Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just passed 50K miles on my 2017 XD with the 5.0 and a check engine light came on. Just that engine symbol in the tachometer, no other lights or warnings. I figured it wasnt too important as it wasnt flashing or giving any other warnings like it did when it lost an injector.

I kept driving a little bit and when I stopped to make a right turn it went into limp mode. I couldnt get above 10mph. Still no warnings or flashing lights.

I called Nissan roadside assistance and was trying to limp it home at the same time. I got about 4 miles in limp mode and as I'm just about home the center of my dash lights up red and says "engine shutdown mode activated, pull over safely now". Smoke starts rolling out of the back of the truck and then after 15 to 20 seconds it proceeds to shutdown. Nissan towed my vehicle to the dealership and I waited. I finally heard later the next day that they dont know what's happening. They say there were codes in there but they were from months ago and there were no codes from what just happened.

They cleared the codes and the truck ran fine. I picked it up that night. I was working the next day so I had been driving from job to job and halfway through the day I stopped by my house to drop something off. I came out to leave and immediately the cel came on and I was in limp mode again. Nissan told me to shut the truck off and open and close the door as this is supposed to get you out of limp mode. It worked and I took the truck up to them immediately. The cel is still on at this point. I did notice that if I try to put my foot down hard on the gas pedal that it spits and sputters and doesn't run right. But it made it the hour to the dealership.

I called today to see if they've found anything and they said it still isnt throwing any codes. The service manager said if they had to they'd fly Nissan engineers out to figure out what going on but I dont have much faith in that really happening. They have opened a case with Nissan and now we wait.

So after all that, my question is has anyone else had anything like this happen? Is there anything I can point them towards?

Thanks in advance!

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I just got an update from Nissan. They said that nissan corporate remotes in and found an actuator for the turbo that was showing a fail so they are going to replace that and see what it does. They dont seem very confident, but at least the truck is saying something!

·
7 Posts
Exact same thing happens to me. Mine usually happens when I been driving it for a while, I stop and turn truck off for about 10 odd minutes or so, then when I take back off again I'll come to a stop at a red light and boom limp mode. So far I been having luck cycling the engine a couple times, and it'll get it out of it, but the check engine light will stay on. Then eventually like a day later engine light will turn off. Then I won't have trouble for days, and then it'll do it again. I'm suppose to have it looked at tomorrow, so hopefully they have a handle on what it's doing by now.

·
1 Posts
Literally the same exact thing for me. I've just dropped it off today for the second time. Was running code p00af for me orgianlly they cleared it said it just needed update and couldn't get code to come on again Keeps going into limp mode for sitting at a stop lights. Pull over. Turn car off let sit for a min. Walk around truck frustrated get back in. Works fine.

2017 nissan titan xd pro

·
7 Posts
@Sunderland001 same code as mine. I since put 3000 miles on the truck without a problem since they fixed it. Show them my screen shot and hopefully the valve is your only issue as well. Just remember because of covid there is a massive shortage of parts for everything. Mine was down for almost two weeks just waiting on the part. Love the truck when it's up and running.

·
2016 Titan XD SL 4x4 Deleted/Tuned
44 Posts
So I have a little history with the P00AF code. I ended up unplugging the turbo actuator, then climbed up on motor and manually moved the actuator up and down making sure it was moving freely. I noticed the linkage did have some corrosion on it so I sprayed it down with lubricant. No codes since.

·
163 Posts
I may have the same problem on my 2018 SV. Driving home from Dallas last night I stopped for gas, and pulling out into the street the truck went into limp mode. I shut down the motor for a minute and started it again, and limp mode went away. The CEL was still on, but no warnings. I got home with no more issues, but I'm worried now.

·
44 Posts
I may have the same problem on my 2018 SV. Driving home from Dallas last night I stopped for gas, and pulling out into the street the truck went into limp mode. I shut down the motor for a minute and started it again, and limp mode went away. The CEL was still on, but no warnings. I got home with no more issues, but I'm worried now.
I would start with a scan. Get the codes for us.

·
44 Posts
I scanned it with Torque OBD. Historical Fault P00AF. The truck is still under warranty, so I'll probably report this to the dealer.
Certainly do so, but don't be surprised if there is a massive back order on that part. OEM parts for these trucks are few and far between right now.

If you can, I'd hop up on the motor, visually check the actuator. Unhook the battery, unplug the the actuator and move it up and down to make sure it moves freely. Check the linkage rod as well. I've seen corrosion on these that will hinder it's movement.

·
163 Posts
Certainly do so, but don't be surprised if there is a massive back order on that part. OEM parts for these trucks are few and far between right now.
Sure enough, the dealer says it's the turbo actuator, and it's on back order. The mechanic says it's safe to drive around while waiting for parts, but it may still lose power occasionally. Nissan says it's a power train issue, and only covered by Nissan for 30K miles and 36 months. My extended warranty covers the repair with a $100 deductible.

·
1 Posts
So my 2016 SL was having the same issues... had new turbos, injector#5 and fuel line, as well as the PCM replaced because the injector codes were all over the place causing a lifter type noise. All that fixed and a manual regen completed just for a light to still be on due to the bad swing valve control/boost control actuator. Parts still on national back order. My mechanic told me it's safe to drive for now because the light only comes on due to the computer not registering the the 12VDC from the actuator so it thinks the "exhaust filter is overloaded". Just have to sit and wait for the part.
In the meantime does anyone know where I can get my hands on a full DPF delete kit, exhaust pipe and control unit? This will prevent the stupid computers from doing this ever again lol. Dumb emissions people...

·
2 Posts
So I have a little history with the P00AF code. I ended up unplugging the turbo actuator, then climbed up on motor and manually moved the actuator up and down making sure it was moving freely. I noticed the linkage did have some corrosion on it so I sprayed it down with lubricant. No codes since.
I have a 2016 that just went into limp mode yesterday. Drove home turned off restarted now fine but concerned it may happen again. Does some know the turbo actuator is located? Have a picture?

·
44 Posts
I'm sure this is far too late, but the turbo actuator is located centrally on the back of the block. If you climbed up the passenger side of engine bay the actuator is at the 9 o'clock position. You'll see an arm with a rod attached to it. Cant miss it

·
2 Posts
I'm sure this is far too late, but the turbo actuator is located centrally on the back of the block. If you climbed up the passenger side of engine bay the actuator is at the 9 o'clock position. You'll see an arm with a rod attached to it. Cant miss it
Thanks! I found it shortly thereafter posting. Inspected the part turned freely no obstruction, no corrosion. Threw the PA00F code - confirmed was actuator. Finally replaced after waiting 6 weeks for the 752 units that were Nationally on back order for Nissan. I contacted Cummins and their local repair facility and they would not get the actuator until next year and the price was 80% more. Dealership helped me with price and install due to inconveniences of being down w/o repair options. Happy its back and running strong. Also found out that this model actuator I received is the third redesign of this part.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts