Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

MotorKote & Hotshots FR3

10K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Hoofer 
#1 ·
Has anyone else tried MotorKote or Hotshots Secret FR3? Both are suppose to increase your fuel mileage by reducing friction, MotorKote has been around a long time, not sure about FR3. This is Wifey's farm truck, 2017 Titan XD S, I'm just the farmer's husband... who pays for her hobbie$.

We've tried both. 30k miles, added MotorKote. MotorKote gave us over 10k miles, a 1.0-1.5 MPG increase, from low 18 MPG to 18.8 to 19.xx MPG, combined city-highway driving. On just highway, we're solid into the +19.x MPG. MotorKote's claim to fame was ...and so I decided to try it - quite happy with the results too! MotorKote says it is a Friction Reducer, not an additive, 3x stronger and lasts 4x longer than other brands, and what also got my attention, 'Helps protect from oil starvation at start up' - oh, yeah, I've got personal experience with that!

Changed the oil at 40k miles, added Hotshots Secret FR3. Mileage dropped back to mid 17.x's MPG, and about 47k, like magic, started climbing again, now we're in the high 18.x's again. FR3 claims to increase fuel economy up to 5%, reduce wear up to 43% (if using Shell Rotella), and improve oxidative stability, restore lost compression. (WOW! That's some pretty bold claims, IMO). I emailed the company, asking WTF is with this loss in fuel economy, was not impressed at all with their answer. Still, the MPGs was improving, slowly, so it DID help.

We were checking and recording MPGs with actual miles driven/gallons added, etc., against the MPG reported by the truck, it has always been nearly dead on, no more off than .1 MPG. After 7-8 tank fulls, we still record the odometer on the diesel receipts (for accuracy reference), but just go by the truck's reporting.
Since we just changed oil again, and we got plenty of both... and it says it's good for everything from power steering pumps, transmissions & crank case... eh, we're gonna "do it all" this time. Running the AC burns .5 MPG. Replacing the noisy Firestone tires it came with - some cheap tires with smother tread & a HUGE increase in traction, less noise, made zero difference in fuel MPGs... it sticks to the road & doesn't spin the tires at stoplights (when empty).

Wifey, as a habit, does not use the cruise control, I always use it..15mi into town, it's on - she just pumps the pedal like it's a bike or something. That was until she asked, "How are you getting 1-2 MPG better than ME? and you practically smoke the tires getting up to speed?" She drives like Grandma. Now she drives like a lust for raw power, and uses the cruise, she's getting better MPGs and having more fun.

Has anyone else tried this kinda stuff to squeeze better mileage out of their Titan XD with the Cummings 5.0 engine?

See less See more
#2 ·
When I was younger and the economy was bad I was working a low paying job and driving far for it. The only car I had a was a 2001 buick regal 3.8L v6 so I started reading in to how to 'hypermile' a car. End of the day I figured out that from a stop light I would hammer down and get up to speed as quickly as possible, never gain speed up a hill unless required, and avoid the brakes anywhere possible. I pulled 32.5 MPG out of that car, which is pretty good considering that my house is over 2000 feet higher in elevation than my job was.

As for additives, I haven't tried anything in my Titan yet. But in my old S10 I put some 'NMF Ionic Friction Reducer' in it, I will atest to the fact that it did make that truck run smoother, much much smoother. When I purchased the truck it had a very bad vibration at an idle, you could hear it inside and out and the entire truck shook. Just moments after adding the NMF it smooth out substantially. I didnt really drive the truck too much prior to adding the NMF because it blew a head gasket 400 miles after I purchased it, so I can't say how much it increases the MPG.

#4 ·
(sorry I missed this, kinda in the mileage thread too)
It's more than semantics, IMO, whether or not it pays off in fuel efficiency and less wear n tear, I don't know.

I've never tried Amsoil. What was your MPG before and since? I've only got FR3 & MotorKote by comparison, over 20k miles, both have been a noticeable improvement, driving the same roads, up and down the hills and flat runs. I should also note, IMO these synthetic oils might take a a little longer to break in an engine than 500mi running conventional oil. Our fuel economy didn't really settle in, before 10k...

#6 ·
Talked to an Amsoil dealer this weekend at a gun show... mentioned what you said, essentially a 10% increase in fuel economy, "Well, we're not going to guarantee that!" We're going to try it, since he's 2 blocks away from work.

Why bother? When I find the best improvement, we'll stick with it... sort of like which ammo shoots best/accurately per gun. Find the right combo and run with it.

Hotshots Secret FR3 is dissappointing. We're currently running it, and I'm seriously considering draining and replacing filters, oil, with less than 2k on this last change. Fuel economy is slowly falling, like the effects of the MotorKote are wearing off, and FR3 MPG increase was just an anomaly. We've been running #2 diesel the almost entire time, doubt #1 vs #2 had anything to do with this. Amsoil is next on the list.

#7 ·
My thing is more the quality and less carbon buildup and plaque inside engine and cylinders. Longevity and maintaining engine in a more like new status will help a little with mpg and alot if goal is to make the 500k mile mark like i want to. Those old ranchers amd farmers with the 20 year old truck and tons of miles are cool as heck imo

The history of Amsoil starting from a pilot looking to create an oil capable of keeping military jets in the air and pilots from dying is a remarkable story too.

#8 ·
Here is my two cents. Yes I have used Amsoil products in gassers and my 5.0 I now have 70,000 on the 5.0 and oil samples with every oil change. Amsoil has delivered excellent results on and in all categories of all my samples . I do not have a by pass filtration installed. All test results have shown a 0.2soot level with stock filter. That being said I still will install a by pass system in the future.

#11 ·
Our recent trip, with Hotshots Secret FR3 ... was disappointing
_odo____miles____gallons____mpg___lie-o-meter
53548____0_______full
53913___365_____20.45_____17.8___18.2 (tires -5lbs)
54259___346_____21.25_____16.2___16.2 (tires at spec)
54692___433_____23.88_____18.0___16.4
55073___381_____20.52_____18.5___16.7

Total__________1525mi___86.1gal____17.7mpg actual__16.7mpg-per-truck
AC running nearly all the time, tire pressure at spec

The "gain" we're getting from FR3 is about .5 mpg overall better on this oil change at 50k
For the previous oil change, averaged 17.8 mpg with FR3 added before 50k oil change.
AC running nearly all the time, tire pressure -5lbs below spec.

#12 ·
Sorry, wifey handed me the rest of the receipts, so I edited and recompiled the list.
The truck lie-o-meter ended with 16.7, actual MPG for the 2526 trip (calculated) is 17.4MPG

ODO____Miles__Gal____MPG
52547____0 start-of-trip
52954___394___23.4___16.8
53348___433___23.0___18.8
53548___200___12.4___16.6
53913___365___20.4___17.9
54259___346___21.2___16.3
54692___433___23.9___18.1
55073___381___20.5___18.6

Totals
End___2526mi__144.8__17.4 MPG average

My goal is still the same, 20MPG, Hotshots Secret FR3 isn't doing it. Next oil/filter change is to AMSOIL @ 60Kmi.

The trip was from So. Virginia, over the Appalachian Mountains to Wisconsin and back (with a few side trips along the way.) We were surprised the long flat Interstate didn't give us better fuel economy. Used the Cruise Control the entire trip!

#18 ·
Finally... at 81k we're trying Amsoil. Fuel mileage is always in the 17-18mpg range, a little less without additives.
We've been giving the oil / filters to the service techs... but, curiously, the last oil change dropped - like someone didn't put our stuff in, and put in whatever they had laying around (and took our oil home!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.