Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased Titan in October, was a dealer exchange from other dealer so no chance to fully inspect before delivery. On delivery truck had musty smell (270 miles on odometer). Thought it would go away and it did! First car wash and vacuum, pulled up floor mats, all wet under passenger side. Took to dealership for this and peeling dealer installed (original dealership installed) window tint. Dealer diagnosed wet carpet as blocked A/C drain and repaired.
Next big rain, musty smell again, checked under mats, wet carpet under passenger and drivers side. Took to dealership and they found the rear of cab was not sealed. Ordered new carpet, repaired seals, smell gone. Truck at dealership for two weeks.

Now, I’ve been on travel for work so first time since I’ve been back driving to work, with rain. Came out to truck to drive home, and return of musty smell, so I checked under floor mats, damp on drivers side, wet on passenger side. :frown2:

The dealer I purchased and had repairs done (good dealership) is not convenient to go to, so went to local dealership. Service rep asked what’s problem. Explained problem, they went out and yep, it’s wet. Do you want to drop it off and have a rental. Uh, not really. I like driving a truck and despise driving a car. Just wanted it documented so I can contact Nissan Corporate and review options. We can’t do that. At that point this dealer service wanted nothing to do with me. Great...so I contacted corporate today and they said bring back to dealership and get it documented. I’ll do that tomorrow.

Bottom line, love the truck BUT very disappointed this is going on. I’m very busy with work and don’t have time due to extensive travel associated with work and it’s not easy for me to have these kind of issues as this month I’ve only been home the past two days. All I want is a reliable well built truck, and I do believe I just got the un-lucky 1 in 10,000 truck. I would just like a replacement truck in the EXACT configuration I purchased in, and it was very difficult to find. 2018 XD gas, PRO-4X with no additional packages (love the PRO-4X non-leather seats!). Is that too much to ask, or should I let them try to repair one more time and replace the carpet, padding again?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Purchased Titan in October, was a dealer exchange from other dealer so no chance to fully inspect before delivery. On delivery truck had musty smell (270 miles on odometer). Thought it would go away and it did! First car wash and vacuum, pulled up floor mats, all wet under passenger side. Took to dealership for this and peeling dealer installed (original dealership installed) window tint. Dealer diagnosed wet carpet as blocked A/C drain and repaired.
Next big rain, musty smell again, checked under mats, wet carpet under passenger and drivers side. Took to dealership and they found the rear of cab was not sealed. Ordered new carpet, repaired seals, smell gone. Truck at dealership for two weeks.

Now, I’ve been on travel for work so first time since I’ve been back driving to work, with rain. Came out to truck to drive home, and return of musty smell, so I checked under floor mats, damp on drivers side, wet on passenger side. :frown2:

The dealer I purchased and had repairs done (good dealership) is not convenient to go to, so went to local dealership. Service rep asked what’s problem. Explained problem, they went out and yep, it’s wet. Do you want to drop it off and have a rental. Uh, not really. I like driving a truck and despise driving a car. Just wanted it documented so I can contact Nissan Corporate and review options. We can’t do that. At that point this dealer service wanted nothing to do with me. Great...so I contacted corporate today and they said bring back to dealership and get it documented. I’ll do that tomorrow.

Bottom line, love the truck BUT very disappointed this is going on. I’m very busy with work and don’t have time due to extensive travel associated with work and it’s not easy for me to have these kind of issues as this month I’ve only been home the past two days. All I want is a reliable well built truck, and I do believe I just got the un-lucky 1 in 10,000 truck. I would just like a replacement truck in the EXACT configuration I purchased in, and it was very difficult to find. 2018 XD gas, PRO-4X with no additional packages (love the PRO-4X non-leather seats!). Is that too much to ask, or should I let them try to repair one more time and replace the carpet, padding again?
Unlvawo, Greeetings,
Welcome, I have read your issues.. First, lets say this.. seems Dealerships go to the same school no matter the Mfg Make or Model. not all.
Good you contacted Corporate.. however my experience not with Nissan but Dealerships in general. They have guidelines that Corporate pretty much make them follow and I'm not here to support Dealerships. I'm here for your interest..
Let me ask you a question before I waste any more of your time or mine of yours..
Question: If and I know you already tried this, But here it goes. Here's the Hypothetical - If I fix the problem and Guarantee it, Would you keep the truck? If I told you or showed you where the problem is and how to fix it yourself.. would you keep the truck?
No games no tricks no reason, NOT asking this for personal gain.

Kind Regards,
Merry Christmas
Ric
Fueldog67
ps. Look forward to hear from you..

Attachments

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuel dog- yes if you can fix and guarantee that smell will be gone and it no longer leaks I’d keep this truck. If you showed me where the problem is and said fix it yourself, I’d say it’s our problem, mine in that I own the truck and yours that you (Nissan) offer a 5yr 100,000 mile warranty and well this truck is 3 months old and has 3,000 miles so, thank you for fixing it. But... I bought a brand new truck, and I really don’t want to be stuck with a Nissan Versa rental again for two+ weeks, and so 25% of the time I’ve owned this great truck I’ve been driving an Versa.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Unlvawo,
Your correct, first you should not have the issue..and Nissan + Dealership to resolve. Sometimes and again not on the Dealership side, but as a tech, working in that environment and I'm not. But understanding the environment for that position. There are time constraints and limitations in resolving this. Water leaks or entry can be very difficult to locate and resolve. I'm sure you know and understand this..Water due to capillary characteristics will track and follow paths that will make you think you found the problem, but only to discover it's not resolved.. Meaning the water is coming in from someplace else.
Just so you know I purchased one of the Xd's in pic I shared with you that was Totally Underwater, I mean over the top of the Cab for 3 days.. now that's Not the same as your issue.. But I can tell you this, if left to Dry Out, with out replacing any carpet, insulation, cloth seats headliner or anything of absorbing material Will Dry Out and No Musty smell. But it has to be Dried out.. and that is a long process.. when soaked that much.. Yours is much easier to dry out without replacing.. we will discuss that later on how. For now lets find the water issue.
So let's Stop the Water coming into the Cab,, then decide what you want to do about Drying it Out. or replacing absorbing materials..
I can assure you Nissan hates the issue at hand as much as you do.. It may not seem they do, but they do. They don't build and sell the Titan to PO customers..
I need few more details about your wetting issue... your post states that after first fix, which dealership repaired or replaced the Drain tube collector of the A/C in cab which drains to the outside because they found it to be leaking? is that correct?
Where are you located? don't need address just City..
Confirm your finding Dampness under Driver Floor mat and Water soaked under Front Passenger side floor mat?
Confirm your Rear Floor mats rug area is Dry? Damp or Wet and which side or both sides. You did mention about having driven in rain after you thought it was fixed and but after being in Rain found Wet again..
This issue Can be Resolved, two things we have to find Where the Water is coming From and Where it is entering..
Look forward to hearing back..

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ric-
Thanks for the help!

Yes, they replaced the A/C drain tube on first visit to dealership. I live in Georgia, just north of Atlanta. Rains pretty often.

Here is a bit more details, that I think may isolate the issue. Pretty un-scientific, but should help.

Since last major repair (first two weeks of November), where carpet was replaced, thought problem was fixed. It had rained hard and keeping my truck in the driveway (no driving), I checked for leaks, all dry. No smell (removed the factory all weather mats, as they picked up the musty odor also, and replaced with the carpeted mats).

Been out of country for two weeks, drove yesterday to work (35 miles) in good rain, got back in truck (after about 6 hours in parking garage so XD was covered) smelled the must, checked under floor at and pretty damp (passenger side only, drivers side dry, rear area dry). Light rain on drive home, took to dealership, reported problem for documentation of issue return. Went back to service manager this morning, told him all the above, he believes it could be the windshield or some how the way water drains off windshield may be the issue. Agree...documented, he will talk to corporate and call me back. I’m good with that!

Came home, dried carpet with towel best I could.

Now getting ready to get on the road to drive to Nashville.

Yes, going to the Titans game this afternoon. Taking my Titan to go to Nissan Stadium to watch the Titans. How cool is that?

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Sounds, good and from what you described.. glad your working with dealer.. sounds like Right Hand driver side entrance and windshield base area. the Cowling bezel area where the wipers located,, takes about 15-20 minutes to remove.. will give dealer tech full access to examine area where and how water is entering... this is on of the first places to look because once the Cowling is removed it opens up the body and windshield for a good examination.. and this is where water can accumulate, run and track to the right and left to enter into to cab..
Progress in the right direction..
Enjoy your Titan Game..
Ric
ps.. Thanks for sharing..

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, hard rain last night, water got in without driving so looks like the theory of water leak only when driving is out.

Nissan Corporate called, they’d like me to drop off truck with dealer. May do that this afternoon,

·
56 Posts
I had this issue with my 2017 Titan XD CTD. The carpet under the floor mat got wet some how, and molded and mildewed up really bad. You could smell it from over ten feet away when the truck was opened. After a lot of fighting and back and forth they replaced the carpet and front floor mats. Truck still smells old and musty, and now when I do drive it I get a sinus infection every time. (I only drive it once or twice a month for a day or two.) All of the seat and headliner fabric ,foam material, and HVAC ducting in the truck was contaminated by the mold, however the dealership says they have done all they can do. There was at least one other person on this forum that has had this same misfortune, and his dealership replaced everything in the interior. I would not settle for less unless you want to end up driving around in a truck that smells like a 20 year old work truck that has been rode hard and put up wet like me.

·
712 Posts
My neighbor had a Silverado like this.
After nearly a year of taking it back and forth to the shop Chevy bought it back.

They replaced the windshield seals, door seals, readjusted the doors several times, replaced the entire heat and A/C box and it still leaked. Think the carpet and padding were replaced three times.
There have been a few other XDs do this, some get fixed and some don't.

I hope yours gets taken care of properly.

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got the truck back last week. The dealership had found where the leak was coming from. The vapor shield on passenger side door was not fully sealed during the manufacturing process, so new shield installed. Took about two weeks. Hopefully this does the job and wet carpets go away. They did use some heavy de-odor process. Hopefully this gets rid of the moldy musty smell. Smells like a sweet cheep perfume now in the truck, and it is very strong. Hopefully when this smell wears out, I get a normal smelling vehicle that doesn’t leak!

·
2 Posts
My 2018 pro4x is leaking water where the door and body meet. The dealer replaced weatherstripping on the body side. I believe the water is suppose to roll off the door when closed and go into a wheatherstipping channel. I believe water is not doing this and somehow building to then leak into the side door. If the car is sitting while it rained, when I open the door, water drops down onto the side door panel. It also leaks into the panel while making turns. I've been to the dealer about 5+ times and they cant figure it out.

Attachments

·
569 Posts
My 2018 pro4x is leaking water where the door and body meet. The dealer replaced weatherstripping on the body side. I believe the water is suppose to roll off the door when closed and go into a wheatherstipping channel. I believe water is not doing this and somehow building to then leak into the side door. If the car is sitting while it rained, when I open the door, water drops down onto the side door panel. It also leaks into the panel while making turns. I've been to the dealer about 5+ times and they cant figure it out.
If, and this is a pretty unlikely event on a vehicle that hasn't been in an accident, but IF the body or door are tweaked just enough then the compression of the stock seal between the door and the body panel won't be enough to keep water out, and the fact that when you turn the truck a particular direction it allows the water in makes me suspicious that there is just enough flex to open the gap.

The other possibility may be that the latch and "Nader" bolt angle of mount/connection is not pulling the door tight enough into the body to fully compress the weather seal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
2 Posts
Roadlesstraveled - Yes, this is a possibility and I will talk to the dealer about this-thank you.

You would think that during its' first winter storms, things would work the way they should. Very frustrated and only at 10k. I was actually thinking this morning on trading her in. I was thinking it would be sad to do so for something so small. Not sure if I should try a different dealer. Do people usually stick with one dealer when there is an ongoing unsolved issue?

·
769 Posts
Roadlesstraveled - Yes, this is a possibility and I will talk to the dealer about this-thank you.

You would think that during its' first winter storms, things would work the way they should. Very frustrated and only at 10k. I was actually thinking this morning on trading her in. I was thinking it would be sad to do so for something so small. Not sure if I should try a different dealer. Do people usually stick with one dealer when there is an ongoing unsolved issue?

Mine has the same. It has to be the gasket sealed improperly. And no. I dealer shop. I hear all the time from the first dealer it’s supposed to be that way. Yeah right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1 Posts

So what was the outcome for you? This almost similar situation just happened to me and I am going through the same process with dealership and Nissan Corporate. I would appreciate knowing what was the conclusion. Very dissapointed myself . I have just a 2018 Pro 4X 9900 miles but not HD but same issue. Thanks

·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turns out this was indeed the case. “The vapor shield on passenger side door was not fully sealed during the manufacturing process, so new shield installed”. Truck now has 34K miles, 2 years ownership, no water getting in, no bad smells.

·
3 Posts
I just purchased a 2021 Titan SV and saw this too and was concerned. I was always accustomed to some form of molding covering the rain gutter channel. Nissan seems to paint over the adhesive instead of installing one. After examining further, I noticed that both the driver and passenger side at the front has a small gap near the windshield, which I think may leak into the cabin if there's heavy rain. Let me know if anyone else is experience water leaking into their cabin as this is common with past Titans. Here's some photos I took of the gap near the windshield.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts