Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie truck owner angling to pick up some tips from the pros so am signing up today. "Hi, everybody."

Got lucky, my local dealer found the exact Titan XD I was looking to buy in another dealer's lot in CT so I didn't have to wait 3/mos - like my wife did to get her Toyota in the color she wanted. He even knocked off a few thou from list (thank you, TrueCar.)

Mine is a white Pro 4X with pretty much all the options, picked up a 20' enclosed car trailer from Elkhart, IN and hauled it back home to Long Island, NY. That was a 1,500 mile trip and I got to find out the Titan XD is a really capable, quiet and quite comfortable long distance cruiser. I have zero experience in towing so nothing to compare to but the truck seemed to not be bothered by what was behind it.

Not all went smoothly, though. I had just picked up the trailer when the yellow check engine light went on - and my heart sank. This is by far THE most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased and the choice was not easy - whose ads do you believe: Ford, Chevy, Ram? And now I'm looking at a - failed engine? I had checked all fluids before I left, all gauges and temps were fine, no warnings in the instrument messageboard, no leaks that I could see, no smoke and no smells to indicate anything was malfunctioning so I had to conclude it was a false alarm.

Still, having read the manual which says one must pull over immediately and cease driving when this light comes on or risk voiding the warranty, I was extremely nervous about continuing but in the end decided the truck was capable of doing so and it seemed the lesser of the two evils - of MAYBE having to underwrite massively expensive motor repairs out of my own pocket or CERTAINLY paying through the nose for a flatbed all the way to LI, towing a 20' trailer to boot, and all maybe for nothing. I was vindicated when the darn light disappeared after about 100 miles and never came back on. Turns out the truck was asking for a software update (now why don't they have an idiot light for that somewhere?)

Other than that, I love this vehicle. I didn't yet have the running boards on so getting in and out was always a good work out, and I'm 6'2"! Without a doubt, though, the weakest point is the fuel consumption. I was expecting to get 20-22 mpg on the trip to IN but according to my gauges was only getting 15-17. Since it can only carry 26 gallons this became a point of concern and I found I really had to pay attention to not run out of diesel. Poor fuel economy in combination with such a small tank (my gas Suburban held 42 gals) takes away from your trip because you now have to allocate care and attention to something other than what you want. Why on earth can't they squeeze another smaller tank somewhere inside that huge chassis? If they sealed up the massive chassis rails and used them as auxiliary gas tanks (a la Buell motorcycles) they could probably add another 10 gals (160 miles.)

·
80 Posts
The DEF tank takes up space. All the new diesel's suffer from this except the Duramax but you have to have that tank hanging lower than the frame. The F250 shortbed has the same 26 gallon tank size and similar numbers of mpg.

·
450 Posts
I have to ask....having never towed anything before you seem to have purchased this truck with a very specific task in mind. What's the trailer for?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Kadoi. You're right on! We just sold my 93/yr old mother's apartment in NYC and her "stuff" is in storage nearby. After going through what we don't want we'll pack up this trailer and haul it plus my mother down to a new home in FL. The comfort level and quietness are important features (she's used to being driven in a Mercedes and refuses to fly.) It's like Nissan foresaw my needs and built me this truck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts