Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
188 Posts
Has your truck received the latest ecm flash ......if not I recommend it...it really changed my mileage. I can get 17-18 in town. 20-23 hwy.
hey there; I think i'm getting good mileage on mine (around 20ish on the highway and 17ish around town country driving. about 12ish towing my 9k lb enclosed car hauler). but I am not sure i have the latest ecu reflash; about a year ago I had it flashed for the dead pedal and that helped alot. what is the latest flash? do u have a tsb number for that so i can ask my local Nissan dealer if i have it? I'd love to get another 2-3 mpg (i use it primarily for long trailer hauling)

·
468 Posts
My truck is a 2016 XD Platinum Reserve diesel 4X4, it has all the programming updates, I normally drive with the optional front air dam installed unless I know I'm going into rough country. I run with stock wheels and tires, no oversized mud tires and no giant lift kit, no chopped up wheel wells, none of the intake or exhaust systems have been modified or yanked out. Interstate speed limit around here is 70 mph, I don't baby the truck but I don't mash the pedal every time I take off either.

I regularly experience 20-23 mpg highway and 16-18 mpg town, under 5000 lbs towing with open bed trailer mpg doesn't change much at all, enclosed trailers and heavier loads really effect the mileage and the road/grade and wind all make a difference. Heavy work loads may take a bite out of the mileage but it has no problem pulling serious weight and/or climbing large grades.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
468 Posts
hey there; I think i'm getting good mileage on mine (around 20ish on the highway and 17ish around town country driving. about 12ish towing my 9k lb enclosed car hauler). but I am not sure i have the latest ecu reflash; about a year ago I had it flashed for the dead pedal and that helped alot. what is the latest flash? do u have a tsb number for that so i can ask my local Nissan dealer if i have it? I'd love to get another 2-3 mpg (i use it primarily for long trailer hauling)
I doubt you'll find a way to get much better mileage with this truck even with all the updates, there's only so much you can do with motor/transmission/body/frame combo. It's just going to take a minimum amount of energy (from a certain amount of fuel) to move that amount of weight with that amount of wind resistance and mechanical resistance and friction through a certain gear combination.

I haven't seen anyone report better than 20-23 mpg under normal highway conditions. But that ain't bad considering what the truck is and what it'll do.

·
62 Posts
I don’t know the tsb......sorry. Sounds like you are getting good mileage......when I first posted I was attempting to respond to the other poster....his mileage wasn’t so good.

·
468 Posts
I don’t know the tsb......sorry. Sounds like you are getting good mileage......when I first posted I was attempting to respond to the other poster....his mileage wasn’t so good.
Yep. Couldn't say for sure if you have all the updates but you mileage is about the best we've had posted.

I thought you can access your recall history somewhere on a Nissan site by entering your vin, someone posted it once I think, sorry I didn't save that.

·
24 Posts
So took a few folks advice and had my truck into Nissan and told the counter clown to do the ECM update and he stated " Highly doubt you need it or will it help with mileage." Then he goes on saying 15 MPG is the norm for this truck period...odd... So I said do the 20 dollar tire rotation and check the ECM. Two hours later tires rotated 80PSI in each and ECM and A/T module updated. I can honestly say its shifts way smoother not that I had any issues before upgrade. For the ECM and mileage I left the dealer and went on 3 hour hunting trip and got 18.8 MPG hand calculated much better than 16ish I was getting on same trip. Thank Guys.
p.s. dropped psi back down to 60 psi for comfort.

·
468 Posts
So took a few folks advice and had my truck into Nissan and told the counter clown to do the ECM update and he stated " Highly doubt you need it or will it help with mileage." Then he goes on saying 15 MPG is the norm for this truck period...odd... So I said do the 20 dollar tire rotation and check the ECM. Two hours later tires rotated 80PSI in each and ECM and A/T module updated. I can honestly say its shifts way smoother not that I had any issues before upgrade. For the ECM and mileage I left the dealer and went on 3 hour hunting trip and got 18.8 MPG hand calculated much better than 16ish I was getting on same trip. Thank Guys.
p.s. dropped psi back down to 60 psi for comfort.
Good on you for going through despite technition's statement about no improvement.

Tire pressure; I don't think I've ever had the dealership put the correct air pressure in these truck tires. They're usually off by at least 5 psi and the same all the way around. I always check them cold and normally stick with recommended 70 psi rear 65 psi front. I've seen some nasty wear patterns on improperly inflated tires not to mention potential problems with handling characteristics.

·
21 Posts
I'm lucky to get 11 mpg in city driving here in South Florida. Most of my driving is city which here we have a light almost every 50ft. On the HWY driving on cruise at 75mph I can probably get 15mpg.

Current set up:

2018 XD Pro4-X
Icon Stage1 Lift
295/70 R18
Catless B-Pipes
Borla XR1 muffler

Not sure if any of my set up makes a difference on my MPG. I love my truck and even if gets me 5mpg i wouldnt trade it :)

·
116 Posts
From Tehachapi to Mojave cruising 65mph... BIG tailwind! 33.1 mpg. Gasser.

Attachments

·
107 Posts

This was from a 80 mile drive yesterday. It was interstate for 65 miles at 76-79 mph and driving through a small town with 4 or 5 stop lights and minimal traffic. I live on the "low" end of Alabama near the gulf and was driving north so the entire trip was a slight but steady increase in elevation. I've noticed, as many have reported, that the mileage drops off pretty quick at 75 mph and above.

The "best" of 22.5 mpg shown in the picture was a 75 mile one way trip averaging 55-60 mph on two lane highways with a few small towns in the mix.

It's certainly not getting the mpg that my 1/2 ton Ecodiesel Ram or the little Canyon Duramax got but I didn't expect it to as it is a substantially larger truck.

My truck is stock and has 3940 miles on it as of last night.

·
115 Posts
So my diesel truck is stock and is averaging 18. Haven’t even had my first regen yet. Truck has 1200 miles on the clock. Will my MPG get better or stay the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
1,331 Posts
So I’ve seen some on here all stock getting an average of 22 on the highway where I average 18.
????

I average 16.4mpg normal driving with a mix of city and hwy.

22mpg avg has to be a single trip, wind pushing you while driving down hill. Sorry but I’d call bs on someone constantly having a 22mpg avg. now my best one time from start to stop is 21.8mpg.

·
214 Posts
In West Texas running 85 nets me 16.5-17.0 most days. Coming back from Midland with a tail wind got me 19.7 for a 130 miles trip. That is the best I have ever seen in this truck. Towing my flatbed gooseneck gets me 12, empty...

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Non towing average is bout 17

So I’ve seen some on here all stock getting an average of 22 on the highway where I average 18.
????

I did 21.5 running 55 constant doing a test trip on back roads in Texas.....55 keep in mind.
I run 65 MPH all day every day and get 19.5 average consistently but that didn't happen until after the first 10k in mileage.
Much like you, I got 18 when new.

·
1,324 Posts
Non towing average is bout 17

????

I did 21.5 running 55 constant doing a test trip on back roads in Texas.....55 keep in mind.
I run 65 MPH all day every day and get 19.5 average consistently but that didn't happen until after the first 10k in mileage.
Much like you, I got 18 when new.
Ive got 20k and i aint got my mpg steroid boost yet. Arice must have to best apple outta the basket ?

41 - 60 of 90 Posts