heartbeat is false. As I said in previous posts some may have bad experiences but to say they'll void your warranty in a heartbeat is not going to happen unless you go crazy on the tuning.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts