Nissan Titan XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Nissan Titan XD 123K on the odometer. I was pulling my camper trailer and got a reduced power warning. Then the engine revved up real high like the transmission down shifted. I was broke down on the side of busy interstate. When I got to out noticed smoke when I opened the hood. I thought overheating, but when I looked closer I saw flames my starter was on fire, actually it was the rubber insulator around starter cabling.
I think this may have been from me trying to restart the motor. I didn't realize the starter will continue to turn after releasing the push button. The traffic noise prevented me from hearing the starter on the highway. I noticed the continuing to start when I was back home with a new starter installed.
I towed it back to the house and replaced the starter and the Batteries they were out dated. Engine still would not start checked codes it said the turbo actuator. That was installed and the code didn't change. So off to the dealer.
They provided me with a code sheet p00AF-00, U010C-00, P003A-00,P1A62-00, P0335-00 AND LAST P2509-00. Then they said all these codes point to the engine being seized and it needed to be replaced.
i barely drive the truck I have the vehicle mostly to pull the camper. So I am asking if anyone else has this experience with these codes all at once?
I work for an OEM and know the standard solution is always to replace a part rather then fix it. A $$20 K new motor isn't an easy solution I can accept. I now have the truck being taken to a diesel repair shop for at least a second opinion.
Can there be a less expensive repair that can be implemented?

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
923 Posts
You're not going to like this. You sound like the biggest hurdle you need to overcome.

You have a mechanical problem that brings you to a stop, so you try starting the engine instead of at least getting out and seeing if there are pieces everywhere, or if the engine even still has oil?

Then you put in another starter and try again?

I think the best solution is you get an electric pickup, like the new f-150.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks !! I have replaced the starter That's how I could determine that the motor was spinning over and wasn't starting (ignition) I did notice a small amount of oil on the bottom of the engine where the motor and transmision are connected. but nothing more then that.
I then had the truck picked up from Nissan dealership and taken to a diesel mechanic. Still waiting a second opinion for the motor replacement NISSAN recommends.
Electric is not the way to go.

·
2019 Titan XD Pro4x Cummins
923 Posts
Thanks !! I have replaced the starter That's how I could determine that the motor was spinning over and wasn't starting (ignition) I did notice a small amount of oil on the bottom of the engine where the motor and transmision are connected. but nothing more then that.
I then had the truck picked up from Nissan dealership and taken to a diesel mechanic. Still waiting a second opinion for the motor replacement NISSAN recommends.
Electric is not the way to go.
With your mileage some oil from either the rear main, or what gets vented off is natural.

Electric has its place. There are some major issues with it, but if you're in the very small group of people that can actually make effective, economic use of an electric vehicle... they can't be beat. From a maintenance standpoint, they're effectively solid state.

·
14 Posts
Ironically, I was towing my boat home just this past weekend and out of nowhere my truck signaled a REDUCED POWER WARNING. Luckily, traffic was flowing at a speed of 45 mph so I was able to keep going and oddly the warning light went off. I looked it up in my owners manual and indicated an issue with the fuel injectors so I stopped and to add an additive. After fueling up and allowing the engine to cool a bit, I got back on the road for another 45 miles to my home, and again the warning light came on...after slowing down to 45 mph...it went off again and never came on again. I changed the fuel filters just to be on the safe side...but now that it has been several days and miles the warning light hasn't come on again. My truck is a 2016 with about 120K miles similar to the original post above so I'm a bit concerned about my experience and what I can do to prevent a possible engine loss.
Please please POST when you the second opinion on your truck as I'm invested in hearing the outcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts