Nissan Titan XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a shop near me that works on customizing 4x4's and I was talking to the owner yesterday....
He said that there are alternate gears available for the rear end of the Titan. He said if I changed to a numerically lower gear ratio, I could gain some mpg...
For my application of this truck, the loss of a little jump off the line doesn't matter. Most of my time using the truck is hauling my slide in truck camper over highways to camping destinations. So, more mpg is appealing. If I really need a lower gear to get into a mountain campsite, I do have 4 wheel low....

Any comments, ideas, cautions before i begin the process of buying new gears and getting them installed?

·
165 Posts
Seems to be appropriate. I think it's a good move if you're not worried about the get up and go loss. I'm sure it wouldn't be super significant either, but noticeable. Hey, if it works for what you need it for, and does it better than it did stock, I'd say go for it.

·
658 Posts
There is a shop near me that works on customizing 4x4's and I was talking to the owner yesterday....
He said that there are alternate gears available for the rear end of the Titan. He said if I changed to a numerically lower gear ratio, I could gain some mpg...
For my application of this truck, the loss of a little jump off the line doesn't matter. Most of my time using the truck is hauling my slide in truck camper over highways to camping destinations. So, more mpg is appealing. If I really need a lower gear to get into a mountain campsite, I do have 4 wheel low....

Any comments, ideas, cautions before i begin the process of buying new gears and getting them installed?
Correct me if im wrong, but in a 4wd vehicle, you would need to change the front end gearing too.

·
1,979 Posts
For the amount of money it will cost it will take you a long long time to recuperate your savings plus you might end up loosing your CC like the previous Titans.
My vote would be to leave it alone, it not worth it and you're gonna make it a bigger slug.

·
285 Posts
For the amount of money it will cost it will take you a long long time to recuperate your savings plus you might end up loosing your CC like the previous Titans.
My vote would be to leave it alone, it not worth it and you're gonna make it a bigger slug.
I agree. However, if you have deep pockets and just need to satisfy a compulsion to personalize it to such a degree, you probably don't need much advise from us. And you do have to change front and rears. After you do that, you're going to want more power. It will never end. I'm beginning to think you might have been happier with something else.

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, i forgot to mention that the guy did say the front diff gears would have to be done too. Since this is the last truck I will ever own/drive, I don't mind putting some money into it...if I get a reasonable return.

I really don't think there is a better (stock diesel) truck on the market for the work I need this truck to do. But, saying that doesn't mean that this is the "perfect" truck either. I've owned a lot of trucks and not one of them did everything perfectly....

I was hoping to pick up a few miles per gallon and over the next 15 years that I will drive this truck the cost of those gallons should add up...especially if the price of diesel goes up.

I'm happy to entertain any comments so I can make sure I know what I'm getting into before I make up my mind....
Thanks to everyone that has chimed in so far!

·
285 Posts
Yeah, i forgot to mention that the guy did say the front diff gears would have to be done too. Since this is the last truck I will ever own/drive, I don't mind putting some money into it...if I get a reasonable return.

I really don't think there is a better (stock diesel) truck on the market for the work I need this truck to do. But, saying that doesn't mean that this is the "perfect" truck either. I've owned a lot of trucks and not one of them did everything perfectly....

I was hoping to pick up a few miles per gallon and over the next 15 years that I will drive this truck the cost of those gallons should add up...especially if the price of diesel goes up.

I'm happy to entertain any comments so I can make sure I know what I'm getting into before I make up my mind....
OK then! Let's move forward! How about something like this? http://www.gearvendors.com

I owned a truck with one and REALLY liked it. It was an OVER as opposed to UNDER and had 6 forward speeds on a '92 F350 that had been upgraded to a Banks Stinger Plus. A monster truck, but was going to cost $10K to convert to 4wd....enter a 99.5 Powerstroke 4wd. There is the potential for you to have 12 forward gears with a super OD! Would wait 'til warranty is done, though and maybe a little cheaper.

·
1,979 Posts

Long term wise you would be better too loose the Emissions crap after the warranty is up, that will yield you the most fuel savings & reliability. You'd be dumping some weight & a whole lotta restrictions. I just don't think the gears will save you what you're looking for unless you did a majority of your driving on the Hyw.

·
430 Posts
Nissan went with the 3.91 ratio over the 3.55 to meet their projected tow ratings. Changing the gearing would realistically lower that capacity.

·
285 Posts
The beauty of something like the Gearvendor is that original gearing can be retained. Unfortunately, not likely to be available for our trucks.

I agree delete kits would be a good choice from a technical perspective to free up the power of this engine. It will be interesting to see what the future for delete kits is. I don't think the EPA itself is or will be pulling over trucks to inspect, but have read in a few states penalties for individuals are pretty stiff (up to $25,000) for messing with emissions controls although I know of no case where an individual was prosecuted anywhere in the US.

However, Edge Products was recently fined $500,000 for selling 9000 devices since 2007 that allowed diesel owners to bypass or delete emissions controls. I don't think the future is very bright.

Reactions: Bikerndiver

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nissan went with the 3.91 ratio over the 3.55 to meet their projected tow ratings. Changing the gearing would realistically lower that capacity.
I don't really tow anything...well, not anything really heavy. The heaviest trailer I tow is about 3,000 pounds, so changing the gears shouldn't affect what I use the truck for.

I do like that overdrive/underdrive unit though..... I'm still evaluating what to do......
I really appreciate the feedback and I'm going to do something soon....

·
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, there are gears out there according to the guy i spoke with. Apparently, the rear end and front diff in our trucks have been used in other applications...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts