Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice ride!
I bought a used ‘17 Titan XD regular cab 10 months ago and I am quite pleased with it. I have owned 8 pickup trucks over the past 47 years and I can’t recall being more satisfied with my purchase than I am today. My first pickup, a 1965 F100 that I bought used in 1973, was arguably more fun but only because I was a teenager and all I cared about was smoking the rear tires with the stock 352ci V-8.

I have driven only 4,500 miles in my 5.6L gas XD in 10 months and overall she has performed well.

THE GOOD: smooth-running/powerful 5.6L gas motor, responsive steering, strong 4-wheel drive, tight doors/tailgate/fit/trim, highly functional accessories.

THE BAD: transmission is a bit psychotic, let me explain . . .
Low revs - shifting is smooth and predictable
Medium revs - overshoots low-gear shift points on the way up, and downshifts too quickly on the way down
High revs - whole ’nother ballgame . . . shifting turns steroidal and behaves more like that pissed-off, caged gorilla in the old American Tourister luggage commercial.

With all this in mind, I am a retiree and I spend 95% of my drive time in the slow lane so the funky-at-high-revs transmission really doesn’t bother me. I do spend a lot of time working to make my truck more functional. I added a rear backup camera, front hitch, fold-up bumper step, solid metal tonneau cover and fog lights.

This is my first foreign truck and as I said at the beginning, I am quite happy with it. I won’t be giving it up any time soon.

·
130 Posts
THE BAD: transmission is a bit psychotic, let me explain . . .
Low revs - shifting is smooth and predictable
Medium revs - overshoots low-gear shift points on the way up, and downshifts too quickly on the way down
High revs - whole ’nother ballgame . . . shifting turns steroidal and behaves more like that pissed-off, caged gorilla in the old American Tourister luggage commercial.

With all this in mind, I am a retiree and I spend 95% of my drive time in the slow lane so the funky-at-high-revs transmission really doesn’t bother me. I do spend a lot of time working to make my truck more functional. I added a rear backup camera, front hitch, fold-up bumper step, solid metal tonneau cover and fog lights.

This is my first foreign truck and as I said at the beginning, I am quite happy with it. I won’t be giving it up any time soon.
There is IIRC a TSB for a transmission software update to address the types of issues you are having. You may want to check into that. Did you buy it from a Nissan dealer? If so, it should be done. But, you never know sometimes...

Looks good. I like the additions. I added the fogs also, bed cover is coming soon. Curious about the front hitch, what is your use for it? I had one on a previous truck, only because in my youth I was heavily into offroad trail riding and mudding, Since I had a winch on a receiver mount with quick-connect wiring at both ends of the truck, I could run the winch on either the front or back to get myself unstuck as needed.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is IIRC a TSB for a transmission software update to address the types of issues you are having. You may want to check into that. Did you buy it from a Nissan dealer? If so, it should be done. But, you never know sometimes...

Looks good. I like the additions. I added the fogs also, bed cover is coming soon. Curious about the front hitch, what is your use for it? I had one on a previous truck, only because in my youth I was heavily into offroad trail riding and mudding, Since I had a winch on a receiver mount with quick-connect wiring at both ends of the truck, I could run the winch on either the front or back to get myself unstuck as needed.
Thanks for the advice re: transmission shifting issue. The front hitch gives me the option of adding a heavy hook for pulling, a cargo basket to haul my generator, a bike rack, or a bump step so I can step up and reach items on the motor.

·
130 Posts
Thanks for the advice re: transmission shifting issue. The front hitch gives me the option of adding a heavy hook for pulling, a cargo basket to haul my generator, a bike rack, or a bump step so I can step up and reach items on the motor.
Gotcha. If I had any kind of fabrication skills whatsoever, I'd make a step that snaps on to the factory tow hooks on my XD for that very reason.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotcha. If I had any kind of fabrication skills whatsoever, I'd make a step that snaps on to the factory tow hooks on my XD for that very reason.
Unfortunately my XD had no tow hooks. The Curt front hitch however came with hooks on each side so that helps. I bought a $50 bump step from Walmart that inserts right into the 2-inch receiver and works great.

·
11 Posts
I'd also just bought a '17 XD gas, single cab SV. I'm using truck as my second vehicle for DIY homeowner stuff and driving on forest roads to go camping/fishing. Which fold up bumper step did you get, as it's a huge leap to get up to the bed right now. I already upgraded the head unit and sound system, map light bulbs, and high and low beam LED bulbs. Will be adding L tracks, cargo bed lighting under fold-up tonneau cover, and winch on bed to pull up lawn equipment like aerator from a ramp.

·
130 Posts
I'd also just bought a '17 XD gas, single cab SV. I'm using truck as my second vehicle for DIY homeowner stuff and driving on forest roads to go camping/fishing. Which fold up bumper step did you get, as it's a huge leap to get up to the bed right now. I already upgraded the head unit and sound system, map light bulbs, and high and low beam LED bulbs. Will be adding L tracks, cargo bed lighting under fold-up tonneau cover, and winch on bed to pull up lawn equipment like aerator from a ramp.
This should be what you need:

This is a newer part number, not sure what the difference is as both are same price:

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This should be what you need:

This is a newer part number, not sure what the difference is as both are same price:

I ordered the 999T7-W4800 and it was quick to install. The step is solidly built, folds down/up easily, and makes it far less stressful to climb into the truck bed. It was a nice addition to my XD.
I also considered adding a winch but instead went with a hitch-mounted crane. I’ve got it on order and I plan to use it to lift generators and other heavy items into the truck bed.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great. Yea, I'm also considering that setup with the hitch mounted crane instead of winch. https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-70238-Receiver-Hitch-Mounted/dp/B008CE0WCW
I live in Florida where we have occasional, days-long power failures due to hurricanes. I need a heavy portable generator to connect to the house circuit box. The only way to load this 475 pound beast onto my truck by myself is with the hitch crane. I tried ramps but had a near-death experience.

·
130 Posts
That crane is pretty cool. I am also in FL and have a dual-fuel generator. I was contemplating getting a few 100lb propane tanks instead of storing a bunch of gasoline, and was wondering how I'd load and unload them especially after getting them filled.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also added a metal tri-fold tonneau cover that I bought used. It is heavy but it works very well. Which high/low beam LEDs did you install?

·
11 Posts
I bought the LED headlights from Amazon. Fahren brand but beware, I had to get a free replacement from Amazon bc only 1 of 2 bulbs from each set worked. After replacement, no problem. Maybe it's a brand issue but I figured they are all made in China with varying quality control and no warranty.

Here's the bulb guide.

HEADLIGHTS LOW -- H11 (HALOGEN)
HEADLIGHTS HIGH-- HB3 (HALOGEN)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts