Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm Steve and I am almost an owner of a 2016 Titan XD Platinum Reserve. I say "almost" because it is in the process of being shipped down from Maryland to Virginia and I am anxiously waiting a call from the dealer for me to come in and test drive. I'm very impatient, already have a check in hand from the bank and just waiting to inspect and drive it to see if I will be signing the check over or taking it back to the bank.

This will not be my first truck, but will be my first diesel. I have lurked this forum for the past few days soaking in as much information as possible so I can have some sort of an idea of what I'm getting myself into. Honestly, I originally thought of diesel for fuel efficiency purposes as I commute about 45 miles each day during the week, but from reading threads here I realize that the Titan is not exactly a fuel sipper by any means. I've also read many threads about the issues that the truck, especially the 2016 year model, has had and am hoping beyond hope that I won't be getting a lemon. But I've been on many different forums before and tend to steer clear of FUD and form opinions of my own based on my own experiences.

Overall, I am very excited about this truck. I probably will find myself hauling loads in the bed more often than towing anything, so maybe some will call me crazy for going diesel instead of gas. And that's fine. As long as I love the truck and it treats me as well as I will treat it, then that is what really matters. But, if anyone wants to try to talk some sense into me before hand, feel free!

·
279 Posts
I would invest in ScanGauge2 and hook it up before you test drive. Some truck are stuck in regen cause of DPF filter is too clogged, thus fuel economy is really bad. You can search forum on that.

·
16 Posts
The more and more I read the more I seem to convince myself that the gas is the better option. Even for occasional towing. If the crank issue has no apparent cause there is no way to mitigate it. In my own case I won't be hauling my towing rig on a trailer to a dealer 2 hrs away. I wonder if a swap to a 5.9 would be possible. The last few years would have similar specs to the 5.0.

The vast majority of people don't need a diesel. Many don't need trucks but none of that really matters ha.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, call me crazy, but I bought the truck! I did the test drive and looked the truck over inside and out and it was obvious to me that the previous owner took very good care of it. Beautiful truck and I love it! I agree that a diesel is probably overkill for my current application, but the wife and I will be buying a boat when her car is paid off, so I will get some towing in. And yeah, I'm sure a gas truck would be able to tow it with no issues too, but from what I've read here the gas Titans aren't all that much better on MPG's than the diesel. Point is, I love the truck! It is comfortable, sits high on the road, has plenty of power, my wife refuses to drive it, so I get it all to myself (bonus!), the previous owner was awesome enough to have wrapped it in Nitto Ridge Grapplers... and did I mention that I love it?

·
551 Posts
Congrats on the new-to-you Titan XD! It's yours to drive so have it your way, no matter what. I have the same, but a 2017. I currently have 69K miles on the truck and never towed nor hauled anything (yet). Pretty soon, I'll be doing some. But, I love the truck being diesel.

·
580 Posts
The more and more I read the more I seem to convince myself that the gas is the better option. Even for occasional towing. If the crank issue has no apparent cause there is no way to mitigate it. In my own case I won't be hauling my towing rig on a trailer to a dealer 2 hrs away. I wonder if a swap to a 5.9 would be possible. The last few years would have similar specs to the 5.0.

The vast majority of people don't need a diesel. Many don't need trucks but none of that really matters ha.
The 5.6 has a engine of death problem too, with Cylinder 7 scuffing itself to oblivion, destroying the engine.

·
16 Posts
The 5.6 has a engine of death problem too, with Cylinder 7 scuffing itself to oblivion, destroying the engine.
Just read through some of a 50 page thread on that. Now I'm wondering which engine is worse? ha

And Congrats to the OP on the truck. I'm not trying to derail your thread here. Just learning.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No worries, Daner. And thanks for the replies so far. I actually hit my first regen Wednesday. Ugh! that sucked down a lot of fuel!! Thanks, EPA! You guys truly are geniuses. /sarcasm. Luckily, I was on the Interstate when it happened. Unluckily, it hadn't finished by the time I got to work. So when I left for the day, it went into regen again within the first mile of me driving. I got back on the Interstate and about 7 miles down the road it finished.

I'm very tempted to write a nice complaint letter to my congressional rep about how the EPA's emissions regulations on diesel engines are stupid, inefficient, and destructive to our engines. Buuuuuutttttt..... Virginia's 4th district rep is a Democrat who sits on the House Committee on Energy and Commerce and the House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis, and 30% of the bills he's sponsored have been in the environmental protection category... so yeah. I'm sure he has a nice big recycle bin where that letter would find its home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts