Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

MPG Question

5K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Sellitwv 
#1 ·
Why is it that my trip screen is showing that I am getting 23.3 MPG on the last few tanks I have gone through, but my actual MPG according to the MPG screen on the dash is showing only 14.6 MPG as I am driving? Can anyone explain the difference.

Thank you
Chris

#10 ·
The trip screen shows average for miles traveled, time traveled, and miles per hour, not miles per gallon. I have a gas Pro4X and there are way too many factors that affect individual current trip MPG. Long idles, starts and stops etc. I have never seen an average current trip MPG for my truck above 20, and that was 98% cruise at 68 mpg. The gauge bar graph thingy showed as high as 23 at times. My daily commute con sists of 6 miles one way to work through town, I'm averaging 13 MPG. I'll be doing a 800 mile interstate trip this weekend, we'll see what she does.

#13 ·
My plans to track mileage on the interstate was marred by construction delays, traffic stops and rain delays but here's what I learned, 180 miles at 75 to 88 MPH, 15.9 MPG. 40 miles at 74, 17.0 MPG. 65ish miles on highway, 68 MPH, 17.9 MPG. Mixed travel, 70 miles interstate/turnpike at 77 to 85 followed by 35 miles of through towns highway driving at 30 to 65 MPH with frequent stops, 16.2 MPG. Overall, based on previous identical trips made in my 04 2wd Titan, my Pro4X XD gets the same mileage as my old Titan, but rides OH SO MUCH NICER!!! The guy that rode with me is a die hard GM fan. He was actuall involved with the R&D for the DuraMax project when GM started that. He made the comment during the ride that the XD may make him switch brands.
Also, I got to use the 4x4 this weekend, worked flawlessly, and effortlessly. Front end had fallen into a washout on field edge, unable to blackout in 2wd, placed in 4 hi, eased on gas, no clunk, no jerk, just smooth lift of the front end up and out of ditch.

#14 · (Edited)
. . . 180 miles at 75 to 88 MPH, 15.9 MPG. 40 miles at 74, 17.0 MPG. 65ish miles on highway, 68 MPH, 17.9 MPG. Mixed travel, 70 miles interstate/turnpike at 77 to 85 followed by 35 miles of through towns highway driving at 30 to 65 MPH with frequent stops, 16.2 MPG . . .
I gave the Titan Cummins a very serious look earlier this year. Checked one out at a local dealer and loved the way it looked and drove. However, once I got the scoop on reported MPG's, payload (I needed 2k minimum), and no exhaust brake, unfortunately, had to pass for the time being.

I just don't understand why the 5.0 Cummin's is reporting about the same (and sometimes lower) MPG than the 2014-2016 6.7 Cummins. I've driven a number of late model 6.7's (all stock, unloaded) and it's fairly easy to get 18 mpg at a steady 80mph (no wind, flat, hand calculated). Drop down to 65mph and the MPG's jump up to 22 mpg. Highway MPG estimates for the 5.0 Cummins were initially reported to be in the low 20's. When I think highway, I think 75 mph; however, you're reporting 17.0 mpg at 74 mph.

#17 ·
My bad. I missed that.

Regardless, the anecdotal evidence I've been reading does seem to show the 5.0 Cummins MPG numbers have been a bit disappointing. The 3.0 Ecodiesel consistently gets 25-28 MPG at highway speeds (75-80 MPH). The 2014-2016 6.7 Cummins (SRW - single rear wheel), typically 17-18 MPG. It would have been nice to have had the 5.0 Cummins fall somewhere in the middle--like the low 20's. So far I'm hearing otherwise.

#16 ·
I would like to add that 600 lbs. in the bed on the way up had no affect on mpg, but took all the road hop out of the rear axle which really made the truck ride like a dream. Ride home was empty, noticed hop on concrete interstate with seams, had no hop on asphalt.

#19 ·
I do wish the fuel economy was a little better however the trucks ride is enough to make up for the deficient mpgs. The fuel numbers (of owners) all over the place are due to terrain and stop and go traffic. My commute even though it is mostly country does have a lot of hills and a stop sign or red light every 1 to 2 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.