Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

New best MPG

32K views 92 replies 45 participants last post by  Hoofer 
#1 ·
Beat my personal best in the mileage department yesterday. The trip is about 10 miles with only 2 stop signs.

See less See more
#6 ·
24.6 mpg on a 300 mile trip with 5500 miles on the clock.. avg speed was 65mph with a bit of town driving .. no wind level ground.. if that's the best I ever get I will be a happy camper...my truck is a 4x2 btw ..I wish I had 3.7x gears in it as it does not do that well @ ~75 mph where I spend most of my time... xxx

#8 · (Edited)
The tank is obviously full. That is when most reset the economy meter. The trip odometer is 5.1 miles. True mileage will not be accurate until at least 30 miles if one is truly getting 27mpg. These gauges are far from realistic at certain times. As proof, I would love to reset at the top of a mountain and idle down to the bottom of it at at 65mph. ;)

#10 ·
My 2017 PR could probably get close to 30MPG...

... free-falling down a mine shaft... with a following wind!

Then again, it's only got 400 miles on it, so gimme time!

Now that I know what is possible, it might help with my case of LF-itis (lead-foot related malady!)

russ

#29 ·
Hurts to see that number pop up on the display but thank God it doesn't get that low mileage for long.

Drove a small Freightliner with an enclosed equipment box on the back and that pig never saw anything north of 10 mpg, I'd swear it would use that much fuel just coasting down a hill. I used to blame it on the automatic transmission, I always swore I could get much better with a manual and a two speed rear diff but the department didn't want to try to train the young hires how to drive a manual transmission vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I never reset my fuel mileage. My best trip from start up to shutting the truck off is 21.4 mpg. That was a 70 mile drive. The computer shows 16.2 mpg and the fuelly app shows 16.8 average, with a 18.8 best tank. That tank was 371 miles driven on 19.704 gallons. That includes pulling trailers also. My truck is a '17 PR Cummins 4x4. Thanks, Steven

#19 ·
I never reset my fuel mileage as well which has been holding steady at 18.5mpg for the past few months. The best I had was 25.6mpg and that was from Key West to Miami. I average around 20mpg on most trips that aren't quick trips to the gym/store. When I do hand calculations I average around 19mpg per tank. If it wasn't for idling in constant South Florida traffic it would be higher (and those pesky regens...).

The fuel mileage has been the best surprise about this truck. After months of shopping and test drives it was between the F-250 (gas) and the Titan XD Diesel. I'm happy with my choice so far as from what I can tell, the 6.2L gas engine on the Ford side is an absolute pig when it comes to fuel consumption.

Attachments

#30 ·
That Key West to Miami drive is both beautiful and undemanding. Shift into top gear on most portions of that highway and your mostly just idling along, you'll use more power running the ac than pushing the vehicle down the road. Our diesel XDs with anything under a 5000 lb. load would truly be understressed (in fact they might ask to stop for a margarita and a couple of crab cakes just to keep from getting bored) LOL

My wife's slightly massaged MX-5 got 42 mpg there, I was flabbergasted as after the up tune it often just made 28-29 on the highway.

I do love being in The Keys, though. Gorgeous

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I get around 16.5 on the best day and I do lots of highway driving. Just broke 10K miles.

#36 ·
The only way my Titan will see 23 MPG is on a flatbed. I am super conservative on driving but nothing better than 16.5 hand calculated.

#38 ·
Are you 2wd or 4x4? And what's your hwy speed limit because that has a lot to do with it. Speed limits very, I've seen everything from 60 to 85. I'm sure at 55, 60 guys are getting great mpg. Bump it up to running 80 everywhere and your mileage will suffer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.